View Poll Results: Will I be hired?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 5.26%
  • No

    36 94.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    8

    Odds of me getting hired?

    Hello every one. My name is Chris and I am 18 years old. I am posting this question because I am curious to what you all think the odds of me getting hired by a police department at 18 years old is. I would love to hear from every one. I would especially appreciate it if someone who does hiring for police departments or someone who was hired at a young age (21 or younger) to comment on this.

    Here is a little of my background,

    I am 18 years old.
    I have my high school diploma. (I graduated 6 months early)
    I am currently in college attempting to obtain my Associates in Criminal Justice.
    I was in AFJROTC (Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) for three years in high school (I would have done the fourth and final year but I couldn’t do it because when I graduated early I had to double up on classes and ROTC was not an everyday class)
    I am currently a police explorer (I just started this month)
    I am taking a citizens police academy here in my home state (South Carolina)
    I took over five classes throughout junior high school and high school that were criminal justice or criminal justice related.
    I have had my driver’s license for 2 years now and I have never (knock on wood) received a ticket, been pulled over, or got into a wreck.
    I have NEVER done ANY type of drug.
    My criminal record is also spotless.
    My work history is average I would say. I started working 1 week after I turned 15 in ninth grade. I worked at a restaurant for one year and seven months. Then I moved to the company I am at now and I have been there for two years.
    I am in great physical condition.
    I have absolutely no debt. I have no credit so I would think I have no credit history. The only bills I have are my car insurance.


    My question basically is what are the odds that a police department that hires 18 year olds (Fourth Lauderdale, Detroit, and Philadelphia) will hire me or even give me an interview? I would appreciate 100% no sugar coated answers. If you have any more questions that I might have missed about my background feel free to ask and I will gladly post.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    UD4LIFE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,032
    I personally think 18 is way to young to be in LE, even 21 unless if the applicant is exceptional.

    You can apply and see what happens but I would plan to join military, get an advanced degree, or both!

    It is a very competitive market, make yourself stand out for the right reasons.

    Good luck

  3. #3
    Operator
    Bearcat357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    18,342
    No offense...but at 18....why would anyone hire you when there are more qualified folks out there....?

    Right now, the economy sucks. There are guys/gals with not only military experience but they also have degrees....and work and life experiences (something at 18 you don't have) that are wanting to become Police Officers.

    My advice...look at miliary, college, or both..... as there is no way in the world you will be hired at 18 in this current economy. There are too many folks out there that have more to offer than you do.......

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Curly Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    398
    Sounds like you are squared away and a good kid. Keep living your life the way you are now. Go to college or join the military. Your time will come. On the other hand, it won't hurt to apply either. It will give you insight on how the process works. You might want to try Corrections if you don't think college or the military is for you. I know a handful of Correctional Officers that got hired at 19 and 20. Corrections will better prepare for working the streets. You'll learn how to deal with criminals and fight...err I mean apply proper arrest control techniques. Who knows, you might like it enough to make a career out of it.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    8
    Thank you all for your input! I am currently in college and I plan on getting my associates in CJ right now. I think I will try and apply when I have my associates. Then if it doesn’t work. I will try for my Bachelors. Then try again. And if that doesn’t work. I can always go to the military.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    516
    Let me first say that I agree that 18 is too young to become a cop. It's a HUGE responsibility that most 18 year olds can't handle. Looking back on my life, I think 21 was too young to become a cop in my case. My first job was at 23 and I believe that was pushing it. lol.

    HOWEVER, don't allow some comments to discourage you. I think your plan is a good one. Apply and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, then keep working to make yourself more qualified. Even if you are hired, I strongly suggest you still get your bachelors for advancement purposes. Most local places won't promote you past Sgt these days without it. Additionally, if you ever decide you want to go fed, its even more difficult to make that jump without the degree. I don't place much value on the degree as it relates to a person's work product, but it is what it is.

    Good luck to you!

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    54
    It can be done. Me and a few other officers I know were cops before we were old enough to drink or even buy off-duty guns. My wife had to buy my 1st gun for me, because the gun dealer wouldn't sell to me since I was underage, even though I was a cop. ( I got married at 19, for anyone that's scratching their head) In my opinion, it just depends on the area that you are in and the climate of the departments that you are applying for. Don't be discouraged by others opinions, because the only opinion that counts is that of the person responsible for examining you as an applicant. I personally sit on hiring boards at my department and I wouldn't decline an applicant just because of their age. In Georgia you can be certified at 18. As a matter of fact, the underage task force for the Department of Revenue here are 18-20 year old certified offiicers that primarily enforce laws pertaining to underage sales of alcoholic beverages. I didn't notice what state you were in, but something similiar may be an option for you. Good Luck!
    "The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate evil than from those who actually commit it."

