Page 1 of 12 123411 ... Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New USMC Civilian Police Rumors

Forum Member

New USMC Civilian Police Rumors

Has anyone heard any rumors of the USMC Civilian Police getting up to 100% at all bases in the next 2 years? Rumor has it that MP'S are being pulled to the new Security Battalions.
    Last edited by 1badsoldier; 08-23-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Forum Member

Not sure I would put it out publicly where I heard such a rumor from.

Those careerist types we work for have the power to cost them their jobs.

Forum Member
    We can only hope.
    Last edited by TheSentinel; 08-23-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Forum Member
    Yes, there is a civilian police on base. I worked with a few on Camp Pen. The goal is to make the base 100% civilian P.D. What I have heard that the P.D. and the base are bumbing heads and most poeple want out after a while. Plus the pay sucks. Unless things change, it will take them more the two years to be 100%.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsaints75 View Post
    Yes, there are civilian police on base. I worked with a few on Camp Pen. The goal is to make the base 100% civilian P.D. What I have heard is that the P.D. and the base are bumping heads and most people want out after a while. Also, the pay sucks. Unless things change, it will take them more than two years to be 100%.
    I fixed it for you. I hope your reports aren't as bad as that post...and you work for a college too? LOL wow!
    Last edited by TheSentinel; 08-28-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: I read his profile, even worse.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    Allow me to shed light on what I've been told / know at my end....... Rumors are silly things that deserve an early grave, anyway.

1. M.P.'s will NEVER be fully taken away from the garrissons of larger bases. i.e. Lejeune and Pendleton..... Even with the advent of the new Law Enforcement Battalions, which have not yet been stood up here on Lejeune.
    2. Certain smaller bases such as Barstow and Bridgeport have virtually no M.P. presence. This is not new news, however.
    3. The is no exact, concrete date yet on when the USMC will lift it's hiring freeze on Police Officers.
    4. Personally, I think reaching 100% MCCLEP's would be difficult, if not impossible to achieve due to the high turn-over.

Please bear in mind, there are a few MCCLEP officers besides myself on this forum as well. You can always ask the horses mouths directly instead of relying on rumors, which will no doubt frustrate you. Be safe....
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Forum Member

This info came for a reliable source directly from the top. I was curious to see if any other bases had statred losing MP's like we already have. From what I understand is that all MP's will go to the Batts. and some might get detailed to the newly formed MCPD's as faps but hte PD with be entirely civilian. I agree that it sounds like an uphill baiile with the turnover we have but I think this could be a jump to what we have all been trying to acompish (ie 324 and 6c), time will tell. Barstow just posted an annoucment so the freeze looks to be over if they got the ok to hire word is our base and pendleton are going to open up around Oct 1.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badsoldier View Post
    This info came for a reliable source directly from the top. I was curious to see if any other bases had statred losing MP's like we already have. From what I understand is that all MP's will go to the Batts. and some might get detailed to the newly formed MCPD's as faps but hte PD with be entirely civilian. I agree that it sounds like an uphill baiile with the turnover we have but I think this could be a jump to what we have all been trying to acompish (ie 324 and 6c), time will tell. Barstow just posted an annoucment so the freeze looks to be over if they got the ok to hire word is our base and pendleton are going to open up around Oct 1.
    Well brother, as great as it would be to have S. 324 pass and get 6c retirement, congress isn't in a giving mood nowadays. Anything that could cost more money while budgets are getting slashed is probably going to be put on the back burner. A fully civilian chain of command, an experienced Chief of Police, maybe some experienced leadership in operations, maybe some perks to working for the department (meritorious step promotions, cash bonuses perhaps?), may be enough to retain some good officers. Nothing says we appreciate your hard work like a meritorious step increase, yet I've never heard of MCPD doing one. I'm not sure how it is in other places, but Marine retirees have been retiring directly into GS-10+ civilian positions, crapping on civilians employees who have been with the program from the get go. If MCPD cared, they would work on morale by acting like they cared about their civilian employees. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Forum Member
    Why is the turnover so high (if anyone can say without getting in trouble)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    Why is the turnover so high (if anyone can say without getting in trouble)?
    While it does have some things going for it, MCPD is a mess. People are leaving because the pay is comparatively low, the Marines keep telling you that you aren't really a police officer despite your job series is 0083, leadership for the most part is **** poor, no LEO retirement, you can be fired for carrying off duty. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that rise to the top. With a few big changes, it could be a great place to work. I can say that in the past few years it has made huge leaps and bounds at my base, it can only get better...or can it? We shall see.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    dontknowwhy- TheSentinel is correct on most of his points. The same negative things he is experiencing are also occcuring out East. I wouldn't say my pay is crap (GS-6/7 with overtime is not too shabby as an entry-level Fed job.) However, he is spot on regarding the rest of his points. And it is these points (among other reasons) that are driving good officers to go to other agencies......
    rugger_rj likes this.

Forum Member

For those of you that work for the MCPD, working for the Navy CP is the same. Morale is at an all time low and sick leave is at an all time high. I have seen a lot of good officers with positive attitudes over the years come here just to have their professional pride and dignity stripped away by all the DOD/Navy negativity towards the civilian officers. The turnover rate was much higher in the past, but due to the economy it has slowed down.......for now.

