Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tinted Windows on Police Cars

Forum Member

Tinted Windows on Police Cars

I've been wondering this for a while now...I see some cars, both marked and unmarked with tinted windows, but then other cars within the same department don't have tint so I was wondering if individual officers are generally allowed to make certain approved "personal touches" to their patrol vehicles?

LE Cheetah
    Here they can. Some officers have their windows tinted and some aren't about to spend money on a car they don't own and some just don't like the tint. It just depends on the department's policies.
    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Forum Member
    All of ours are tinted.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by mr crowley View Post
    I've been wondering this for a while now...I see some cars, both marked and unmarked with tinted windows, but then other cars within the same department don't have tint so I was wondering if individual officers are generally allowed to make certain approved "personal touches" to their patrol vehicles?
    The answer to your question will be as numerous as the number of departments in the country.

Depends on the department's policy.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    Pretty much all K9's have at least the back seat tinted, but usually the whole car. For regular patrol, different policies for different departments. At my first, the chief hated tinted windows so my sgt got his done because he has a doctors note (seriously) saying he could have them. Before I left, everyone pretty much didn't care what the chief had to say and started getting theirs done, too. Some depts allow their guys to get them done at the legal limit, while others let their guys take advantage of the emergency vehicle exemption. My current department has all the car tinted, K9 at 5%, regular at 22%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

The Poo Magnet
    I wish mine was....
    jcioccke likes this.
    Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

Forum Member

I work for an Investigative only Bureau and we are allowed to get 15% all the way around, on the states budget. We also only utilize unmarked vehicles only. The agency I use to work for only tinted the K9 vehicles and Street Crimes vehicles.

Forum Member

If youre knockin boots under a camera, the tint helps hide the dirty....
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaPlaca View Post
    If youre knockin boots under a camera, the tint helps hide the dirty....
    Wouldn't have helped this guy! lol

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20100412.shtml

Forum Member
    All our patrol and CID units are tinted.

In the bright hot texas sun, it really helps.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Forum Member

Our K-9 unit vehicles are tinted out. A lot of unmarked vehicles that get used for anti-crime and SNEU are also tinted out. Regular patrol vehicles don't have any tint on the windows.

Forum Member
    All of our units have tinted windows. Like stated above, it helps with this Texas sun!
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Forum Member
    I am not ashamed to state that I drive a huge gas guzzling SUV that has tinted windows that are way above state law........and why? because the Chief says I can on the tax payers dime....and he lets me because state law exempts me.......Don't like it write your state rep and have the law repealed, or become a cop and be cool like me...... other wise MYOFB.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

victis honor
    Quote Originally Posted by dacp View Post
    i am not ashamed to state that i drive a huge gas guzzling suv that has tinted windows that are way above state law........and why? Because the chief says i can on the tax payers dime....and he lets me because state law exempts me.......don't like it write your state rep and have the law repealed, or become a cop and be cool like me...... Other wise myofb.
    Last edited by ummone; 09-07-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

LE Cheetah
    Quote Originally Posted by ummone View Post
    I believe the point that is being made is that your not a sworn police officer therefor you are not allowed to respond in "ask a cop".

I'm sure he is also curious (I know I am) what kind of career/occupations is "tower"???
    Tow-er, maybe? As in a wrecker driver or tow truck operator? He who tows things? I hope so, because the alternative is just too...weird.
    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Forum Member

I have the only squad with tinted windows, its the K9 car. All of the other departments around only have K9 squads tinted, except for one Deputy in a neighboring county, his windows are mirror tinted ..... just because he can.

Forum Member
    We tint- and we have taken citizen complaints about it.
    ...prob the same TYPE *********s who complain about an officer eating lunch in a restaurant-HOW DARE THEY!!
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    Here is mine-
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/tblproducts/...1&_from=&_ipg=

Forum Member

Why the he** would citizens care about a police officer having the windows tinted on their car? Especially to care enough where they file a complaint? Probably a non tax payer/contributor just out to cause trouble.

Forum Member
    Why the he** would citizens care about a police officer having the windows tinted on their car? Especially to care enough where they file a complaint? Probably a non tax payer/contributor just out to cause trouble.
    I am no longer surprised at what citizens complain about.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member

I like the tint on my k-9 car but it only helps keep the sun off the dog otherwise I would not want the tint
    Last edited by MPSK-9; 09-21-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Patrol Officer & SRO
    I would like some light tint on my patrol car, if only to keep it cool from sitting in the school parking lot all day. I have vent shades on it for rain, but it does squat for sunlight. lol
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

Forum Member

It's the whole "why do da po-po have tint and we can't?" mentality.

I try to just explain to them why we do. I say "you want tint to hide you inside so we won't see you smokin' crack. I want tint so your children don't have to see you sitting in the back of my car after smackin' their mother around while high on crack."

Iowa #1603 and SkyBehind like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DACP View Post
    I am no longer surprised at what citizens complain about.
    We need to make a thread on that. I have some good stories on things that I've been complained on about and I've only been working for a year.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FiVo3 View Post
    I wish mine was....
    Me too
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Forum Member

At my agency if you want your windows tinted you can get it tinted (at your own expense). We just need to have supervisor approval prior to getting the windows tinted, and they can't be below the legal limit.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 Last