1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Above the Mason Dixon
    Posts
    586

    Tinted Windows on Police Cars

    I've been wondering this for a while now...I see some cars, both marked and unmarked with tinted windows, but then other cars within the same department don't have tint so I was wondering if individual officers are generally allowed to make certain approved "personal touches" to their patrol vehicles?

  2. #2
    LE Cheetah
    nuthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,196
    Here they can. Some officers have their windows tinted and some aren't about to spend money on a car they don't own and some just don't like the tint. It just depends on the department's policies.
    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    SgtScott31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,493
    All of ours are tinted.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

  4. #4
    It's Complicated
    Iowa #1603's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    15,438
    Quote Originally Posted by mr crowley View Post
    I've been wondering this for a while now...I see some cars, both marked and unmarked with tinted windows, but then other cars within the same department don't have tint so I was wondering if individual officers are generally allowed to make certain approved "personal touches" to their patrol vehicles?
    The answer to your question will be as numerous as the number of departments in the country.

    Depends on the department's policy.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."



    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc


    I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    dontknowwhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,728
    Pretty much all K9's have at least the back seat tinted, but usually the whole car. For regular patrol, different policies for different departments. At my first, the chief hated tinted windows so my sgt got his done because he has a doctors note (seriously) saying he could have them. Before I left, everyone pretty much didn't care what the chief had to say and started getting theirs done, too. Some depts allow their guys to get them done at the legal limit, while others let their guys take advantage of the emergency vehicle exemption. My current department has all the car tinted, K9 at 5%, regular at 22%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

  6. #6
    The Poo Magnet
    FiVo3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    306
    I wish mine was....
    Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    49
    I work for an Investigative only Bureau and we are allowed to get 15% all the way around, on the states budget. We also only utilize unmarked vehicles only. The agency I use to work for only tinted the K9 vehicles and Street Crimes vehicles.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    1,077
    If youre knockin boots under a camera, the tint helps hide the dirty....
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPlaca View Post
    If youre knockin boots under a camera, the tint helps hide the dirty....
    Wouldn't have helped this guy! lol

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20100412.shtml

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    rgv_cop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South TX
    Posts
    985
    All our patrol and CID units are tinted.

    In the bright hot texas sun, it really helps.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    754
    Our K-9 unit vehicles are tinted out. A lot of unmarked vehicles that get used for anti-crime and SNEU are also tinted out. Regular patrol vehicles don't have any tint on the windows.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Rush817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,805
    All of our units have tinted windows. Like stated above, it helps with this Texas sun!
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    DACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    No clue
    Posts
    4,603
    I am not ashamed to state that I drive a huge gas guzzling SUV that has tinted windows that are way above state law........and why? because the Chief says I can on the tax payers dime....and he lets me because state law exempts me.......Don't like it write your state rep and have the law repealed, or become a cop and be cool like me...... other wise MYOFB.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

  14. #14
    victis honor
    ummone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    behind you
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by dacp View Post
    i am not ashamed to state that i drive a huge gas guzzling suv that has tinted windows that are way above state law........and why? Because the chief says i can on the tax payers dime....and he lets me because state law exempts me.......don't like it write your state rep and have the law repealed, or become a cop and be cool like me...... Other wise myofb.
    Last edited by ummone; 09-07-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

    STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

  15. #15
    LE Cheetah
    nuthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by ummone View Post
    I believe the point that is being made is that your not a sworn police officer therefor you are not allowed to respond in "ask a cop".

    I'm sure he is also curious (I know I am) what kind of career/occupations is "tower"???
    Tow-er, maybe? As in a wrecker driver or tow truck operator? He who tows things? I hope so, because the alternative is just too...weird.
    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    317
    I have the only squad with tinted windows, its the K9 car. All of the other departments around only have K9 squads tinted, except for one Deputy in a neighboring county, his windows are mirror tinted ..... just because he can.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    swat_op506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,267
    We tint- and we have taken citizen complaints about it.
    ...prob the same TYPE *********s who complain about an officer eating lunch in a restaurant-HOW DARE THEY!!
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    Here is mine-
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/tblproducts/...1&_from=&_ipg=

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Above the Mason Dixon
    Posts
    586
    Why the he** would citizens care about a police officer having the windows tinted on their car? Especially to care enough where they file a complaint? Probably a non tax payer/contributor just out to cause trouble.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    DACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    No clue
    Posts
    4,603
    Quote Originally Posted by mr crowley View Post
    Why the he** would citizens care about a police officer having the windows tinted on their car? Especially to care enough where they file a complaint? Probably a non tax payer/contributor just out to cause trouble.
    I am no longer surprised at what citizens complain about.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register