Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Family Life

Forum Member

Family Life

I'm sure all of you answer questions like this daily and get tired of seeing them but this is one of the only places that can give me real experience answers. So I thank you in advance for your opinion/answers. Well, I'm 19, a prospective police officer or firefighter that is having some issues on deciding on which one to persue fully. I have always wanted to help people in some way so naturally these two careers were a no brainer. The only thing is that family is extremely important too and I want to be a big part in my future family's lives (whomever that may be). My heart tells me go firefighter because of the better schedule and more family time (since my city does 24on/48off) but my mind says go Police Officer (Police Dept. here does does four ten hour shifts) because I believe I would enjoy that more. So I am basically at the point of go firefighter, have more family time and like it, or go Police Officer and have less family time but love it. I mean who knows I could end up loving firefighting or hating/just liking Law Enforcement (which I haven't found one career officer to say that lol). But basically all I am asking for is some advice on this kind of thing? Anyone ever been in the same spot? I would appreciate any opinions/stories!
    Thanks

Forum Member
    How many of the people you contact each day as a police officer think you are helping them? A valuable profession, a value to society no doubt.

Help is for social workers.

Forum Member
    This is true, I suppose most wouldn't consider that an officer is helping them and/or society. But I suppose its the personal satisfication that I helped to get one more bad person put away, helped a stranded motorist, tried to resolve an issue for someone in distress, etc.

Macho Man
    Depending on your area, you can just go cross certified, be a po-po most of the time & help out and drag hoses sometimes too, you don't have to pick one, you just have to pick a primary.

It should be answered with...what career do you want to pursue more, not which one has more time off.
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Forum Member
    Does your location have volunteer firefighters and/or part-time officers? You could give them a try and see which field you like better.

Forum Member
    This series makes me laugh.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jezSeQnfCg

Forum Member
    Well my area is pretty small a town of about 100k so I'm pretty sure I can't do the double thing. However, we do have many small volunteer departments around the area that I'm trying to join. I'm not going by how much time they have off, its more or less an issue about family time. I just see some of my friend's dads whom are police that work the night and my friends hardly ever see them. I just want to be very present in my families lives (when that day comes around). So that is where I am having my trouble deciding

It strictly depends on how much you want your family life to work. You have to know you won't be there for everything, but you will have time off so you can make it up.

Also depends on your family and how much they want to work at it.
    Last edited by JTShooter; 08-12-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Both jobs will magnify your relationships. If you are a strong family, they will make you stronger. If you are destined for failure, you will know quickly.

M-11
    5whiskey, Jacob2899 and PE12 like this.
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
    How many of the people you contact each day as a police officer think you are helping them? A valuable profession, a value to society no doubt.

That's a pretty ignorant comment, though not surprising coming from someone who's not a cop and walked in our shoes. Does taking a report on a call where a neighbor is complaining about the length of his neighbor's lawn help society? No, I'll grant you that. But how explain to me how the officer arresting the father who has molested his own child (or stepfather, uncle, neighbor, etc) isn't helping that child, or society as a whole by taking another pedophile off the streets.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    That's a pretty ignorant comment, though not surprising coming from someone who's not a cop and walked in our shoes. Does taking a report on a call where a neighbor is complaining about the length of his neighbor's lawn help society? No, I'll grant you that. But how explain to me how the officer arresting the father who has molested his own child (or stepfather, uncle, neighbor, etc) isn't helping that child, or society as a whole by taking another pedophile off the streets.
    Did you even read what I typed? A valuable profession, a value to society no doubt.

My point that while being a value to society the people you whoop on, beat down, arrest and stop from doing crime do not think you are helping them, you are there to stop things they want to do. Sure you assist people all the time, but you interfere with what people want to do more.

Did you even read what I typed? A valuable profession, a value to society no doubt.

My point that while being a value to society the people you whoop on, beat down, arrest and stop from doing crime do not think you are helping them, you are there to stop things they want to do. Sure you assist people all the time, but you interfere with what people want to do more.
    Last edited by Buffaloboy; 08-18-2011 at 01:33 AM.
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

For every person who's thwarted as to doing what he wanted to do, there's at least one victim who is helped (or offered help, even if the offered help is refused). And sometimes the person who was thwarted in doing certain things is given help whether or not he wants it. Example: my ex--when he was arrested for stalking me, the fact that he was in custody and didn't get out again (he never made bail) made an immediate improvement in my life and the life of my four children. Ex--well, it solved his "homelessness problem" for him (he could have gotten a job and a place to live, but he had chosen not to, I guess because it'd've interfered with his stalking schedule) and he was put on medications (I know he has blood pressure issues and had been really bad about taking his meds even before his first felony arrest; he's no longer got the option to not take his meds as ordered, plus in court he made mention of being on anti-depressants, something I *know* he wouldn't have chosen, though he never seemed to have issues w/ self-medicating with illegal drugs).

The difference isn't that one profession is more helpful than the other; the difference is in the likelihood of expressions of gratitude from those who were helped. (So I guess one's tolerance for ingratitude might matter.)
    Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. --Mark Twain

Poke'mon Master
    whichever one you can get... doesnt show your location but if your in California good luck (pretty sure you arent though). Do you want to be a Hero or a Villan. 19... so young. Good luck with whichever one you persue.
    Gotta catch em allll.........

Forum Member

Family Life

I know one thing from my childhood if you help other person so gods help you and your family.What people talking to you thats not matter.so go ahead..and do your work honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by redium View Post
    I know one thing from my childhood if you help other person so gods help you and your family.What people talking to you thats not matter.so go ahead..and do your work honestly.

I know one thing from my adult hood. People will kill you for your shoes and **** on your dead body. Other people will post incoherent posts on internet forums.
    icecoldblueyes, sgt jon and GPC like this.
    "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence...
    Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land... The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa."
    Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Last edited by sgt jon; 09-24-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    icecoldblueyes likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

While it is admirable to want to help society, the reality is that you must do what’s best for YOU. Don’t base your life’s decisions on the potential shift schedule or days off. Base them on what your heart tells you. Do your homework and talk to folks in the business. Take what they say with a grain of salt and start your planning process from there.

While I appreciate your take, the whole “helping” thing is a overly quaint. Not saying that your not serious about the question, just that you need to appreciate that there is more to it than that.

Some will argue that running into a burning building and saving lives contributes more than say a cop arresting some stickup kid, but in reality, if you work 9-5 at the local Widget Factory, pay your taxes, provide for your family and are a good citizen, you are helping society.
    Pogue Mahone and Jacob2899 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Forum Member

Thumbs up Family Life

Thats a very good questions.In my opnion your work shold be for social.The work should must be helping nature for everybody.In asingle word help for the social.Give the right way to the child also bcoz they are the future for our society.

Forum Member
    Thats a very good questions.In my opnion your work shold be for social.The work should must be helping nature for everybody.In asingle word help for the social.Give the right way to the child also bcoz they are the future for our society.
    pujolsfan146 and Trauma1 like this.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Huh? What's a good question?
    Your flight of ideas has given me and possibly a few other here, a headache.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperST
    "The fail is strong with this one."

I needed a good laugh so damn bad and I just got it.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
    I needed a good laugh so damn bad and I just got it.
    pujolsfan146 likes this.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Forum Member

Social workers get pooped on more than anyone I know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast