Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Warrant and transfer officer

New york state will be giving another test for warrant and transfer officer with the nys department of correc tions and community supervision. The filing will open on september 16, 2011 and close on october 31, 2011, with the test scheduled on december 3, 2011.

This will be the second time that they are giving this test in the last four years.

Warrant and transfer officers are peace officers under section 23 subdivision 2.10 of the nys criminal procedure law and yes they do carry glock 19's.

Pay attention to the new york stat civil service website

Forum Member

I wanted to apply for this test but based on the last exam announcement for this position you need to have at least one year experience a sworn correction officer in order to qualify.

On or before September 29, 2007, you must have one year of municipal, state, or federal law enforcement experience which includes the transportation, custody and/or care of individuals under the supervision of a criminal justice or mental hygiene facility. Your law enforcement experience must have been performed while in police officer or peace officer status.
    http://www.cs.state.ny.us/announarch...nts/24-876.cfm

I know a few former NYS Correction Officers that were actually able to transfer to the NYS Division of Parole (Before Corrections and Parole merged into one agency) as Warrant & Transfer Officers. Apparently, according to the NYS Dept. of Civil Service, the position of State Correction Officer and Warrant & Transfer Officer were similar enough that an individual can transfer from one position to the other. I'm not sure of the specifics of how transferring from one NYS agency to another works.
    Last edited by NFA5426; 08-25-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NFA5426 View Post
    I wanted to apply for this test but based on the last exam announcement for this position you need to have at least one year experience a sworn correction officer in order to qualify.

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/announarch...nts/24-876.cfm

I know a few former NYS Correction Officers that were actually able to transfer to the NYS Division of Parole (Before Corrections and Parole merged into one agency) as Warrant & Transfer Officers. Apparently, according to the NYS Dept. of Civil Service, the position of State Correction Officer and Warrant & Transfer Officer were similar enough that an individual can transfer from one position to the other. I'm not sure of the specifics of how transferring from one NYS agency to another works.
    You don't have to be a Corrections Officer, as long as you have one year of experience as a Peace Officer/Police officer and you can show that you arrested and transported people then you are good to go. Correction Officers can transfer to this position, Warrant Officers cannot trnsfer to Corrections

Forum Member

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought because it said "individuals under the supervision of a criminal justice or mental hygiene facility." that it was limited to officers that work in a correctional setting. It seems like a interesting job. Day to day how busy are you usually?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NFA5426 View Post
    Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought because it said "individuals under the supervision of a criminal justice or mental hygiene facility." that it was limited to officers that work in a correctional setting. It seems like a interesting job. Day to day how busy are you usually?
    It changes day by day, if you are on a trip, it depends where you are travelling to, if you are working the command center some days are busy some are not

Forum Member

dammit ... yet again being an auxiliary has done absolutely nothing for me , I was looking forward to this exam an i don't qualify.
    one man wolf pak

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wo 150 View Post
    New york state will be giving another test for warrant and transfer officer with the nys department of correc tions and community supervision. The filing will open on september 16, 2011 and close on october 31, 2011, with the test scheduled on december 3, 2011.

This will be the second time that they are giving this test in the last four years.

Warrant and transfer officers are peace officers under section 23 subdivision 2.10 of the nys criminal procedure law and yes they do carry glock 19's.

Pay attention to the new york stat civil service website
    Do you know what promotion potiential there is and what salary increases are automatic over time? Are they under a 20, 25, or 30 year retirement plan?

Thanks

DENIED!
    Hey, sorry to throw the wrench in the gearbox but the new requirement is...

Minimum Qualifications
    On or before December 3, 2011, you must have two years of municipal, state, or federal law enforcement experience which includes the transportation, custody, and control of individuals under the supervision of a criminal justice or mental hygiene facility. Your law enforcement experience must have been performed while in police officer or peace officer status.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytzo View Post
    Do you know what promotion potiential there is and what salary increases are automatic over time? Are they under a 20, 25, or 30 year retirement plan?

Thanks
    As of right now we are in the 30yr/55y/o. They are giving a promotion test the same day as the WO test. Promotions are very slow. We are in negotiations right now for the 2009=-2011 contract and the upcoming contracts are anbody's guess. We get our bump increases every april. any questions you can pm me

Forum Member

Been trying to get this job for awhile now! I work for Dept of Corrections as an officer and getting the run around. Albany won't help . . .anybody out there knows how to transfer under 70.1 please post. Any former CO's please post. thanks

Forum Member

Info

I work for NYSDOCCS which is Corrections and Parole merged. I would like to hear from any Warrant and Transfer Officers. Do I have to take the test or can I lateral tranfer over???

