Forum Member

glock 22 slide issue (gen 4)

First and foremost getting this checked out by glock armorer today but just curious if anyone has heard or experienced anything like this.

Got a glock 22 gen 4 with night sights for pay to play academy here in Texas. Didn't fire it until academy, when I did fire it shot left about 3-4 inches at 10 yards. Thought it was trigger pull so instructors watched me but could not find the cause so we moved sights all the way to right and still shooting left so I accepted it was my mechanics and just need to practice. Well I am going to the range today so last night I was inspecting my pistol and when I was putting the slide back on the frame it looked like it was going on crooked. I took it off and tried again and it appears to do it again and even the rear edge of the slide catches on the trigger mechanism unless its crooked. Oddly enough the slide goes on crooked or appears to be crooked so that a shot would go slightly left.

Just curious if anyone else has seen or heard this.
    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
    -Sun Tzu

St. Cloud Proud!
    all i can think of is a bent slide. did you drop it on concrete while disassembling? May have been dropped at factory. Generally it would be unlikely that the actual rails on the frame are bent. Also make sure all 4 rails are lined up when reassembling, not really sure what else it could be? im also a glock armorer and can take a look if you maybe take some pics and post on here?
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member

Barrel locks in the slide, sights on slide, it could be sideways on the trigger frame and this would not effect accuracy.

2-3" at 30 feet is not much misalignment, when you moved the rear sight all the way to the right it should have more than made up for 3-4" at 30 feet. I suspect you are dorking the trigger.

First off sight the gun in off a mechanical rest or sandbags so you can not move the pistol alignment when you pull the trigger and sight it in like that. Get your sights adjusted for that.

Now buy a snap cap or two and have a buddly load randomly in your magazine so you do not know when the gun is not going to fire. As you shoot watch your sights after the shot, do not blink your eyes when you shoot. Now when the gun does not fire because you loaded a snap cap you will see which way you dipped the muzzle when you pulled the trigger. Now stop doing that and your bullets will hit the target.

I am not saying your slide is not crooked, if it is get that fixed, I am saying that is not your problem missing the target.

Forum Member
    I was issued a Gen4 at my old dept (actually we all were since our old ones were OLD) and hated it. No one shot well with it and several people who were normally high shooters failed their first round. All we could figure out was it had something to do with the extremely rough trigger pull. I took mine to a Glock armorer and he had no idea what was up with it, other than the trigger sucked. He offered to polish the trigger but the department said no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member
    This comes up on the GlockTalk forums fairly frequently. The folks over there that are more knowledgeable than I say that this is normal (slide going on crooked) and it's nothing to worry about. I think several of them actually contacted Glock tech service and they said it was normal.

Forum Member

Well ruling out the shooter is easy. Have someone else fire the weapon; if they also shoot several inches to the left you know it is the gun.

Forum Member
    Yeah i was just thinking about that. Or you could do what my chief did, and have you hold and aim the Glock, and let someone else pull the trigger.

24/7/365
    Gen 4's have a small bump on the trigger bar that makes the slide shift when taking it on / off, that is normal.

Dave is correct that 3-4" is small at your distance. Even if you pushed the sights all the way to one side that should put you WAAAY off target. I would also think it to be shooter related, but a mechanical problem is not out of the question. A left hand push is very common shooter related error especially for those who seem to be new to Glocks, which is a shooter issue and not the weapons issue.

Again a mechanical problem is not out of the question. Did someone else even bother to shoot the weapon from a rested position before pushing the sights? FWIW, LE firearms instructors are not always the best at actually shooting, analyzing a shooters error and correcting it, especially the fine nuances. Many have base knowledge and teach off of a lesson plan.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Forum Member

Many people hit hard left with a glock. Like others have said have someone else shoot the gun. Very few factory glocks need any sight adjustment at all. Of course it is possible that you have a mechanical issue with the gun. Just don't over think it. Start simple and go from there.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member
    Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
    Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
    hahahahah
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member
    Sorry took so long to get back with y'all. The glock armorer looked at it and said it's fine, it does in fact look crooked until it's about 3/4 of the way on and past trigger mechanism and straightens up. I put the medium backstrap on as it placed my hands and finger in the correct place but was a little uncomfortable at first. I shot fairly well with it, still no expert by any means but with less than 1000 rounds through the weapon it can only get better....I hope.
    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
    -Sun Tzu