Forum Member

2012 NC Trooper School

removed by user.
    Last edited by uncHeels; 06-25-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Ive heard that a school is possible, but then again, ANYTHING is possible. I found this link from Asheville Citizens Times http://www.citizen-times.com/article...CFrontpage%7Cp.
    John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Forum Member
    The best way I can tell you is that this thread probably won't get nearly as much attention to the SHP hiring threads of previous years.

Forum Member
    NC Highway Patrol suspends training academy

Raleigh, N.C. — The North Carolina Highway Patrol has suspended its training academy as budget cuts force a hiring freeze.

The patrol said 38 troopers graduated Friday from the Highway Patrol Basic School in Raleigh. First Sgt. Jeff Gordon says the patrol continues to take applications, but the school is suspended indefinitely because of budget cuts. Gordon said he doesn't know when the school will resume classes.

The state pays about $100,000 to put a cadet through the 29-week academy. A trooper must complete 12 more weeks of field training after that.

The Highway Patrol's $197 million budget includes an $8 million reduction for this fiscal year and up to $15 million over the next two years.
    yeah!

Forum Member
    Most troopers I have spoken with say that the next school will be July of 2012.

I was at the Training Academy yesterday and I heard from a few reliable sources, Aug.29 for the next school. So if you are interested in applying, get your apps in now.
    "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Forum Member
    Still the best job in the world.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandscar View Post
    ....without a doubt!!

Forum Member
    I've been watching for info off and on throughout the process from here, Admin and from Troopers on the road who were in Admin. The latest is that they're hoping for the 129th school sometime in July of 2012. That's good news for those who have not withdrawn from this process, however the fact our T-scores are only vailid for one year was brought up to me recently. Those remaining are very likely going to have to go through assessment again.

Forum Member
    Hi everyone!
    I have a question. Since the state budget is so tight these days, why doesn't the NCSHP run some short schools instead of the long school? Couldn't you almost run 2 short schools for the time it takes to run 1 long school? Also, people in the short schools are already BLET certified and I've noticed at our local PD's and Sheriff's Office that is a help if you already are certified. That helps with lowering costs to the agency if they dont have to send you to school. Thanks!!
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
    Philippians 4:13

Forum Member
    I know on the surface you'd think that a short school would save money but it actually does not. Sure, the guy is out on the road taking calls sooner and you can't put a price on that, but I will attempt to explain the cost issue.

16 vs. 29 weeks---During those 29 weeks, the cadet is not receiving shift premium or holiday pay and isn't burning gas. A short school cadet will get a 5% raise 13 weeks earlier, get shift premium and holiday pay for 13 more weeks and burn gas at an earlier date. 401k contributions start when you're sworn and there are other costs an agency incurs when you're sworn.

Think of the cost when you've paid a cadet a salary for 4-5 months to only have them fail BLET and resign.

In the long run, I'd rather have the guy on the road earlier taking calls and contributing to the work load.
    Last edited by bandscar; 10-29-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandscar View Post
    I don't know about that!!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woffski View Post
    It is from where I'm standing.
    Last edited by ssc89; 11-02-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Forum Member

Blet

removed by user
    Last edited by uncHeels; 06-25-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woffski View Post
    You're right, you don't know.