  8. #8
    Operator
    Bearcat357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    18,342
    Quote Originally Posted by NIGHTWATCHMEN View Post
    Your post
    From looking at your profile....you got hired 11 years ago. A lot has changed since then. The economy sucks and there are tons of folks out there that have military/college/combo of both that are looking for jobs.....and have more to offer than he does at the current moment.

    No way in the world would I hire him if I had a stack of applications/resumes from folks that had military/college/combo of both....no way.....

  9. #9
    Why so serious?
    Kimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by kaderly93 View Post
    Thank you all for your input! I am currently in college and I plan on getting my associates in CJ right now. I think I will try and apply when I have my associates. Then if it doesn’t work. I will try for my Bachelors. Then try again. And if that doesn’t work. I can always go to the military.
    Good attitude. Only way to not get hired is to not apply, and if it doesn't pan out, better your qualifications and try again.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    279
    Join the Coast Guard, do that a while, then try to get a badge.

    18 year old types do not need to be the police.
    Gek.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    From looking at your profile....you got hired 11 years ago. A lot has changed since then. The economy sucks and there are tons of folks out there that have military/college/combo of both that are looking for jobs.....and have more to offer than he does at the current moment.

    No way in the world would I hire him if I had a stack of applications/resumes from folks that had military/college/combo of both....no way.....
    I'm note sure what area your in, nor that he's in for that matter, but I know for a fact that we are not getting the highly qualified applicants that you speak of. We currently have positions open that we have no qualified applicants to fill. Most of the applicants that we get have background issues, no college, and/ or no military. So, if an 18 year old put in with his background versus a 35 year old with a few background issues and no military or college, I'd give him a shot.

    Also, like I said, he may consider going to an agency that targets applicants under 21 for underage enforcement. Lastly, if i'm not mistaken some agencies that he mentioned, such as Philly, hire based upon your ranking on a civil service exam, not age.

    Needless to say, I understand where your coming from Bearcat 357, but under the right circumstances he has a chance and shouldn't shy away from applying for positions in which he meets the minimum qualifications, simply based upon our opinions. Some people felt I had no chance of getting hired, due to my age, when I began applying and not only did I get hired, but I'm still here going strong today. I thinks he has good odds of getting hired under the right circumstances and should go for it if he's able. The worst they could say is "NO," but he'll never know unless he applies.
    "The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate evil than from those who actually commit it."

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by NIGHTWATCHMEN View Post
    I'm note sure what area your in, nor that he's in for that matter, but I know for a fact that we are not getting the highly qualified applicants that you speak of. We currently have positions open that we have no qualified applicants to fill. Most of the applicants that we get have background issues, no college, and/ or no military. So, if an 18 year old put in with his background versus a 35 year old with a few background issues and no military or college, I'd give him a shot.

    Also, like I said, he may consider going to an agency that targets applicants under 21 for underage enforcement. Lastly, if i'm not mistaken some agencies that he mentioned, such as Philly, hire based upon your ranking on a civil service exam, not age.

    Needless to say, I understand where your coming from Bearcat 357, but under the right circumstances he has a chance and shouldn't shy away from applying for positions in which he meets the minimum qualifications, simply based upon our opinions. Some people felt I had no chance of getting hired, due to my age, when I began applying and not only did I get hired, but I'm still here going strong today. I thinks he has good odds of getting hired under the right circumstances and should go for it if he's able. The worst they could say is "NO," but he'll never know unless he applies.

    Did you miss in the geographic areas that the OP listed in his original post? I can tell you for a fact that departments in those areas are NOT going to hire an 18 year old applicant. Not even Detroit. Can he apply? Sure he can but he has a better chance of winning the lottery than getting hired. That is not derogatory toward him at all it is just that the departments are not going to take nor do that have to take that kind of chance on an individual that has not had the opportunity to prove that they are mature enough to handle the responsibility that come with a law enforcement job. A police department should not be the proving ground for that. It opens the department up to too much liability. Perceived or real it makes no difference to the head of the department that has to take responsibility for those decisions.

    FB

  13. #13
    Will work for food!
    300Busa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburb
    Posts
    705
    Go military and then get hired on. Stay out of trouble and keep your nose clean, it only takes once to ruin all of your chances!
    We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    BiggyWannaBGman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    343
    Was watching BorderWars the other night.. and they were following around this 20 year old BPA that was on a task force....

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Traditionalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    152
    At 18 years old I'm willing to guess that except for summer jobs you have no full time work experience. That is a huge strike against you. Test everywhere that will let you and keep a positive outlook even if you're rejected. You're on the right path but I'd say you still have a ways to go before your a serious contender in this competitive job market. Good luck and no matter what STAY OUT OF TROUBLE.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by NIGHTWATCHMEN View Post
    It can be done. Me and a few other officers I know were cops before we were old enough to drink or even buy off-duty guns. My wife had to buy my 1st gun for me, because the gun dealer wouldn't sell to me since I was underage, even though I was a cop. ( I got married at 19, for anyone that's scratching their head) In my opinion, it just depends on the area that you are in and the climate of the departments that you are applying for. Don't be discouraged by others opinions, because the only opinion that counts is that of the person responsible for examining you as an applicant. I personally sit on hiring boards at my department and I wouldn't decline an applicant just because of their age. In Georgia you can be certified at 18. As a matter of fact, the underage task force for the Department of Revenue here are 18-20 year old certified offiicers that primarily enforce laws pertaining to underage sales of alcoholic beverages. I didn't notice what state you were in, but something similiar may be an option for you. Good Luck!
    Is the underage task force currently hiring or accepting applications? I am not far from Georgia and I wouldn’t mind doing that. I look much older than 18 and I have done beverage checks for the grocery store that I work at.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditionalist View Post
    At 18 years old I'm willing to guess that except for summer jobs you have no full time work experience. That is a huge strike against you. Test everywhere that will let you and keep a positive outlook even if you're rejected. You're on the right path but I'd say you still have a ways to go before your a serious contender in this competitive job market. Good luck and no matter what STAY OUT OF TROUBLE.
    I actually do "have full time" work experience. At my current job at the grocery store I have worked 40 hours a week multiple times. At one point in time I had three jobs and went to school. I have worked 12 hour shifts before, I have worked from 8:00 AM - 5:00 pm at one job then went and worked from 5:15-11:00 pm at another job and went to school the next morning. (Keep in mind I was in the eleventh grade). At the grocery store I have worked in every single department except for one (meat department) and it will only be a matter of time before I will have worked over there. Then at my first job at the resturant I knew how to do everything other than manager's duties. I knew how to cook, run drive thru, cash register, etc...

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    54
    See below....
    Last edited by NIGHTWATCHMEN; 09-10-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    "The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate evil than from those who actually commit it."

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
    Did you miss in the geographic areas that the OP listed in his original post? I can tell you for a fact that departments in those areas are NOT going to hire an 18 year old applicant. Not even Detroit. Can he apply? Sure he can but he has a better chance of winning the lottery than getting hired. That is not derogatory toward him at all it is just that the departments are not going to take nor do that have to take that kind of chance on an individual that has not had the opportunity to prove that they are mature enough to handle the responsibility that come with a law enforcement job. A police department should not be the proving ground for that. It opens the department up to too much liability. Perceived or real it makes no difference to the head of the department that has to take responsibility for those decisions.

    FB
    He is certainly not in Philly, Fort Lauderdale and Detroit at the same time. So, again, I don't know what area he is in and if I missed it PLEASE shed some light on it for me, because I'm in the dark as to where he is located.

    According to each department's website Fort Lauderdale requires that he be 19, Philly requires that he be 19 and Detroit requires that he be 18. I personally am aware of officers that have been hired by Philly at 19. As for the other departments, I won't comment on something that I'm not familiar with, but if they are advertising 19 and 18 than I'm sure that is what their minimum ages are.

    I personally am tired of ghost liability often cited by folks becaue they don't agree with something. There is liability associated with negligent hiring. Please cite what case law, judicial decision or whatever it is that your relying on that suggests that departments incur a greater liability for hiring 18 and 19 year olds? Or is that just your personal opinion?

    If the young man wishes to apply, then I wish him luck and am not going to discourage him from trying. You never know, he may very well get hired. So, why discourage him? As long as you guys saying that he is too young are not responsible for deciding if he gets hired or not, than he stands a chance. Me personally, if he met the minimum standards and presented himself correctly, I'm not going to deny him because of his age. You have cops that shouldn't be cops that are both young and old. At least at his age he can be molded easier than someone that is old, hard like a tree and stuck in their ways.
    "The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate evil than from those who actually commit it."

