Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Air Force Civilian Police

Forum Member

Air Force Civilian Police

Anyone on here an AF Civilian Police Officer? If so, what is your opinion about the way the AF runs its civilian police program?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hangman View Post
    Anyone on here an AF Civilian Police Officer? If so, what is your opinion about the way the AF runs its civilian police program?
    Conservative answer:
    Kind of a slippery-slope to answer. I will post that I have observed that the program is run differently from location-to-location. This appears to be due to the dynamics of each location (i.e. duty requirements, threat, manpower, and hierarchical personalities). I'm sure that the DAF PO program is met with--and managed with--varying degrees of enthusiasm.

Unrestrained answer:
    Omitted.
    Last edited by I0347; 09-21-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hangman View Post
    The word sucks comes to mind

Forum Member
    I think it is a good job in the federal system to get 0083 experience. Is it a career type job....No. If you do not like to work gates or fixed positions you will not like it. If you just want your foot in the door for law enforcement work it is a great job to do that. Pay is decent and its low key law enforcement, no kicking doors and hot calls or pursuits. Its better than the Federal Bureau of Prisons I can tell you that.

No Creds
    No off duty carry

Any specific questions Ill be happy to answer.
    Senior Correctional Officer
    FCI Dublin

Meat Popscicle
    Ditto what was said. Aside from that your gonna have to form your opinion. Each base has a different experience to deal with.
    He who has never learned to obey
    cannot be a good commander.
    Aristotle

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raidergx View Post
    I think it is a good job in the federal system to get 0083 experience. Is it a career type job....No. If you do not like to work gates or fixed positions you will not like it. If you just want your foot in the door for law enforcement work it is a great job to do that. Pay is decent and its low key law enforcement, no kicking doors and hot calls or pursuits. Its better than the Federal Bureau of Prisons I can tell you that.

No Creds
    No off duty carry

Any specific questions Ill be happy to answer.
    It also depends on your location. Each location seems to have different posting. Some locations perform mostly patrol functions, whereas others, mostly fixed. Certain states and locales also recognize "DOD" civilian law enforcement as "peace officers" and don't give them any beef about concealed carry (not rehashing a discussion about CCW again...). A good portion of civilian officers are retired military, and are performing a job they already know while collecting an additional check, for others it's a stepping stone to get into the federal system, while others are seeking some LEO experience and are using it to put on the resume. As for me, I needed a job, and have prior military LE experience. So, many different reasons, and many different approaches to "how" the program is managed and perceived.

Forum Member

I0347 through your experience and the folks you have networked with is one branch's civilian law enforcement more 'high speed' than another? Meaning am I more inclined to stand a post with limited patrolling ability at a Naval base (for example) than an air installation?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by caseyp View Post
    I0347 through your experience and the folks you have networked with is one branch's civilian law enforcement more 'high speed' than another? Meaning am I more inclined to stand a post with limited patrolling ability at a Naval base (for example) than an air installation?
    I would have to say that the differences are seen at each duty location, and not per branch of service. While at the VALETC, for formal training and through networking, I've met DAF POs from all over, and noticed that the duty posting, policies, and management personalities were different at every location. Even the uniforms and equipment have significant differences in many cases. Some locations have a very good working relationship with management, others a passive neglect, and others are treated with outright hostility (this of course changes in scope and frequency as military management changes...permanent civilian leadership would remedy that). Then you deal with jurisdicational boundaries, and the local JAGs intrepretation of law (I've heard some real shockers about a few JAGs). So you see, "per branch of service" probably isn't the operative phrase, but more like "per specific location."

Meat Popscicle
    I don't think any one branch is better than they other. As bad as things can get at times, there is also the factor of what you make of it. One person can have a bad experience, while another may not. Being involved as I am with Afge and DEFCON, I see all the bad and good from all the branches. I would give it a chance and let yourself be the judge as only you can form your opinion.
    He who has never learned to obey
    cannot be a good commander.
    Aristotle

Forum Member

Great guys thanks for your input! I guess the only way to see if it's for me is to get into it and figure it out myself!

