Forum Member

Driving with temporary registration/invalid plates

I live in NY and Im buying a car in Mass (its a rare car). There is no way I can get in transit plates because NY cant issue them for something out of state and Mass is the only state that doesnt issue any. Ive found there is a "7 day law" where I can use my current tags on the new vehicle to give me time to get a permanent registration.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21426.pdf

Ive had a trip planned for a while, and was waiting on the seller to finalize the deal. Since Mass titles are electronic, the RMV wont issue one back to me for a few days (hence the 7 day law) and wont be in time for my trip. If I drive it for 7 days and can produce a bill of sale, proof of insurance, and registration to my previous vehicle, am I in violation of vehicle and traffic law in most states?
    What could the penalty be? Ive read of things as severe as impoundment but Ive also heard its more realistic to be given a fine for driving without proper registration?
    If it matters, I will be driving through PA, VA, DC, MD, NC, and SC.

Thanks everyone for your input

Forum Member

The specific answer will have to come from the states you listed. There is also that intangible, "Officer discretion". In the most basic of terms, the vehicle must be licensed , or you must produce documentary evidence that you're in lawful possession of the vehicle. This is most often accomplished by having either a valid Bill of Sale, or a Title properly executed, by the person who sold you the vehicle. It's entirely possible that even with the Title/Bill of Sale, and absent the required temporary or in transit plates that you could be cited.

Forum Member

When you say the vehicle must be licensed...this is registration?....I can produce the bill of sale and perhaps get the guy on the phone to speak to any officer?...does this happen? The seller feels bad because he wasn't sure of the process with his DMV and how to transfer an electronic title. Would I be cited for invalid registration or something similar? Ive heard this can be a small fine as it would be a non-moving violation and then I could be on my way? Is this not nearly as severe as driving without insurance or a license? If you guys were to come across me what would you do?

Certified Troll Sprayer
    Arkansas law provides that you have 30 days from vehicle purchase to register it. You still have to have valid insurance though. To be legal, all you have to have is a bill of sale dated within the past 30 days. Temp tags are issued at dealers, but private-party sales don't require them. I still stop every single vehicle without plates though because people abuse this ability, so prepare to be stopped... a lot.
    Invisible Signature.......FAIL

It's Complicated
    In Iowa if you have a bill of sale that is within a couple weeks,most officers will give you a pass. I think our temporary tags are valid for 90 days.

Yes if you come through Iowa with no plates or temp plates you WILL get stopped. Probably by every officer that see your vehicle
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    In Iowa if you have a bill of sale that is within a couple weeks,most officers will give you a pass. I think our temporary tags are valid for 90 days.

Yes if you come through Iowa with no plates or temp plates you WILL get stopped. Probably by every officer that see your vehicle
    Right. Vehicles without tags are traffic stop magnets. Vehicles with switched or improper tags are citation magnets.

Forum Member

i will be driving it with tags that are registered to another vehicle in my name, currently parked somewhere. i will have valid insurance and a good bill of sale. since I am a LEO hopeful, I will of course be driving safely under the speed limit with a valid license, no impairments, etc....do you think odds are I would be let go or given a citation for this?...rather than something worse?

thanks for your time guys....dealing with Mass. RMV has been a pain in my *****

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    i will be driving it with tags that are registered to another vehicle in my name, currently parked somewhere. i will have valid insurance and a good bill of sale. since I am a LEO hopeful, I will of course be driving safely under the speed limit with a valid license, no impairments, etc....do you think odds are I would be let go or given a citation for this?...rather than something worse?

I would NOT put other tags on the car. Just have the insurance card and the bill of sale .............That is going to be all you need. You can only use "your old tags" on a new car IF you are replacing that car......for example you have traded your 1972 Pinto on your new car. THEN you can use the tags off the Pinto as temp tags

Quite honestly, you being a LEO -----caught with illegal plates-----would be a NEGATIVE rather than a positive. You would be more likely to receive a citation with the false plates on the car than if you didn't have any plates.

This isn't rocket science. Just my 2 cents
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

That won't fly too well in Alabama. Switching a tag, in other words placing it on a vehicle to which it doesn't belong is a citeable violation. You will be cited, and you'd be amazed at the fine and court costs. You can be certain similar sanctions apply in other states.

Forum Member

I would NOT put other tags on the car. Just have the insurance card and the bill of sale .............That is going to be all you need. You can only use "your old tags" on a new car IF you are replacing that car......for example you have traded your 1972 Pinto on your new car. THEN you can use the tags off the Pinto as temp tags

Quite honestly, you being a LEO -----caught with illegal plates-----would be a NEGATIVE rather than a positive. You would be more likely to receive a citation with the false plates on the car than if you didn't have any plates.

This isn't rocket science. Just my 2 cents
    His profile shows him as a student.

Certified Troll Sprayer
    Putting other tags on it is Providing False Evidence of Title or Registration in Arkansas, which is a Class D Felony. Just food for thought.
    Invisible Signature.......FAIL

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipCal View Post
    His profile shows him as a student.
    I figured as much BUT he stated that he was a LEO........................we all know a cop wouldn't ask the question nor would they talk about doing something illegal in print

Verbal Sniper

In NC you could be cited/arrested and the tags taken as they are fictitious. All it takes is running the tags to see they don't belong on the car you're operating. Having the bill of sale, etc "might" be okay with the Officer stopping you, but obviously that is going to vary based on the Officer.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Verbal Sniper
    I think it says LEO hopeful, Iowa...which I would think he wouldn't want to have to explain an intentional criminal violation at future hiring boards.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    I think it says LEO hopeful, Iowa...which I would think he wouldn't want to have to explain an intentional criminal violation at future hiring boards.
    you are right...........

I need reading comprehension lessons

Welcome back from Vacation

Forum Member

I figured as much BUT he stated that he was a LEO........................we all know a cop wouldn't ask the question nor would they talk about doing something illegal in print
    Roger that.

Verbal Sniper
    you are right...........

I need reading comprehension lessons

Welcome back from Vacation
    Shhhh, I have twelve more hours!!!!