Thread: Hired!

Forum Member

Hired!

I just got hired by the Kansas DOC and couldn't be any happpier or more excited to begin my career and soak up every bit of knowledge I can! I am very young and was curious how old some of you were when you got hired for your first law enforcement type job? I begin the 6 week KDOC academy on December 12th.

Forum Member

congrats on your new career, I'm 25 yrs old and currently in the NYC DOC academy right now...

It's Complicated
    I was just over 21 when I was first hired by the Iowa BUREAU of Adult Corrections....Now known as the Iowa DOC.

Where will you be working?
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    I will be working at the Lansing Correctional Facility. I am only 19 right now and thought I really had no chance at all to be hired. I will be turning 20 in November and then going through the academy for 6 weeks in December so I'll actually be 20 when I start.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    I was 26.

OP, Congrats.....You have a VERY trying, but potentially very rewarding job ahead of you.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

It's Complicated
    I toured the Lansing facility in 1990. Neat place lots of good staff from all I have heard.

Our Member TheKansan worked there before he went Fed
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    I'm 26 and just got on with Nevada Department of Corrections.

Forum Member

Good for you brother. I have been in NYS Corrections for over 4 yrs. got in when i was 26, now 30. The dept has offered me many new opportunities. The trick is...you have to go and get them. I got a transpo bid job on day shift w/ 10 months. then on CERT with a year and a half. I got permoted to Investigator last year november. You are the only thing holding yerself back. Remember that and you will be fine. welcome to the brotherhood!

Forum Member

Congratulations man. I'm 26 and I just got hired today as well and am looking forward to joining the ranks. It's a good feeling to start this journey isn't it?

Forum Member
    It does feel very well, I'm grateful for the opportunity I have before me with so many people facing such difficult times finding a job right now.
    Last edited by TrooperWisher; 09-27-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Forum Member

Congrats, I just got hired as a county jail (Las Vegas Metro) CO this week as well. I start the 18 week academy on November 14. I can't wait.

Patrullero

Congratulations. I started at Lansing too.

Quote Originally Posted by TrooperWisher View Post
    I just got hired by the Kansas DOC and couldn't be any happpier or more excited to begin my career and soak up every bit of knowledge I can! I am very young and was curious how old some of you were when you got hired for your first law enforcement type job? I begin the 6 week KDOC academy on December 12th.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Forum Member
    Great job and congratulations. I am a deputy working in a county facility in NC, didn't start till i was 32. great career, be safe and learn all you can.
    Let no man's ghost say that my training failed him.

Forum Member

Im 25 and just recently started a gig in Juvenile corrections.

Forum Member
    Thank you for the kind wishes everybody. I am very excited to begin and also curious as to what type of equipment I will be provided.

It's Complicated
    Thank you for the kind wishes everybody. I am very excited to begin and also curious as to what type of equipment I will be provided.
    Everything you will need will be provided.

Uniforms
    Handcuffs
    OC (if KDOC issues it)

Weapons if you are in a post (tower) that need them are issued at that time

The only thing not issued is common sense....................that you have to bring with you each day. Good communications skills also are not issued but are manditory.

Patrullero
    When I worked at Lansing a few years ago, we were issued all uniforms (BDU top/bottom, and brown t-shirts), boots, and a duty belt. Also we were given a radio and keys at the post where we were assigned. The same with firearms if you worked an armed post. Only 1st Sgt. and above carried OC. After 6 months they give you the polo shirts, but you can buy your own earlier than that if you want it.

I was 5 days open when I worked there, which meant that I filled in wherever I was needed, and I had a chance to work every post. My favorites included Max Kitchen #1, Max Dining, TRU unit (always fun in there), Tower #2 (best tower), and any of the yard officer positions. My least favorites were C-seg, anything on the hill (bored beyond belief), security patrol, medium visiting, and medium yard.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Forum Member

I work in a state prison. I was hired at the tender age of 24. I am now 29. Congratulations on getting hired with the state of Kansas. Don't let the inmates see you "sweat".

Forum Member
    Very good advice about the common sense. I guess I started a bit late. I was 27 when I first went to prison, I mean began working as a Correctional Officer.
    Last edited by IdahoPO; 12-27-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Forum Member

I was 19 when I started working for the NJ DOC. That was in September 1986. It has been a long haul, but I have learned many things. Stay sharp and listen to the old-timers. We're here to help. Good luck and be safe.

Forum Member

Congrats! I am currently 24 years old and Currently in the WA DOC academy! You will have fun i am sure! Good luck and stay safe!