Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Hardest part of being a rookie

Curious to see what was tough, or wasn't tough for you all. Personally i think remembering all the codes would be hard. I like to watch cops and Alaska State Troopers and hear all the codes being thrown out. Personally i think its so cool how the just click for them. My dad has an old police scanner from his department in his office i listen to periodically and try to put things together, only to still be lost.
    Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way.

Band-aid jockey
    Most of us don't use the 10 codes anymore and switched to plain English. The hardest part was the fear of getting it wrong for me. The academy doesn't teach you how to perform the essentials of being an officer. Only the FTO can do that, and "rookies" can have a hard time realizing that.

Forum Member

do lots of departments have different 10 codes or do the codes stay the same everywhere?
    Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymedic View Post
    Most of us don't use the 10 codes anymore and switched to plain English. The hardest part was the fear of getting it wrong for me. The academy doesn't teach you how to perform the essentials of being an officer. Only the FTO can do that, and "rookies" can have a hard time realizing that.
    I absolutely agree with the part about getting it wrong. I asked a million questions before finally one day my supervisor told me to stop. He said do what you think is right. Make mistakes and fix them after the fact. It was amazing how much more I knew than I thought. Not saying I know it all, but I would ask questions about basic, everyday stuff. It was stuff that I knew how to do but wanted clarification/acknowledgment that what I Was doing was right.

Quote Originally Posted by TJake1990 View Post
    do lots of departments have different 10 codes or do the codes stay the same everywhere?
    Here in PA we're dispatched by our county. Each county has different 10 codes. My department doesn't use 10 codes, however, some of our neighboring departments use them frequently. For us, we still have to know them or be lost when others use them.
    Brad

Forum Member
    Coming from college, it was very hard to absorb all of the information at one time. The radio, watch your car, your gear, the bandit, your partner, and work a tough neighborhood. Very intimidating for a couple months till you get your feet wet. Good experience though.

It's Complicated
    The hardest part was the fear of getting it wrong for me. The academy doesn't teach you how to perform the essentials of being an officer. Only the FTO can do that, and "rookies" can have a hard time realizing that.
    Nicely said.

The academy teaches you the basics. HOW to do certain things.
    That CJ degree teaches the theory of the profession.

FTO teaches you how to do the job correctly.

Been a long time since I was a rookie..............long time.

Started a new job this month. Learning the routine things and the paperwork is the hardest things so far.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    Street locations.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
    Street locations.
    I heard a 15 yr veteran ask for a cross street the other day on a hot call.

(It wasn't on a new street either)----------------
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Trying to figure out the co-workers you can trust, and weeding out the ones you can't.

Aged like a fine wine

Lightbulb To: TJake1990............keep your mouth shut, listen and learn!

The hardest part for rookies is to not be a 'know-it-all' a-hole.......
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Forum Member
    Streets!!! Esp since I worked in a town I had been to only about 3 times before applying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I heard a 15 yr veteran ask for a cross street the other day on a hot call.

(It wasn't on a new street either)----------------
    It happens to the best of them. In their old age they must forget.

Iowa, or anyone for that matter...Did you ever ask for cross streets and get "Dead End and" and right then you're like, oh crap. Then they tell you the an easy street and the relief sets in?
    Brad

Forum Member

nothing like "whats the cross streets"? and they give you the same street " jones st and jones st". Then you have to ask the closest main street and the block number and it always the opposite direction you are driving. I think getting a good radio ear was the hardest. You have to listen to the radio even when your talking to victims or suspects.

Forum Member
    First assignment out of the Academy was 'morning watch'. The hours were 10:30pm-6:30am. Trying to find my way around very dark streets was tough. On alot of the streets perps had turned the street signs around or stolen them. In the days before GPS this made things very difficult.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    On alot of the streets perps had turned the street signs around or stolen them. In the days before GPS this made things very difficult.
    Try working a rural county................gravel roads that were not even named...........................(pre 911 address days) Back when GPS wasn't even a dream.

You just learned. We had a map book with co-ordinate grids in my county..................But we were a large population county. The smaller ones just usually had the dispatcher give directions.

It really wasn't unusual to hear " Go two miles south of Howard's Corner, take a right and go five miles. Turn left and just past the bridge turn on the dirt road................and the house is somewhere down that road."

Equal Height Equal Light

Learning to multi-task: driving/MDT/radio/SA/squad status (that dude looks shady and I have PC/are enough guys clear for me to go out on him/yes they are/seatbelt/call it out/go out/etc), and getting my radio ear.

Forum Member

As others said....my biggest obstacle was learning the streets...I moved to Phoenix from Jersey so I had to learn the streets and how they were numbered and what side even and odd numbers were on....was taking me forever and I was getting frustrated until my FTO finally told me how everything was layed out...after that I never had a problem with it again...even after moving to a new precinct...I didn't know all the streets but I understood how the hundred blocks worked and was able to find my way to calls pretty easily.

Forum Member
    I hate streets that dead end and pick back up several blocks away and maybe even a block or two north or south of the original one. You'd think city planners could just think of another name for them. That always hurt me as a rook. I'd go down the road looking for the 1100 block and it would stop at 900 or something. Then I'd have to go back around and find what I was looking for.

Forum Member

The toughest thing for a rookie is buying all his FTO's meals and coffee on a rookie salary

Forum Member
    The hardest part was the fear of getting it wrong for me.
    This. You screw up flipping a burger and you're out a patty of beef. You screw up on this job and you just violated someone's rights or worse.

As for 10-codes, the first 10 are nearly universal. After that, it's anyone's guess.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWil View Post
    The toughest thing for a rookie is buying all his FTO's meals and coffee on a rookie salary
    Seriously? I never bought coffee, and he'd buy Wendy's one night. I'd buy it the next.

Opionated
    To stfu, listen, learn from your mistakes the first time and realize that the FTO and SGT are teaching you things that you might understand and think are trivial, but in the long run will save your 6.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Forum Member

Currently being a rookie....For me it's the "bottom of the totem pole" stuff.
    -Been on graveyards the past 5 months.
    -Can't use annual leave or sick leave hours.
    -Schedule changes wildly. 14 hour shift one day, 8 hour shift next, days off are randomly changed, get called in to fill anyones hours.
    -Warrants of any nature are handed off to me to go serve.

El Sombrero Grande
    I think for me the job clicked pretty well so I never really struggled with that aspect of it. I guess if I had to pick something, I would say just being young, looking young and trying to pass myself off as knowing what I'm doing to those I came in contact with (citizens, dirtbags, etc.). It usually worked fairly well, but I hated it when people asked me how long I had been doing the job. I always used to include my civilian time from another agency and make it sound like I had been a cop somewhere else before for four years. I didn't lie, I just said, "Well, one year with THIS agency..." Then they would ask, "Oh, so you used to work for another one?" Worked like a charm.

I still don't like people asking how long I've been doing my job. I look forward to breaking the 10 year mark next year - that sounds respectable.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by NBW791 View Post

I still don't like people asking how long I've been doing my job. I look forward to breaking the 10 year mark next year - that sounds respectable.
    You know, don't' you, that 5 yrs is the statistically break point. If you make it that long -----stats say you will remain in the profession until retirement. Well over 95% of the officers who leave the profession do so before the 5 yr mark.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last