Forum Member

Pushing Yourself Vs. Hurting Yourself

So, I've been nursing a strained hamstring since my run on Sunday and I have been doing some low impact exercise and swimming all week. It got me really thinking about the fine line that is between hurting yourself and pushing yourself.

In my normal workout, I have one rest day and one "easy" day which consists of 30 minutes of swimming. The other 5 days I go all out and give 100%. (run, swim, bike, lift) No pain, no gain, right?

Well, my body just got done telling me to slow down and take a break because of the injury. I don't know I need a break by getting injured. I don't listen to my body when it tells me to slow down. I try and push through the pain because I have been taught that to make improvements and get better, you need to ignore the signs of fatigue and push through the pain. I feel guilty if I miss a day, and I can't bring myself to just take a week off every three months because I am stuck on the dogmatic view of no pain no gain mentality.

So how do YOU know where the line is? When do you push through fatigue, and when do you take a break and recover? Thanks for your insight.
    "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Forum Member
    I think you just asked the million dollar question. That is what its all about--trying to improve by pushing one's limits without getting injured or sick.

I would not ignore true pain but "strain" or fatigue is definitely what we need to improve.

Over the years, I've found out that I need to take more rest days so I only train 4-5 days per week with 4 being the usual.

Looking forward to other responses.

I used to be the same way, I'd push every workout. Nearly every run was at least a tempo run or better. Then a buddy of mine who is a phenomenal runner (16:00ish in the 5k at 49 years old) started being my mentor and coach. The very first thing he did was make me run slower. It sounds strange, but I got faster by running slower. That really hammered home the idea of rest to me.

I now follow every hard day with an easy day and take at least one full day off every week. Of late, I've gotten much more in touch with what my body is doing and saying to me and that has helped tremendously in keeping the injuries at bay.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.