Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    forum member

Singing the National Anthem

Does it make anyone else mad that people for whatever reasons can't remember the words?

Add Cyndi Lauper to the list.

The national anthem and flag reflects the patriotic history of our country..it is not a pop song or the self-centered view of our present day artists and pop stars.

If you're going to sing it...know the words and sing is correctly.

End of rant.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member

I heard some famous person yet again screwed up the anthem today. must have been cindy lauper. i refuse to even look up the video because the thought of it makes me sick.

Forum Member

I watched the ceremony before the Chigago Bears game and was very impressed with the flag being unfurled accross the field and all the players holding it while that man sang the National Anthem.. Don't know the man that sang it but I think he did a great job,and I think from the fan reaction they enjoyed it too...
    Retired LASD

Bigfoot Country
    Someone had Cindi Lauper sing it? At least she knew which song to sing.

NOT banned
    What really irritates me is the fact that the majority of KC fans, (dunno about the rest of the US teams), scream "Chiefs!" in place of "brave" at the end of the anthem....." and the home of the.... CHIEFS!"
    I PHUKKING HATE THAT! I find it highly disrespectful to the Anthem and those who fought for it....you would think the majority of adults/Americans would realize the significance and reverence of the Anthem and its demanding of respect....dooshbags

Dunno about Cindi Lauper, but HATE it when the anthem takes 20 minutes to sing due to the constant elevating and descending pitches that are usually accompanied by moving your hand up and down with it that were NOT part of the original musical score.
    "The Family Guy" had a great scene where Peter walks in on Christina Aguilera doing it in a recording studio to a song and basically tells her what a whore she appears to be...LOVE that show
    Last edited by crass cop; 09-11-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Forum Member
    Giants fans have NEVER done such a thing. NY fans sitting next to them would kill them!

Salty Dog

I don't understand how someone could call themselves an American and not know the words to our National Anthem and not know how to sing it. There also is no excuse for not standing when it is played or sung, and for men to not remove their hats and render a proper salute, and no excuse for talking during the National Anthem.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

NOT banned
    you would think a "singer", who knows they will be singing it, would at least PRACTICE it and know the words
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Forum Member
    Ah, Cyndi Lauper, really I'm surprised she's smart enough to find someplace to pee, let alone sing the correct words.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    I guarantee she didn't do as bad a job as Queen Latifah. I was channel surfing and heard the National Anthem.... uh... sorta.... except it was a very hip-hop version with a bass track in the background and back-up singers who were a verse behind, repeating everything she said. It was so bad I couldn't change the channel. I think it was to open a tennis match, so I was probably the only person in this country who (accidentally) saw it. It was probably the single worst version I've ever heard in my entire life.

If I can find a quality version of the video online I'll post it.

That guy you don't like.
    Honestly, if you asked me to tell you the words of "The Star Spangled Banner" right now I wouldn't be able to get it quite right.
    LA DEP: Obvious case of suicide.....shot twice in the back of the head with a bolt action rifle....
    CruiserClass: I took a nap today. It was such a great nap I felt the urge to share my nap with the officer.com world. It was that good of a nap.

That's it. Go check other threads were exciting topics are being discussed, this was seriously just about a really comforting and invigorating 35 minute nap. Move along, nothing else to see here, move along.

Surfing Socal
    Quote Originally Posted by Columbus View Post
    Honestly, if you asked me to tell you the words of "The Star Spangled Banner" right now I wouldn't be able to get it quite right.
    I wouldn't either but if I was going to sing it on TV I would either learn the words or write them down and read it.
    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Forum Member
    Forgetting the words when you know you are going to sing it is bad. Singing it, and then "diva-ing it up" is even worse. I remember as a kid going to Tiger games and the anthem was a recording of the Marine Band played over the loudspeaker. It wasn't drawn out to 5 minutes. It was played as it was written.

I will say that Lady Antebellum (who I had never heard of before) did a nice rendition before the Jets Cowboys game tonight.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    The girls choir that sang for the ceremonies in NY this morning did a fablous presentation of the National Anthem. Brought chills to my spine. It was beautiful!!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Deputy Sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    Does it make anyone else mad that people for whatever reasons can't remember the words?

Add Cyndi Lauper to the list.

The national anthem and flag reflects the patriotic history of our country..it is not a pop song or the self-centered view of our present day artists and pop stars.

If you're going to sing it...know the words and sing is correctly.

End of rant.
    We could not see more eye to eye on this. It is a huge pet peeve. My wife holds her ears when she hears it being buchered. She knows I rant.

I would rather cut my tongue out then butcher the song lyrics or sing it like I was some hip hop gold grill wearing artist.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired96 View Post
    I watched the ceremony before the Chigago Bears game and was very impressed with the flag being unfurled accross the field and all the players holding it while that man sang the National Anthem.. Don't know the man that sang it but I think he did a great job,and I think from the fan reaction they enjoyed it too...
    Jim sings the national anthem at every Blackhawks home game. He's amazing. He's famous around here.

Mega Infidel
    Roseann Barr sang the national anthem many years ago at a baseball game. Not only she butchered the song, but at the end of the song, she scratched her crouch and spat on a ground.

That to me was just disgusting act.

Salty Dog

Quote Originally Posted by M1garand View Post
    Roseann Barr sang the national anthem many years ago at a baseball game. Not only she butchered the song, but at the end of the song, she scratched her crouch and spat on a ground.

That to me was just disgusting act.
    That fat pig should have been taken out behind the stadium and horsewhipped for that. Roseann Barr will never be anything but Walmart-after-midnight trailer trash.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Forum Member

O! say can you see by the dawn’s early light,
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming,
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
    O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
    O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
    Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,
    As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,
    In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
    ’Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion,
    A home and a country, should leave us no more?
    Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps’ pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved home and the war’s desolation.
    Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the Heav’n rescued land
    Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: “In God is our trust;”
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Forum Member
    I agree with what y'all are saying-- and as Monty just demonstrated, it is not difficult to find the words. One would indeed think that a singer would do some research and practice if he or she did not know it by heart.

I have a personal preference, also, that instead of just listening to a soloist, everyone would sing along. I know it is not an easy song to sing, because it has a big range from low to high notes-- but it is more moving to me when we all sing it together.

I'm not offended by having a soloist do it, I just prefer the other.
    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Forum Member
    Although, let me add-- first verse only, please! I've tried singing the other verses before, and the syllables fall strangely on notes, as far as accents and emphasis go. If you don't believe me, try it!

Forum Member

I hate it when people try to add their own "flare" to the song. Please just sing it normally, without your styles, or don't sing it at all....that of course comes a very close second to those who forget the lyrics. If you have both, forget it...

Salty Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
    I have a personal preference, also, that instead of just listening to a soloist, everyone would sing along. I know it is not an easy song to sing, because it has a big range from low to high notes-- but it is more moving to me when we all sing it together.
    +1 One of my favorite writers, Lewis Grizzard, wrote that when he was a kid, his father was loudly singing along with the Anthem at a ballgame. Little Lewis told him that he was embarrassing him by singing so loudly. His father told him, "son, it embarrasses me that you don't."

Forum Member
    For me, at 25 there are two that stuck out as wonderful. Whitney, of course. But Jennifer Hudson did a great job. Made me get mushy. Both did a great job.
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
    — Horace Mann

Forum Member

Page 1 of 2 12 Last