Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

California State Parole Agent

California State Parole Agent

I read that they want to upgrade their peace officer status.
    will they get cars with code 3 equipment?
    do some already have that?
    does the fugitive apprehension team get them and/will they?
    What else are the fugitive unit agents armed with?
    rifles/shotguns or no?

Ca definite answers please!

Forum Member
    One word
    ...recession

Forum Member
    Why would you think that parole agents need red lights and sirens? What is the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJDave View Post
    Why would you think that parole agents need red lights and sirens? What is the big deal?
    So they could let the parolees know there comin for them!.................oh and so they don't have to wait at that Long Red light signal......

L-1
    Forum Member
    Under the California Vehicle Code, any publicly .owned vehicle operated by a peace officer is an authorized emergency vehicle and may be equipped with red lights and siren. Officers of the DOC Office of Correctional Safety are peace officers, so the issue of which cars do or don't get red lights and siren is an administrative decision made by the DOC.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Paco has your back!
    Not happening. The director of parole put out a memo a few months ago stating that 80% of the parole agents will be gone by 2013. With counties monitoring lower level inmates and policies like non-revocable parole they will not be needed in the numbers that they used to be.

As L-1 stated we are already peace officers. We have "Code 3" vehicles at every prison equipped with lights and sirens, but only those who have gone through EVOC (not taught at the academy) can operate them. The department doesn't want us to look too aggressive, since we rehabilitate and all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by richjorg View Post
    since we rehabilitate and all.
    haha

Tinfoil Hat Engineer
    The department doesn't want us to look too aggressive, since we rehabilitate and all.

How is that recidivism reduction going?

All in good nature mind you, I sincerely appreciate the work you do.

Forum Member
    Parole Agents and CO's are currently only peace officers while on duty. Only Special Agents are full time Peace Officers for the department. I think it would be a good idea to give Parole Agents full time status as well but with additional training.

Paco has your back!
    Quote Originally Posted by valetudo39 View Post
    Parole Agents and CO's are currently only peace officers while on duty. Only Special Agents are full time Peace Officers for the department. I think it would be a good idea to give Parole Agents full time status as well but with additional training.
    There was legislation just last year to give them 24 hour status, but it was shot down. Actually our own union was against it and I still cannot understand why.

Forum Member

There was legislation just last year to give them 24 hour status, but it was shot down. Actually our own union was against it and I still cannot understand why.
    That's unfortunate. Can you still carry a concealed weapon when off duty?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial_Law View Post
    That's unfortunate. Can you still carry a concealed weapon when off duty?
    Yes under Penal Code 830.5 (A) (C) they can carry off duty. They have to qualify every three months on their own time. A lot of LEO's don't know about this though. I know a deputy that arrested a correctional officer for carrying a concealed weapon because he was unaware that they could. Also know some deputies that made bad arrest because they were not familiar with the knife laws. I don't know who came up with the 3 inch rule but it is wrong.

Forum Member
    They would have needed extra training and that costs money and probably because the would have be under P.O.S.T. and not Correctional P.O.S.T. which the union would not like.

Forum Member

The last time a parole agent rolled out into the field and was with me he was driving a state issued Ford Focus. The prisoner was too fat to even sit inside. Not much use for red and blue lights in that thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyjr View Post
    The last time a parole agent rolled out into the field and was with me he was driving a state issued Ford Focus. The prisoner was too fat to even sit inside. Not much use for red and blue lights in that thing.
    LOL!

Yeah, I just turned in my CV and was issued a Toyota Camry. Moving up the ladder is good.
    Ignore List----DAL

"but I warranty you that I’ll be a better candidate than a kid that just got out of high school and self-sponsor himself."...Just another brain surgeon who's looking for a cop job on Officer.com.

South central escapee...
    did a parole search recently with agents and we took a knucklehead into custody- sad part was that the parole Agents were talking about the state CUTTING them, and sending them BACK to the prisons as COs, under the proposed plan of allowing the counties to supervise the "less violent" parolees- hope its just some political B.S.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOAcop38 View Post
    did a parole search recently with agents and we took a knucklehead into custody- sad part was that the parole Agents were talking about the state CUTTING them, and sending them BACK to the prisons as COs, under the proposed plan of allowing the counties to supervise the "less violent" parolees- hope its just some political B.S.
    That would suck balls if that is true.....who in the hell would want to go back to work in a prison especially the Parole Agents that never worked in one before.

Forum Member
    That would suck balls if that is true.....who in the hell would want to go back to work in a prison especially the Parole Agents that never worked in one before.
    FYI, Parole Agents started out their careers as Correctional Officers working in the state prison system. It's similar to a Deputy Sheriff who works as a Bailiff, when one is not working as a bailiff, they return to the jails or patrol assignment, but deputy sheriffs are full sworn peace officers 830.1PC.

CO's & Parole Agents are only limited peace officers on duty and do not graduate from a POST Basic Academy. They cannot do alot of things a regular Deputy/Officer can do.

Forum Member
    All Parole Agents start off in Div. of Adult Parole Operations or DAPO which falls under CDCr. They or should say we fall under 830.5 PC. There was and is still talk of upgrading to 830.2 but they union, who doesn't know what Parole deals with, didn't want to give it to us. Our cars do not have emergency equipment other than some cars that have cages. They are take home cars that we also use on duty. they range from CV's to Impalas, to stratus to ford focus amongst others. There is talk of giving our CPAT parole agents emergency equipment on their vehicles. They hunt down Parolees At Large but fall under the DAPO umbrella.