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by kaderly93 View Post
    Is the underage task force currently hiring or accepting applications? I am not far from Georgia and I wouldn’t mind doing that. I look much older than 18 and I have done beverage checks for the grocery store that I work at.
    It's not about what you know, but rather who you know. PM me and I will give you the cell number for one of the Special Agents in Charge that I'm good friends with. I have worked with this agent and the underage task force on numerous occasions. The agent will get you squared away and put you on the right path, so if they are not hiring now, you will be set up for when they do. I know a couple of months ago they were hiring. Good luck. Don't be discouraged!!! It can be done!!!
    "The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate evil than from those who actually commit it."

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    Magic Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    1,892
    My God, 18 and a cop… I would think 23 or 25 should be a minimum age. Even for corrections that is just way to young. You may be a very squared away kid, and someday make a great cop, but the trauma that law enforcement inflicts on you requires maturity and stability that few 21 year olds possess.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by NIGHTWATCHMEN View Post
    He is certainly not in Philly, Fort Lauderdale and Detroit at the same time. So, again, I don't know what area he is in and if I missed it PLEASE shed some light on it for me, because I'm in the dark as to where he is located.

    According to each department's website Fort Lauderdale requires that he be 19, Philly requires that he be 19 and Detroit requires that he be 18. I personally am aware of officers that have been hired by Philly at 19. As for the other departments, I won't comment on something that I'm not familiar with, but if they are advertising 19 and 18 than I'm sure that is what their minimum ages are.

    I personally am tired of ghost liability often cited by folks becaue they don't agree with something. There is liability associated with negligent hiring. Please cite what case law, judicial decision or whatever it is that your relying on that suggests that departments incur a greater liability for hiring 18 and 19 year olds? Or is that just your personal opinion?

    If the young man wishes to apply, then I wish him luck and am not going to discourage him from trying. You never know, he may very well get hired. So, why discourage him? As long as you guys saying that he is too young are not responsible for deciding if he gets hired or not, than he stands a chance. Me personally, if he met the minimum standards and presented himself correctly, I'm not going to deny him because of his age. You have cops that shouldn't be cops that are both young and old. At least at his age he can be molded easier than someone that is old, hard like a tree and stuck in their ways.
    He doesn't have to be in all three places. However those are the three places he asked about. I am very familiar with one of them. I also am very familiar with oral boards being that I currently sit on them for the Federal agency I work for. I can tell minimum requirements have to be posted but rarely that someone that only meets the minimum gets hired. The majority of the folks here are giving him the straight answer that his chances of being hired to a sworn position are almost nil. I can't help but notice you are not advising him to apply at your department

    FB

  23. #23
    Why so serious?
    Kimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by kaderly93 View Post
    I actually do "have full time" work experience. At my current job at the grocery store I have worked 40 hours a week multiple times. At one point in time I had three jobs and went to school. I have worked 12 hour shifts before, I have worked from 8:00 AM - 5:00 pm at one job then went and worked from 5:15-11:00 pm at another job and went to school the next morning. (Keep in mind I was in the eleventh grade). At the grocery store I have worked in every single department except for one (meat department) and it will only be a matter of time before I will have worked over there. Then at my first job at the resturant I knew how to do everything other than manager's duties. I knew how to cook, run drive thru, cash register, etc...
    Not to belittle you or anything, but working at a grocery store or restaurant isn't going to make you "highly competitive" for a police job. Not when there's hundreds of separating vets, laid-off police officers, college grads, business professions with years of experience, etc. applying. Nothing wrong with working in a grocery store or server, but don't pretend just because you worked 40+ hours per week doing this that that alone will make you move to the head of the pack for a police job, it won't.

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    8
    You took this the wrong way. The reason I posted this was because the guy said I had no full time work experience. I just wanted to show him I have full time work experience. I know good and well that by working at a grocery store will make me the highest person on the totem pole lol. But thanks for your input.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by NIGHTWATCHMEN View Post
    I'm note sure what area your in, nor that he's in for that matter, but I know for a fact that we are not getting the highly qualified applicants that you speak of. We currently have positions open that we have no qualified applicants to fill. Most of the applicants that we get have background issues, no college, and/ or no military. So, if an 18 year old put in with his background versus a 35 year old with a few background issues and no military or college, I'd give him a shot.

    which he meets the minimum qualifications, simply based upon our opinions. Some people felt I had no chance of getting hired, due to my age, when I began applying and not only did I get hired, but I'm still here going strong today. I thinks he has good odds of getting hired under the right circumstances and should go for it if he's able. The worst they could say is "NO," but he'll never know unless he applies.
    Your agency needs to do some recruiting in my neck of the woods. There are tons of highly qualified and experienced cops currently out of work due the crap economy who hold both college degrees military/LE experience.
    Last edited by 19USC; 09-10-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: fat fingers on the computer

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register