Solo is how I roll
    The Air Force quit doing any meaningful LE in 1997.....

If I had any desire to do military 0083 work, I would look at the Army's program.

I0347, although I did not get along with your former Dix bros, I will admit it appeared their management at the time let them be cops, I always envied them for that despite all their shenanigans towards us.

If I had any desire to do 0083 work in general, from what I have seen and heard I would go U.S. Park Police.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by statebear View Post
    The Air Force quit doing any meaningful LE in 1997.....

If I had any desire to do military 0083 work, I would look at the Army's program.

I0347, although I did not get along with your former Dix bros, I will admit it appeared their management at the time let them be cops, I always envied them for that despite all their shenanigans towards us.

If I had any desire to do 0083 work in general, from what I have seen and heard I would go U.S. Park Police.
    The job's improving at certain locations. On the civilian LEO side (at my location), we're the continuity (or supposed to be). For most of us, we focus on LE, get as much additional training as we can on it, and try to fosture and maintain good relationships with the local PD (which isn't bad right now). On the military side, I think the career field is in an identity crisis. They seem to be focused on infantry skills, fitness tests (#1), and deployments. Very little thought is LE for them. It's a shame.

So USPP is your #1 pick? What are your thoughts on the VA?

Solo is how I roll
    Quote Originally Posted by I0347 View Post
    The job's improving at certain locations. On the civilian LEO side (at my location), we're the continuity (or supposed to be). For most of us, we focus on LE, get as much additional training as we can on it, and try to fosture and maintain good relationships with the local PD (which isn't bad right now). On the military side, I think the career field is in an identity crisis. They seem to be focused on infantry skills, fitness tests (#1), and deployments. Very little thought is LE for them. It's a shame.

So USPP is your #1 pick? What are your thoughts on the VA?
    LOL! You hit the nail on head; AF has been trying to make 11bs out the cops for years. Ravens, 820th, snipers...etc. IMO it once was a place a young guy could gain some good LE experience....now forget about it.......If I was a young guy looking to enlist I would go Army or Marine MP. Not that those two services are super LE oriented, but at least you won’t be stuck out on some tarmac counting rivets on an F-16 for 12 hours a day or guarding some missile site for days on end. All the while having to answer to some pilot playing wannabe cop, because he couldn’t get through flight school....

Yeah, from what I have heard on here by some of the USPP I have interacted with via PM and what not, they are closest thing to being a local cop you get, while still being a Fed. I saw some when I was growing up in NY, didn't deal with them much or know what their mission was till I interacted with one on here awhile back who gave me inside scoop on what they do. The only draw back with them dudes is you might be standing static posts right out the gate before you move on to mobile patrol duties. At least in DC, I don't know about the NYFO or the SFFO.....

VA.....I don't know about those cats. Sounds like a lot "force protection" type stuff with them. I hung out with some of them at my last assignment. There was a VA Center in my patrol area and I use to visit with them at the entrance to the joint. Most of them were retired MPs. They didn't look like they had much to do, besides patrolling the grounds and dealing with patient issues. Nor did they say they wanted anything to do. Seems like most of them had seen all the action they wanted to see and were at the point in there careers where they just wanted to collect a check. A while back I interacted with one of their 1811’s on here. He was looking to move on elsewhere for the same reasons. I wouldn't personally consider VA if I was looking to go Fed. I need more action and freedom then what they seem to offer......not to say it is a bad gig, just not for me.
    Last edited by statebear; 09-23-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    IO347- On the other hand, I just got to the VA Police after being a DoD 0083........And my initial impressions of the VA are FAR better than what I encountered with DoD.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    IO347- On the other hand, I just got to the VA Police after being a DoD 0083........And my initial impressions of the VA are FAR better than what I encountered with DoD.
    I guess just like with DAF PO (or other "DOD" PO), it depends on location and support.

Forum Member

I just got a tentative job offer for DAF here in California. Can anyone inform me on how long the whole hiring process takes?