Forum Member

As Warrant Officer can you carry off duty? Also, I heard their is an 8 week academy. Is it like boot camp where you do pt everyday? I do not want to go through another academy and get yelled at for 8 weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alg134 View Post
    As Warrant Officer can you carry off duty? Also, I heard their is an 8 week academy. Is it like boot camp where you do pt everyday? I do not want to go through another academy and get yelled at for 8 weeks.
    Yes we carry off duty. You can carry your state issued firearm or you may by a personal weapon (Glock 19/26 only at this time). The length of time for the academy is anyones guess, ours was one week with another week for firearms and NO there is no PT and no one yells at you

Forum Member

wo_150 thank you for all the info. Is the pension plan under NYCERS? Can you do a 20year early retirement and collect partial?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wo 150 View Post
    Yes we carry off duty. You can carry your state issued firearm or you may by a personal weapon (Glock 19/26 only at this time). The length of time for the academy is anyones guess, ours was one week with another week for firearms and NO there is no PT and no one yells at you
    I would have to imagine that with the new peace officer training requirements that the academy would have to be at least 6 weeks including firearms.

Side note: That seems to be a very popular firearms policy among both NYC and NYS agencies that have a heavy presence in the NYC area. Court Officers, TBTA, and NYC Sheriffs are limited to the same firearms. They so profoundly beat into your brain that these are the only two acceptable guns that the idea of carrying anything else just feels wrong. When I came to my current agency and was issued a .45 I almost felt like I was betraying my heritage .

Forum Member

If I join this agency I will miss my .45acp .380 .38spl .40cal. but I am highly proficent in 9mm so the two week cousre will be a breeze

Forum Member

So how do they determine where you work? For example, I live in Long Island, do I have to work out of the Command Center in Manhattan, do they have local post, or do they make you travel to different locations?

BIC
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    I would have to imagine that with the new peace officer training requirements that the academy would have to be at least 6 weeks including firearms.

Side note: That seems to be a very popular firearms policy among both NYC and NYS agencies that have a heavy presence in the NYC area. Court Officers, TBTA, and NYC Sheriffs are limited to the same firearms. They so profoundly beat into your brain that these are the only two acceptable guns that the idea of carrying anything else just feels wrong. When I came to my current agency and was issued a .45 I almost felt like I was betraying my heritage .
    which agency are u in now?

Forum Member

good luck to everyone who is taking this exam. hopefully the state will be hiring and not using this test to accrue currency.
    Last edited by dandl0709; 11-18-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alg134 View Post
    So how do they determine where you work? For example, I live in Long Island, do I have to work out of the Command Center in Manhattan, do they have local post, or do they make you travel to different locations?
    i WOULD SAY THERE WOULD BE A 95% CHANCE THAT YOU WOULD WORK OUT OF THE COMMAND CENTER, EVERYTHING IS DONE ON SENIORITY AND THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE AHEAD OF YOU

Forum Member

Damn, so they start with 42377 and you have to travel to NYC everyday. Then they take out union dues, pension dues, city tax and medical, your left with nothing. Maybe it isnt worth it after all.

Im taking test on the 3rd. But very concerned about the deductions, espeically knowing I have to pay a premium traveling to NYC everyday.

How bad are the deductions? Do they offer free medical benefits? Anyone have command center's address? Can't find it on google.

Forum Member

So, how did everyone think they did on the test??? now lets see how long it will take to send us the results....

Forum Member

The test was actually harder then most open competitive test and I took many civil service test. Every question was tricky and you had to read the paragraph 2 to 3 times to get the gist of it. Which is a good thing. I saw to many people finished the test to fast and there was no way they could have answered most of the questions correctly.

I believe I did very good on the test. I took it in Nassau and there where only about 60 people taking the test.

What did you think about the test?

Forum Member

Yeah, the test wasnt necessarily hard, but tricky. I agree i watched other people get up within an hour or hour and a half because they were finished. It took me about 2 hours and 20 min or so to complete it. Yes, i could have rushed through it, but i wanted to do well. I hope the state dosnt take too long to give us our scores, at least we then would know where we stand for the posiibility of getting hired. I heard there were only about 30 WTO 's statewide, which is horrible. I would like to know how many the state is looking to hire. Btw, i took the test in manhattan and i would say there were around 300 or so people there taking this exam. But uhave to remember, the test was also given upstate. So in all reality, who knows how many took the test. Good luck.

Forum Member

by the way, does anyone on here happen to know how many warrant officers the state is looking to hire???

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last