Our parole agents that are on the fugitive apprehension team fall under the Office of Correctional Safety amongst other teams. Those parole agents also started off in DAPO but once transferred to OCS they go through additional training and become peace officers under 830.2. Those parole agents may work with a U.S. Marshal Task Force and become deputized U.S. Marshals. They are given cars complete with emergency equipment and may carry other weapons i.e. shotguns.

For the most part we don't need red lights or sirens. We are not chasing anyone and really don't respond to emergencies. We work alone for the most part and sometimes we have agents call into the office that they need a back up to a location that will usually result in an arrest they would be nice to have that equipment but usually if we need somebody there right now we will usually call local law enforcement. Which is why I keep a good rapport with all the officers and deputies of the different jusridictions I work in.

It is true that alot of parole agents will return to the prisons with the realignment plan but those are only those agents that started in the prisons that do not have enough seniority to stay in parole. The parole agents that came over from outside of CDCr well they pretty much will be given a pink slip. Just to note alot of offenders that will be going to the counties are supposed to be "low level, non violent, non serious, non sex offender." That will be done off of their commitment offense meaning that they may have a 667.5 PC or 1192.7 PC that they have committed previously. Also, when they say non sex offender that means a non registerable sex offender meaning that the sex offender isn't high risk.
    Last edited by BigHouseGreen; 09-03-2011 at 03:54 AM. Reason: additional info

Units standby 4 the tone
    This is probably true for a good percentage of Agents, However working as a CO is not a prerequisite to being hired as a Parole Agent. I personally know at least 4-5 Agents who have never worked a institution and were transfers from other state agencies such as Department of Insurance, Gaming board, Board of Education, etc...It will be interesting to hear where these Agents will land if the proposed cuts to Parole go through.

The OCS/SSU/FAT guys I know all operate cold unmarked cars that are code three equipped and carry Deputy US Marshal credentials. The Agents I know who are assigned a point based caseload are rolling around in everything from Chevy Impalas and the POS Ford Focus.

[QUOTE=CA Cop;2869992]FYI, Parole Agents started out their careers as Correctional Officers working in the state prison system. It's similar to a Deputy Sheriff who works as a Bailiff, when one is not working as a bailiff, they return to the jails or patrol assignment, but deputy sheriffs are full sworn peace officers 830.1PC.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Forum Member
    I know a couple of guys that I used to work with that are now Special Agents of the Office of Internal Affairs of the Department of Corrections. They started off in the institutions as well.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CA Cop View Post
    FYI, Parole Agents started out their careers as Correctional Officers working in the state prison system. It's similar to a Deputy Sheriff who works as a Bailiff, when one is not working as a bailiff, they return to the jails or patrol assignment, but deputy sheriffs are full sworn peace officers 830.1PC.

CO's & Parole Agents are only limited peace officers on duty and do not graduate from a POST Basic Academy. They cannot do alot of things a regular Deputy/Officer can do.
    FYI...sorry brother but you are wrong about parole agents. Not all start off in the institutions. Secondly, I am former State C/O and a former deputy sheriff so I am already aware of the other information you mentioned. Thanks any way.

South central escapee...
    FYI...sorry brother but you are wrong about parole agents. Not all start off in the institutions. Secondly, I am former State C/O and a former deputy sheriff so I am already aware of the other information you mentioned. Thanks any way.
    either way, from what I've seen- they take the same DAMN chances going thru the door as any other LEO out here, and are a valuable, but severely overworked source of help. Unlike some probation agents ,who seem to not really give a pattooty if you hook up one of their LOSER "clients"/charges, every PA i've dealt with in the past 2 decades has never once failed to get back with me when I had a question on one of their "step children", or needed to bering one in..... othe Probation depts seem to operate differently, but L.A. County is a mixed bags of "why are you even calling us?" to " Johhny Trece is such a nice guy", to "wow, you actually got him??!!" with a few who DO understand that some folks have to be taken off the streets and they wlll come with you to get it done! Can't see a probation agent even bothering with an increased load of parolees mixing in with their rotten, scumbag probies.....
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOAcop38 View Post
    either way, from what I've seen- they take the same DAMN chances going thru the door as any other LEO out here, and are a valuable, but severely overworked source of help. Unlike some probation agents ,who seem to not really give a pattooty if you hook up one of their LOSER "clients"/charges, every PA i've dealt with in the past 2 decades has never once failed to get back with me when I had a question on one of their "step children", or needed to bering one in..... othe Probation depts seem to operate differently, but L.A. County is a mixed bags of "why are you even calling us?" to " Johhny Trece is such a nice guy", to "wow, you actually got him??!!" with a few who DO understand that some folks have to be taken off the streets and they wlll come with you to get it done! Can't see a probation agent even bothering with an increased load of parolees mixing in with their rotten, scumbag probies.....
    I agree some of the guys I used to work with are now Parole Agents and they always helped me out when I needed a piece of **** parolee off the streets. I would give them a call and next thing I know there is a 3056 in the system ready to go so I can go hook the guy and put him back for a couple of months at least.

As far as probation officers....well I have already expressed my views on them.

Salty Dog

God help us if they really go through with having county probation officers supervise parolees. I can't remember the last time a probation officer in this county went out in the field. They aren't even allowed to be armed, and what's worse is that none of them want to have guns. A number of years ago, there was one PO who used to ride with a couple of us on patrol, and wanted to make home visits, do searches and make arrests. She was squeezed out because it made the rest of probation look bad.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last