1. #1
    Forum Member
    elchorizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    The lightning strike capital of the U.S.

    Hillsborough Co. FL deputy shot 3x by USMC OIF vet

    A female Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy is in serious but stable condition after she was shot by a suspect.

    The shooting suspect, 24-year-old Matthew Lane Buendia, is being charged with attempted murder of a law enforcement officer with a firearm, battery by strangulation, battery and tampering with a state witness.

    Buendia was taken into custody after a 4 1/2 hours standoff.

    A SWAT team shot more than a dozen "chemical" canisters into the suspect's apartment when he retreated there after officials said he shot 35-year-old Hills Co. Sheriff's deputy Lyonelle De Veaux three times.

    Sheriff Gee said De Veaux was shot three times - once in the upper leg, once in the lower leg, once in the shoulder. The bullet that entered her shoulder did not pass through and remained lodged in her body.

    Sheriff Gee said despite being hit three times, more than a dozen bullets were found around De Veaux's patrol cruiser after a preliminary investigation.

    HCSO official says a SWAT team deployed multiple "chemicals" that will make a person "pass out" in an effort to end the standoff with the suspect peacefully. Officials said the canisters were not necessarily "tear gas", as the chemical canisters were more effective.

    HCSO spokesperson Larry McKinnon said deputies responded to a 911 call at the suspects apartment at in 4747 W. Waters Ave. around 10:22 p.m. Friday night.

    Soon after the deputies arrived, shots were fired.

    It is believed the deputy was shot in the Inwood Park Apartment Homes. These apts. are located just east of Veterans Expressway and north of Tampa International Airport.

    After a long standoff with deputies, a SWAT team busted down the door of the apt. and sent a robot in to see inside the heavily gassed apt. Through a camera on the robot, detectives located Buendia in a closet off the master bedroom.

    He was passed out. Sheriff Gee did not know he was unconcious as a result of the chemicals or if he had a self-inflicted wound.

    There were no visible wounds on Buendia. Both he and the deputy were taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa.

    Once Buendia is released he will taken to jail.

    HCSO deputies, family members and friend have been by to visit Le Veaux as she recovers in a heavily sedated state at the hospital.


    Suspect's Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/matt.buendia?sk=wall

    He posted a couple of weeks ago about seeking treatment at a local VA clinic. Sadly, he isn't the first, or probably the last vet to come home and end up doing this ****. As a vet, I want to see these guys get the mental health help they need, but as a cop I can't excuse this.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    SgtScott31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Regardless of his issues as a Vet, he's going to be spending the next 30 years in prison.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    South Sioux City, NE
    Now that he is out of the closet he can get along fine in prison.

    Good wishes to the officer on her recovery.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register