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyafsf View Post
    I just got a tentative job offer for DAF here in California. Can anyone inform me on how long the whole hiring process takes?
    It will vary from base to base; depending on how fast your H.R. can schedule your various appointments and push your paperwork through. Some bases are fast about it; some bases take their sweet time. How fast you manage to complete your steps and paperwork is also a factor.

You could be looking at anywhere from 3 to 8 months; it really varies. Which base picked you up?

Forum Member

It will vary from base to base; depending on how fast your H.R. can schedule your various appointments and push your paperwork through. Some bases are fast about it; some bases take their sweet time. How fast you manage to complete your steps and paperwork is also a factor.

You could be looking at anywhere from 3 to 8 months; it really varies. Which base picked you up?
    Thanks for the response. Beale did, the contract guards are gone and they are switching to DAF.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    Congrats; enjoy central Cali. Not sure if you're gonna qualify for "rest of U.S." locality pay or not. Beale AFB looks like a decent sized base. Is it a Term or a Permanent appointment? Be weary if it's a Term gig; you can be easily canned on short notice. I'm assuming they gave you GS-6......

Don't be like so many others around here and disappear after 5 posts. Stick around and tell us how you're doing.

Forum Member

Daf

Well 2 weeks after the Academy. I have not seen the inside of a patrol car. On Oct 1st DAF Police took over the gates at Fort Sam. So it seems to be endless Gate work from now on.
    Senior Correctional Officer
    FCI Dublin

Forum Member

Congrats; enjoy central Cali. Not sure if you're gonna qualify for "rest of U.S." locality pay or not. Beale AFB looks like a decent sized base. Is it a Term or a Permanent appointment? Be weary if it's a Term gig; you can be easily canned on short notice. I'm assuming they gave you GS-6......

Don't be like so many others around here and disappear after 5 posts. Stick around and tell us how you're doing.
    It's GS-7 and a 13 month term position. I've been stationed at Beale before so I have an excellent idea of how things work here. Also, I found out from HR that the lead police officers will be starting at the end of this month or the beginning of next month. I didn't know the government could work that quickly! I believe we get Yuba/Sacramento locality pay. That is one of the many questions I still have to ask.

Forum Member

I just passed my one year mark as a DAF cop at Fairchild. The job itself really isn't that bad (I was active Security Forces so I knew what to expect), but if I could go back I don't think I would have taken the job. It's pretty much a dead end with no chance of advancement and I've been looking to move somewhere else for a few months already (interviewed for the VA back in June but didn't get it).

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyafsf View Post
    It's GS-7 and a 13 month term position. I've been stationed at Beale before so I have an excellent idea of how things work here. Also, I found out from HR that the lead police officers will be starting at the end of this month or the beginning of next month. I didn't know the government could work that quickly! I believe we get Yuba/Sacramento locality pay. That is one of the many questions I still have to ask.
    Congrats again, brother. Enjoy Cali and your new position. Just bear in mind what I said about Term appointments; Temps and Terms will always be R.I.F.'d (laid off) before Permanent appointments, you can be let go with relatively short notice, and these positions do not necessarily lead to Permanent appointments.

Forum Member

Congrats again, brother. Enjoy Cali and your new position. Just bear in mind what I said about Term appointments; Temps and Terms will always be R.I.F.'d (laid off) before Permanent appointments, you can be let go with relatively short notice, and these positions do not necessarily lead to Permanent appointments.
    I know that being a term employee is not that stable but with the very high demand of DAF guards and police officers we should last at least the 13 months. I got my start date, it's in 2 weeks! It took less than 2 months to get hired on, HR was busting their behinds to get us out on the road. We are still short a few people and another job announcement will be coming out shortly. I will let y'all know when they are hiring again if anybody is looking for a job in the Northern California area.
    31BZ6 likes this.

Forum Member
    Hey quiet,
    Just moved from Manchester NH to Danville, IL with the VA. Included a 3 step jump and 10k pay increase. Not all bad changing from a small very relaxed VA to a larger one.

As for the general question, how the police force is run depends on who's in charge and what you put into it. Usually the bitter ones are the ones that have gotten in trouble of some kind. If you work with what you got it isn't all bad, just don't try to rock the boat.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Page 1 of 2 12 Last