Forum Member

Legal left hand turns onto a one way street?

Hey guys,

In California is it legal to make a left hand turn from a one way street onto another one way street if you have a red light? Please direct me to the V.C., so I can read it too if this is legal.

Thanks, be safe.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandPD163rd View Post
    Hey guys,

Please direct me to the V.C., so I can read it too if this is legal.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

Here is the general area of the code to look at.......you can do your own research

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22100.htm
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-03-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Jeez Iowa don't you know.....Thanks to Germany which gave us Arnold...who made great movies...was elected as Gov...we now have a new vehicle code that says you can't do anytying without Germany's permission LOL

Former Deputy Sheriff

I believe that "Ahnold" hails from Austria - not Germany. Nonetheless, he is a great actor and was probably not too bad of a governor (considering he was married to a Kennedy).

Regarding the left turn, I believe you refer to making a left turn on red AFTER a stop. Here in VA, you can do it......provided that you are on a one-way street and making a left turn onto another one-way street. There must also not be any sign prohibiting such a move (i.e., 'No Turn On Red').

The rules may vary where you live, of course.

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
    "There is no such thing as an idiot-proof system. Anyone who believes this has obviously not introduced his system to the right idiot."

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

O.com 11th member
    The answer to your question is that it is indeed legal.

You are looking for 21453(b) VC.

21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.
    http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21453.htm
    Last edited by Nonsequitur; 09-03-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Addition of the link to the DMV VC page.
    "Oro En Paz, Fierro En Guerra"
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    - Attributed to both George Orwell and Winston Churchill (unsourced)
    Californian by birth, Cardinals fan by marriage!

Forum Member

bingo, thanks

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Dutch View Post
    [color=blue]
    I believe that "Ahnold" hails from Austria - not Germany. Nonetheless, he is a great actor and was probably not too bad of a governor (considering he was married to a Kennedy).
    Yea we knew that..............it was a joke carrying over from the thread referenced in my signature.............

He was a crappy actor and if you talk to almost any cop (or public employee )in California he was a real d o u c h e.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Circular Red or Red Arrow

21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.

(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 14, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

Turning Upon a Highway

22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as follows:

(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:

(1) Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn right into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

(2) If a right-hand turn is made from a one-way highway at an intersection, a driver shall approach the turn as provided in this subdivision and shall complete the turn in any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

(3) Upon a highway having an additional lane or lanes marked for a right turn by appropriate signs or markings, the driver of a vehicle may turn right from any lane designated and marked for that turning movement.

(b) Left Turns. The approach for a left turn shall be made as close as practicable to the left-hand edge of the extreme left-hand lane or portion of the roadway lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle and, when turning at an intersection, the left turn shall not be made before entering the intersection. After entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered, except that upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn left into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
    Amended Sec. 353, Ch. 183, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]