Forum Member

Quietpro,

You are correct that GS 6/7 pay isn't too bad for starting pay. Unfortunately, out here we rarely get OT so it isn't something we can count on. The way the senior leadership runs things (both Marine and retired Marine handed jobs) GS 7 will also be the top pay grade 75% of the department ever sees. There is a handful of GS 8 available (FTO, SRT, K9), and one or two GS 9 patrol sergeant / desk sergeant positions. That's it.

Every single GS 10 and higher is filled by either a retired Marine or someone with the right connections and without a doubt are the source of many of our problems. Those tools couldn't do the job they supervise.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    ^^^ An excellent point, brother. I can't argue that at all; Hell I actually saw jobs invented for a few plugged-in people.

Forum Member
    I forgot, one really big problem with our base is that they have been detailing GS-06/07/08s for various jobs that would otherwise demand a higher paygrade (FTO, Patrol Supervisor, Watch Commander) for extended periods at a time. These civilians are either 1. Told if you don't want the experience, go back to your old position. 2. Promised the promotion, only to be crapped on by a retiring Marine and demoted back to your old position. 3. Told you don't have the time in grade requirements for the position you are already filling. Or 4. Told to wait until the hiring freeze ends and maybe they will promote you then. I'm sure I'm missing a few though.

But to be fair, I like the work schedule.
    Last edited by TheSentinel; 09-01-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSentinel View Post
    3. Told you don't have the time in grade requirements for the position you are already filling.
    Time in grade is the biggest bulls*** I've heard of from OPM. Since NSPS went away, lots of folks are getting screwed because of time in grade requirements. When NSPS was around though, alot of people went from GS05/07 positions to GS10 positions overnight. It's crap either way.
    Law Enforcement Officers Equity Act (H.R. 1362)
    Sign this petition that will change the retirement benefits for federal police officers currently not covered. No registration required.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCSD View Post
    Time in grade is the biggest bulls*** I've heard of from OPM. Since NSPS went away, lots of folks are getting screwed because of time in grade requirements. When NSPS was around though, alot of people went from GS05/07 positions to GS10 positions overnight. It's crap either way.
    We've lost a couple of good people with tons of experience who got screwed by the antics of the bull**** recruiter we had. They were stuck at GS-05/06 when they should have at least been an GS-08/09.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    Last day was yesterday, thank goodness. I was given a good send-off by the C.O.C. and the PM himself, but I really wish he had sat down with me and given me an actual exit interview. I would have liked to tell him why I was leaving the MCCLEP program and transferring elsewhere in the Feds. I would have given him an frankly honest, but not rude opinion of what was wrong in PMO and offered him do-able solutions of how to fix it and help improve morale.

But that's not how it went, so time to look forward as they say.........

Regular Navy dude
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    Last day was yesterday, thank goodness. I was given a good send-off by the C.O.C. and the PM himself, but I really wish he had sat down with me and given me an actual exit interview. I would have liked to tell him why I was leaving the MCCLEP program and transferring elsewhere in the Feds. I would have given him an frankly honest, but not rude opinion of what was wrong in PMO and offered him do-able solutions of how to fix it and help improve morale.

But that's not how it went, so time to look forward as they say.........
    That is quite typical. My spouse just had a similar experience with her co-worker leaving recently and instead of being professional and offering her a real exit interview they immediately started the PR machine and essentially rushed her out the door - a long time loyal employee! I told my wife, what kind of company or manager, doesn't want to learn why an employee is leaving or how they feel and what they have to say? Why wouldn't you want to be better? Why wouldn't you want to discover how your workforce feels and strive to improve the working environment and morale?

Blows my mind.
    Last edited by FireControlman; 09-02-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    ^^ Indeed, brother. That's unfortunate what happened with your wife's co-worker. But it is what it is.......

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireControlman View Post
    That is quite typical. My spouse just had a similar experience with her co-worker leaving recently and instead of being professional and offering her a real exit interview they immediately started the PR machine and essentially rushed her out the door - a long time loyal employee! I told my wife, what kind of company or manager, doesn't want to learn why an employee is leaving or how they feel and what they have to say? Why wouldn't you want to be better? Why wouldn't you want to discover how your workforce feels and strive to improve the working environment and morale?

Blows my mind.
    Better than having a powwow about why is morale so bad, and you get to voice your complaints but nothing changes.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    ^^ I disagree, brother. A good L.E. manager would listen to enough people leaving and voicing similar concerns, and then get the clue to start implementing reasonable changes. I didn't dislike my PM personally, and do not feel he was a particularly poor manager or leader. But it's the simple fact that the Corps doesn't realize that common L.E. tactics/procedures and military customs cannot always combine into a given situation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    ^^ I disagree, brother. A good L.E. manager would listen to enough people leaving and voicing similar concerns, and then get the clue to start implementing reasonable changes. I didn't dislike my PM personally, and do not feel he was a particularly poor manager or leader. But it's the simple fact that the Corps doesn't realize that common L.E. tactics/procedures and military customs cannot always combine into a given situation.
    There would be alot of people leaving MCCLEP if there were any jobs out there.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    Ahh, but there ARE jobs, my brother. There are many LEO's who do not have the flexibility to do so; because of housing and family issues. I respect and understand that. BUT, there certainly are jobs out there for those willing to relocate......especially Federal jobs.

Forum Member

I was a Marine from '04-'08 and I personally think that the PD on base should be civilian simply because they might actually do something police related. I 'm not saying the MPs were bad they just weren't allowed to do anything productive as the brass was more worried with putting on a show at the gate or doing something that wasn't productive at all. I think that it should be ran by civilians personally.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... Last