Blind Follower

Book recommendations?

Anybody have any good book recommendations? Recently read the Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and it was awesome. Highly recommended if you haven't read it yet.

I'm not really looking for a memoir... as a cop I don't really have much interest in reading about the careers of other cops. But, at the same time i'm a rookie so i'm looking for a book I can learn some things from (investigative techniques but mostly for street level police work type stuff) which could come in the form of a memoir (don't want a dry training book). I realize I just contradicted myself, I just really have no idea what I what, which is why I'm here.

I'll take any suggestions... even if it doesn't exactly fit what I mentioned above.

Thanks, stay safe.

TGM
    There is one book out there that should be required reading for every cop. It could save your life if you are ever in a shooting incident, and will no doubt help you through any major stress incident you encounter.

"On Combat" written by Col. Dave Grossman

On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace
    Warrior Science Pub. (2008) - Paperback - 403 pages - ISBN 0964920549
    On Combat looks at what happens to the human body under the stresses of deadly battle the impact on the nervous system, heart, breathing, visual and auditory perception, memory - then discusses new research findings as to what measures warriors can take to prevent such debilitations so they can stay in the fight, survive, and win. --from publisher description
    Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com

Forum Member
    World War Z by Max Brooks...cuz you never know when you might run into zombies LOL

Forum Member
    If you're looking for action type books try reading some books by author Vince Flynn. He writes about a CIA assassin/operative who won't play nice with the politicians. They're a blast to read.

On Killing also by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.
    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    World War Z by Max Brooks...cuz you never know when you might run into zombies LOL
    Great book.

Also a or the gift of fear, can't remember.

For entertainment I'm working on the Dexter series right now.

Forum Member
    Briefs of Leading Cases in Law Enforcement. Make sure you get the newest edition. There is a new one each year. Also Drug ID Bible is cool as well.

http://www.drugidbible.com/

Forum Member
    I've seen them posted around before, but I'm curious as to what books are recommended for family members. (dealing with stress and change etc....)

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex001 View Post
    I've seen them posted around before, but I'm curious as to what books are recommended for family members. (dealing with stress and change etc....)
    http://www.amazon.com/Love-Cop-Revis.../ref=pd_cp_b_1

Forum Member
    Criminal investigations.... it is very entertaining and was written by my academy director Dr. Michael Brown

Non LE related "The Threat -Revealing the Secret Alien Agenda " by David M. Jacobs. This is my favorite book and really gets you thinking

Annoyed, amazed & amused! Kieth M.'s Avatar

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Story of a 1936 Olympic runner who was taken as a POW by the Japanese in WWII. The story of Louis Zamperini defies belief by today's MTV/Wii/Xbox/hip-hop pinheads who think things are so tough for them they need to occupy Wall Street, or some other crap, to get attention.

As I finished the final chapters of the book I was very saddened to learn I used to, almost daily, drive past the church where Lou Zamperini was a volunteer. He's still alive, but I'm a 1000 miles away now.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly