1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ABQ, NM
    Posts
    685

    Red Bull vs. Coffee - Healthy?

    Would you say that drinking 3 cups of coffee on a graveyard shift is healthier than having a 12 oz. can of Red Bull?

    Looks like Red Bull has a 114 mg of caffeine in a 12 oz can. And coffee has 120 mg. per cup, so it's about 360 mg of caffeine.

    Usually, sipping on a single Red Bull will get me through the entire shift, or drinking 3 cups of coffee.
    So it's a lot more caffeine in coffee, but it doesn't have all the "other chemicals" that Red Bull has.

    Which do you think is healthier?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    dontknowwhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,775
    I would say coffee, but I don't really drink a lot of caffeine. Will Brink has a really good write up about caffeine. I can't remember if he posted it here or if I saw it on his site (brinkzone.com, I believe).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ABQ, NM
    Posts
    685
    I'll check it out, thanks for the 10-49

  4. #4
    Haterade Distributor
    USMARINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boonies, OH
    Posts
    1,078
    I go with Monster, that Rehab kind with no carbonation. Also belt out a few push-ups if it's slow to keep the blood pumping.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    dontknowwhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by irish21 View Post
    I'll check it out, thanks for the 10-49
    You're welcome for the Speeding Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ABQ, NM
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by USMARINE View Post
    I go with Monster, that Rehab kind with no carbonation. Also belt out a few push-ups if it's slow to keep the blood pumping.
    Yeah I do the pushup thing too. Or do some random foot patrols to keep that blood circulating.

    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    You're welcome for the Speeding Auto
    Lol it's "information" in my neck of the woods. I suppose either way it works haha.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Silk&Cyanide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    77
    Redbull also has a TON of sugar in it. That's the part that is truly unhealthy. Coffee, if taken black, actually ends up having a negative calorie count due to the caffeine. I don't think three cups is necessarily bad. Try to have your last cup about 6 or so hours before you go to bed. You will sleep better.

  8. #8
    Go on, touch it...
    JSD73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,783
    My question would be why is it you need that to make it through the shift? Are you not sleeping enough? There are times I've succumbed to a cup of coffee or two on a shift, but it is not a nightly thing and my shifts are 12 hours. I would submit that you are addicted to caffeine and think you can't make it without it as evidenced by your need for either one red bull or three cups of coffee....a psychological addiction if you will.
    Last edited by JSD73; 07-24-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    LiveFast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where it rains more then it shines...
    Posts
    148
    You can get sugar free redbull, which is what I drink... So you don't have that big sugar rush.. However I've been told coffee is better for you because it's just water and caffeine primarily while redbull has a lot of other things in it that aren't as good for you... Which hasn't stopped me from my redbull habit!
    Life's too short for regrets...

    I can learn something from anyone, even if it's what not to do...

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    needguidance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,972
    Redbull is loaded with vitamin B's and other good stuff where coffee is not.
    Coffee has been known know to have it's own health benefits.

    I say drink both!

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ABQ, NM
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by Silk&Cyanide View Post
    Redbull also has a TON of sugar in it. That's the part that is truly unhealthy. Coffee, if taken black, actually ends up having a negative calorie count due to the caffeine. I don't think three cups is necessarily bad. Try to have your last cup about 6 or so hours before you go to bed. You will sleep better.
    Eh, 27g of sugar isn't really a "ton", hell it's less than most sodas.

    Quote Originally Posted by JSD73 View Post
    My question would be why is it you need that to make it through the shift? Are you not sleeping enough? There are times I've succumbed to a cup of coffee or two on a shift, but it is not a nightly thing and my shifts are 12 hours. I would submit that you are addicted to caffeine and think you can't make it without it as evidenced by your need for either one red bull or three cups of coffee....a psychological addiction if you will.
    It might be a psychological addiction. I usually get about 8-9 hours of sleep. I don't feel "sleepy" without it; I just like the feeling of being "alert" and "energized" while on duty.

    Quote Originally Posted by needguidance View Post
    Redbull is loaded with vitamin B's and other good stuff where coffee is not.
    Coffee has been known know to have it's own health benefits.

    I say drink both!
    Haha by far the best answer!

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    274
    I love Redbull and I love coffee. I don't think the caffeine is the problem, it is all of the other stuff that concerns me. Redbull has been banned in a number of other countries and that should raise some red flags (no pun intended). A recent study found that Redbull can increase your risk of blood clots and other heart related issues. NASCAR driver Brian Vickers (26 years old) was pulled from a race due to a medical issue from drinking Redbull last May. Thats some scary stuff!

    I don't want to gork out on patrol from a stroke or a blood clot caused by drinking a can of juice! I have enough problems to worry about! I'm sticking to coffee. But I have to admit I LOVE Redbull! This is going to be like quitting smoking.

  13. #13
    Police Officer
    Michigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,914
    A pot of coffee and a monster or two.... per shift. Is that bad? : (
    Certified troll.

  14. #14
    LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    WillBrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by irish21 View Post
    Would you say that drinking 3 cups of coffee on a graveyard shift is healthier than having a 12 oz. can of Red Bull?

    Looks like Red Bull has a 114 mg of caffeine in a 12 oz can. And coffee has 120 mg. per cup, so it's about 360 mg of caffeine.

    Usually, sipping on a single Red Bull will get me through the entire shift, or drinking 3 cups of coffee.
    So it's a lot more caffeine in coffee, but it doesn't have all the "other chemicals" that Red Bull has.

    Which do you think is healthier?
    It's important to note caffeine and coffee do not have the same effects. See:

    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...highlight=fein

    RedBull is just over priced caffeine in my view.
    - Will

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

  15. #15
    LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    WillBrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    I would say coffee, but I don't really drink a lot of caffeine. Will Brink has a really good write up about caffeine. I can't remember if he posted it here or if I saw it on his site (brinkzone.com, I believe).
    I posted it here on the forums:

    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...highlight=fein
    - Will

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

  16. #16
    LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    WillBrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticCop View Post
    I A recent study found that Redbull can increase your risk of blood clots and other heart related issues.
    Can you cite that study for me? I'd like to read it. News to me.
    - Will

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Item9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    A pot of coffee and a monster or two.... per shift. Is that bad? : (
    Holy cow! When I start using that much caffeine, I cut it out for a while. Then after 2 weeks or so, 1 cup of coffee has me bouncing off the walls again.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    jason860's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    365
    Chemically speaking, I would suggest coffee over red bull or any similar drink. As with food or drink, a lot of scientific data could go either way. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15823127...ealthy-or-not/
    I stay away from caffeine in general because my body does not handle it well. But, in regards to food or drink your genetics is the variable. Like they say everyone is different. That is not necessarily a liberal jest, as our bodies all react differently to different substances. I am sure we all know someone who eats fried everything and drinks a quart of whiskey a day. Well at least for me and my great grandmother lived until the ripe old age of 101. She outlived all her children, but one. Some people are just genetically lucky I suppose.

    Like for me, instead of coffee for breakfast, I usually eat a boiled egg or two for breakfast with rye toast. On the side I have low sugar orange juice, Vitamin A and C with fish oil. It gets me pumped up for the day. But, what works for me does not work for someone else. And if i am in a rush just subway BMT with veggies and orange juice with my vitamins.

    And for late shifts, that I sometimes work, B12 with some green tea does it for me.
    Last edited by jason860; 07-26-2011 at 01:56 AM.
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    ~Mark Twain

    Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

    "Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
    — Horace Mann

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    A pot of coffee and a monster or two.... per shift. Is that bad? : (
    Goodness man! Not the healthiest but whatever gets you going.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    central florida
    Posts
    880
    Consumer reports did a study on sports drinks, and found, many products like monster, had other ingredients not listed on the label, in the beverages.
    "come on vacation, leave on probation"

  21. #21
    LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    WillBrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpatrol View Post
    Consumer reports did a study on sports drinks, and found, many products like monster, had other ingredients not listed on the label, in the beverages.
    Do you have a URL/cite for that one? I'd like to read it. Thanx
    - Will

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register