Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By GoldBadge
  • 1 Post By Michigan
  • 1 Post By Taylor13
  • 1 Post By GoldBadge
  • 1 Post By DKTransit

Thread: Do you like being a LE Explorer?

Conservator of the Forum

Do you like being a LE Explorer?

My son just joined the local police explorer post on Long Island, NY. He's looking to follow in his dad's LE footsteps. He thought he'd be doing actually police type work until I sat him down and told him that without a badge and a gun, he's could just expect to watch and learn.

My question to you young men and women who are explorers, do you like it? Did you learn from it? Did it keep you away from the "bad crowd?"

Thanks!
    z3Constance likes this.
    "They don’t think it be like it is, but it do."

Former Major League Baseball player Oscar Gamble

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldBadge View Post
    My son just joined the local police explorer post on Long Island, NY. He's looking to follow in his dad's LE footsteps. He thought he'd be doing actually police type work until I sat him down and told him that without a badge and a gun, he's could just expect to watch and learn.

My question to you young men and women who are explorers, do you like it? Did you learn from it? Did it keep you away from the "bad crowd?"

Thanks!
    I was an explorer many years ago. I loved it. I kept my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open. I learned a lot and found myself a couple of role models along the way. Because of my time spent as an explorer I also got some nice connections which later came in very, very handy... : )

In my experience a lot of explorers are looking for the power and prestige that comes with wearing a uniform. Tell your son to stay away from the people who have no business being a cop. Those explorers wash out soon enough, normally doing something stupid while representing the department.

I learned what being a cop was about and got a sneak peak into a world that the public doesn't get to see. It only enhanced my drive to become cop.
    z3Constance likes this.
    Certified troll.

Conservator of the Forum
    Thanks Michigan. All kidding aside with you on this board (from me), you're a great example of a success story.

My son's a super kid, but I want him to keep his head on straight through his teen years, and if he still wants to go into LE after a good dose of exploring, I'll fully support him.

P.S. Since I know so many superior officers on the department, the kid is going to be under a cop's wing all the time.

Forum Member
    Actually I dont Like being an Explorer, I LOVE it. Best thing Ive ever become a part of. My Dad is a reited Police Officer (retired in May after 36 years). Excellent program, learn a TON, meet great people (My closest friends are Explorers), great expierence, puts you a dozen steps ahead if you choose to become a LEO. All in all, fantastic expierence.
    "Less Than One Half Of One Percent of Police Officers misfit that uniform, and that's a better average than you'd find among clergymen"-Paul Harvey

Senior Veteran
    I started out as an explorer and did it all through high school. I learned a lot about the job, both good and bad. Also, being an explorer in a small town department I got the opportunity to talk on radio, fill out tickets for the officers, etc. Lots of god training and it helped make me the officer I am now!
    "My give a damn's busted"

Forum Member

I really wish my interest in LE came about before I turned 18 years old, because I think it would be a golden opportunity to gain knowledge, experience and build connections.

Macho Man

I have an awesome post with great advisers and some great fellow explorers. There's some things you have to understand though. Because I do this, there's a lot of people I can't hang around, there's a lot of things and places I can't go all the time, and there's a lot of relationships that've been ruined, both friends and lady friends. We might be teenagers but we can't go around joy riding in a stolen car drunk off our azzes. We're expected to hold up to almost the same standards as you guys, granted everyone should, but we all know how people are.

The awesome part is we get some fun training, learn a lot of fun things, and get to see things no one outside of the LE community will see or even understand. It's a great opportunity & foot in the door.
    z3Constance likes this.

Forum Member
    I was an Explorer for 3 years when I was in high school and like others have stated it is what truly gave me the drive to go after a career in Law Enforcement. As long as you have your head on straight and understand what the position is about, then it is a great chance for a young individual to become involved and learn about Law Enforcement.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    I was an explorer many years ago. I loved it. I kept my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open. I learned a lot and found myself a couple of role models along the way. Because of my time spent as an explorer I also got some nice connections which later came in very, very handy... : )

In my experience a lot of explorers are looking for the power and prestige that comes with wearing a uniform. Tell your son to stay away from the people who have no business being a cop. Those explorers wash out soon enough, normally doing something stupid while representing the department.

I learned what being a cop was about and got a sneak peak into a world that the public doesn't get to see. It only enhanced my drive to become cop.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I am currently an explorer, and it has taught me a large amount about LE and has given me connections and knowledge that will undoubtedly help me in the hiring process. There will always be explorers who are there for a fake sense of authority, and they're quick to identify themselves with that philosophy, but many explorers are there for the learning opportunity.

Conservator of the Forum
    Thanks Guys (or Gals ). They are the answers I was hoping for. The explorers in my son's post seem like good kids and the PO's leading the group and the advisors seem to enjoy what they are doing and make sure the kids keep their heads screwed on right. It's just the enviroment I want for him, whether he ultimately decides to become a cop or not.

When I was a uniform cop, I remember the explorers as being good, well mannered kids. I'm glad that hasn't changed.

Forum Member

My couple years as captain of our post were usually just frustration.

Conservator of the Forum
    Well, my son attended his third meeting last night and they did drills (I call it PT). He seems to like what is doing what is on the agenda for the next several months. But now my boy understands why I bitched and moaned about PT at 3 different academies that I attended.
    GreenZone09 likes this.

Delta Response

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBadge View Post
    Well, my son attended his third meeting last night and they did drills (I call it PT). He seems to like what is doing what is on the agenda for the next several months. But now my boy understands why I bitched and moaned about PT at 3 different academies that I attended.
    I WISH the Post I had been a member of had done PT. Being an explorer had its pros and cons. I LOVED the people I was in the post with and it really brought me out of my shell. I also gained quite a bit of knowledge about what the job really was and that is where my passion for law enforcement began. I was elected to the rank of Sergeant after a year and it was quite the experience, being that I was one of the youngest explorers. It also kept me out of trouble, as I was an explorer in the same city I lived and attended high school.

On the negative side, the advisors kept telling us officers to run the Post, yet everytime we did they micromanaged us.

Obviously the pros outweigh the cons I would encourage your son to stick with it. It looks great on a resume and can help lead to other jobs such as Community Service Officer and then to Police Officer.
    z3Constance likes this.

Forum Member

I really like it. You get a great opportunity to learn and see if it's really for you, without the commitment of going to the academy. I highly encourage anyone who is considering law enforcement to take a look at an explorer post. You probably won't find many people who dont like it though - if they really didn't like it they would just leave the post.

Forum Member

I started out as a LE explorer many many moons ago.Loved It.I still use some of the tactics I learned to this very day!!!!18 years later.

Forum Member

Love it a lot. Been in six years, 20 now and getting ready to start the academy in the summer for my dream city, the same post I have been in the entire time. Also joined the Marines along the way. It has helped me tremendously and set me above most others based upon everything I have learned in my time there. I am expecting it to help me in the academy all the more.

Forum Member

eh... was ok...
    I think about the only thing which hadn't made the trip into this guy's colon was a greyhound bus.
    ~Kieth M.

Man In Tan

Explorer

Forum Member
    As an explorer now, I love my post and the activities we do. It differs post to post but generally you get great experience, and I've spoken to many officers who've started their career as an explorer, it's a great way to get exposure.

Forum Member
    I started as an explorer when I was 14. Joined a sheriff explorer post. It was a great experience and like others have said I was able to meet officers that have mentored me. I have no LEO relatives or family, every LE contact that I have has been done by myself. The explorer post helped me to learn about LE and also narrow down what I wanted to do in LE. The sheriff post was ok, but because it changed hands so many times I was never able to advance until the year I aged out.. When I was 18 I found out the the Highway Patrol had an explorer post and joined it. For 3 years until I aged out at 21 I was doing both posts. I learned more in those 3 years with the Highway Patrol than i did in the 5 years with the Sheriff. I am currently in the backgrounds for CHP and most likely going to be in January class.

On a side note, there were definitely those kids in the sheriff post that did not belong, I believe they stayed because the discipline was too lax. When I was with the CHP post the training was tough, there was no fooling around. You were dedicated or you were out. I cant wait to become an officer and help other young people work towards their dreams.
    "I don't always downshift, but when I do it's next to a Prius so they can hear me hurt the environment."

Forum Boss
    It changed my life.

Obviously, there were ups and downs but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mitojo View Post
    I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

Forum Member
    From 1969 to 1972 I was a Law Enforcement Explorer and it was one of the BEST things I ever did in my life. Although I ultimately went to the "Dark side" (became a firefighter instead of a cop), the experiences, training and contacts I made helped me in my career, landing me a position as Fire Chief and Manager of a municipal code enforcement program. Most of my 38 year fire career was spent in fire prevention, fire/arson investigation, and code enforcement. With my fire shift schedule, I was also able to complete the Police Academy and serve 16 years as a Reserve Officer (CA Level I), so I had the best of both worlds.

As has been stated already, keep your head out of your ***, pay attention to what you are taught, keep your mouth closed, absorb everything you can, and you will be highly rewarded later in life.
    everyonegoeshome.com