Mitzi1

Post Is this the law in all states?

I'm just curious. Here, we have the good law of changing lanes when you see a LEO standing beside a car or his car. I do that but did wonder what would happen if I couldn't get over. My husband said that you usually see pretty far up that you have to get in the inside lane but I wondered about heavy traffic if I couldn't get over.

10-98

i dont know if its law here or not, but i always try to to give that curtousy to anyone in the shoulder whether its a cop writing a ticket or a guy changing a tire.

jtenor

I don't have the law right in front of me. In Wisconsin you have to move over and slow down when passing certain stopped vehicles. They include emergency vehicles and wreckers.

Autumn

Oh my gosh! I'm such a law-breaker!

I only get in the far lane if the road is narrow -- I didn't know that that was a law. Shame on me?

AaaSrv

I couldnt pull up any law section on that here in oregon.

David757

In Kentucky the law states:
    (5) Upon approaching a stationary emergency vehicle, when the emergency vehicle is giving a
    signal by displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, red and blue, or blue lights, a
    person who drives an approaching vehicle shall, while proceeding with due caution:
    (a) Yield the right-of-way by moving to a lane not adjacent to that of the authorized
    emergency vehicle, if:
    1. The person is driving on a highway having at least four (4) lanes with not
    fewer than two (2) lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching
    vehicle; and
    2. If it is possible to make the lane change with due regard to safety and traffic
    conditions; or
    (b) Reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintaining a safe speed to road conditions, if
    changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.

Darkwulfe

Montana Code:

61-8-346. Operation of vehicles on approach of police vehicles or authorized emergency vehicles -- approaching stationary emergency vehicles. (1) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of 61-9-402 or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal only, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in that position until the police vehicle or authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer or highway patrol officer.
    (2) This section does not relieve the driver of a police vehicle or authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.
    (3) Upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying visible signals of flashing or rotating amber, blue, red, or green lights, the driver of the approaching vehicle shall:
    (a) reduce the vehicle's speed, proceed with caution, and, if possible considering safety and traffic conditions, move to a lane that is not adjacent to the lane in which the authorized emergency vehicle is located or move as far away from the authorized emergency vehicle as possible; or
    (b) if changing lanes is not possible or is determined to be unsafe, reduce the vehicle's speed, proceed with caution, and maintain a reduced speed, appropriate to the road and the conditions, through the area where the authorized emergency vehicle is stopped.

IPDBrad

We have the same law in Indiana. Move over or slow your speed. It came into existence after a tragic year in which a couple troopers were killed.

DA Police II

Barrowed from the Broward County Sheriff website at WWW.Sheriff.org

Florida law requires drivers to 'move over'

Since July 2002, drivers on Florida highways are required to move over or slow down when approaching an emergency vehicle that is stopped. Florida's "Move Over Act," designed to protect law enforcement and other emergency workers, was passed during the 2002 session of the Florida Legislature.

On interstate or other highways with multiple lanes of travel in the same direction, vehicles approaching an authorized emergency or law enforcement vehicle parked on a roadway with emergency lights activated are required to vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so (unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer).

On two-lane roadways, drivers are required to slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater, or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less.

A violation is classified as a moving violation and carries a fine of $60 with three points added to the driver's license record.

p01ic3m4n

Unhappy

you have no idea how bad i wish we had that law here. i do all my traffic from the passenger side. people intentionally stop in traffic and others in traffic make it a point to see how close they can get.

PelicanDriver

No laws like that in CA. A good idea to do, but not very practical on L.A. freeways much of the time.

Autumn

Oh yeah I remember here in Portland, Oregon -- a lady trooper was killed when she was talking to a guy in a van on the side of the road. A 19 year old kid hit her -- he says he fell asleep. Another trooper was with her and he was in a coma for quite awhile. I haven't heard how he was doing lately. I see a lot of officers on the side of the road that take precautions such as angling their cruiser toward the road a little bit which is good but I still see them on the drivers side talking with the driver! Why do they do that? It is so dangerous -- with their back turned to oncoming traffic. It just seems safer doing business from the passenger side.

MikeC

web page
    Check out this website and watch the videos from the troop car cameras. We don't have a law like the one in Ohio, but I wish we did.

KL

As a result of a couple of Ontario Provincial Police officers being killed by stupid passing drivers new legislation is in the works requiring drivers to slow down and change lanes if possible. About time! I'm sure we've all had our close calls.

Rimfire

I get over for anybody on the side of the road.

People who fly by you at 65mph when your 2ft from the road are *********s. I had to change a flat in the rain last month. Two lane road with a divider wall, I was over as far as I could and the traffic was minimal but that didn't get 1 out of 4 cars to move over.

Sorry if anyone is offended but that should be common courtesy anywhere you go. If it's busy and you can't get over just slow down and don't rubberneck.

[ 02-21-2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Rimfire ]

ffemti

Just to elaborate on the Law in WI. You have to move over or slow down if you are unable to change lanes. And the law applies to Fire, EMS (ambulances), Law Enforcement, and Highway Dept.

Evan

Last year back home in Wyoming the legislature passed a law that requires drivers to slow down 20 mph below the posted limit on all two lane highways and to move to the far left lane on interstates when emerg. vehicles are stopped/ parked along the edge of the roadway. This law came about as a safety issue when severall state troopers vehicles got creamed while on traffic stops.

Badgerland

Here is Wisconsin's statute:

346.072 Passing stopped emergency vehicles, tow (1) If an authorized emergency vehicle giving visual signal, a tow truck flashing red lamps, as required by s. 347.26 (6) (b), or any road machinery or motor vehicle used in highway construction or maintenance displaying the lights specified in s. 347.23 (1) (a) or (b) or, with respect to a motor vehicle, displaying the lights specified in s. 347.26 (7), is parked or standing on or within 12 feet of a roadway, the operator of a motor vehicle approaching such vehicle or machinery shall proceed with due regard for all other traffic and shall do either of the following:
    (a) Move the motor vehicle into a lane that is not the lane nearest the parked or standing vehicle or machinery and continue traveling
    in that lane until safely clear of the vehicle or machinery.
    This paragraph applies only if the roadway has at least two lanes for traffic proceeding in the direction of the approaching motor vehicle and if the approaching motor vehicle may change lanes
    safely and without interfering with any vehicular traffic.
    (b) Slow the motor vehicle, maintaining a safe speed for traffic conditions, and operate the motor vehicle at a reduced speed until
    completely past the vehicle or machinery. This paragraph applies only if the roadway has only one lane for traffic proceeding in the direction of the approaching motor vehicle or if the approaching motor vehicle may not change lanes safely and without interfering with any vehicular traffic.
    (2) In addition to any penalty imposed under s. 346.17 (2), any person violating this section shall have his or her operating privilege
    suspended as provided in s. 343.30 (1o).
    History: 2001 a. 15.

--------------
    Conviction of this offense is a 30 day DL suspension, however we could be writing tickets all day on this. I work a lot of highway traffic, and few things pizz me off more than jagoffs who have 2 open lanes to get over, yet they come within 6 inches of my car. (AA you should be ashamed, not that I am calling you a jagoff, however.) The general public needs to put themselves in our shoes, and feel what it is like to have your whole squad shake when a SUV passes you at 70 MPH when you are out with a disabled vehicle. I pulled over a guy for this offense last week, and after sitting on the side of the roadway for 5 minutes, he knew exactly where I was coming from, and why I made the stop.

There is not enough education about this law. Basically, this is one of those charges that will be added on after a drunk sideswipes a trooper while he or she is on a traffic stop.

OffDuty

INDIANA:

IC 9-21-8-35
    Emergency vehicles; yield of right-of-way
    Sec. 35.
    (b) Upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, when the authorized emergency vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:
    (1) proceeding with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the authorized emergency vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four (4) lanes with not less than two (2) lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle; or
    (2) proceeding with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintaining a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.
    (c) Upon approaching a stationary recovery vehicle or a stationary highway maintenance vehicle, when the vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing amber lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:
    (1) proceeding with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the recovery vehicle or highway maintenance vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four (4) lanes with not less than two (2) lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle; or
    (2) proceeding with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintaining a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.
    -_______________________________
    (b) If a violation of section 35(b) of this chapter results in damage to the property of another person, in addition to any other penalty imposed, the court shall recommend that the person's driving privileges be suspended for a fixed period of not less than ninety (90) days and not more than one (1) year.
    (c) If a violation of section 35(c) of this chapter results in damage to the property of another person of at least two hundred fifty dollars ($250), in addition to any other penalty imposed, the court shall recommend that the person's driving privileges be suspended for a fixed period of not less than ninety (90) days and not more than one (1) year.

This was amended after a horrific accident ont he IN Toll Road killing two ISP officers and two civilians in a rear end collision by semi driver OUI

DARECOP

Missouri just passed that law this year.