Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NY State Window Tint Infraction

Forum Member

NY State Window Tint Infraction

Well, I am hoping someone can give me some advice on this one as far as the best way to approach the ticket...

I have received a few window tint tickets in my day, therefore I had the tint removed and had a lighter shade put back on. Still illegal, but clearly transparent unless it is pitch black outside. I was pulled over yesterday in mid daylight by a State Trooper and given a ticket. What I am confused about though, is normally a window tint ticket is a correctable ticket, meaning you can get them taken off in order to dismiss the ticket. This officer gave me a non-correctable ticket. Not only that but the ticket was out of my area, about 40 minutes away from my home (was on my way to mountain biking). How do I take care of this ticket? Do I plead not guilty and then have to come back to court again to talk to the prosecutor, or do I just plead guilty, suck up the fine and leave it at that? If I plead not guilty, is there any chance of the ticket getting dropped? Just looking for advice on how to handle the situation. Thanks

(--GOD--)
    Quote Originally Posted by srbecker58 View Post
    Well, I am hoping someone can give me some advice on this one as far as the best way to approach the ticket...

I have received a few window tint tickets in my day, therefore I had the tint removed and had a lighter shade put back on. Still illegal, but clearly transparent unless it is pitch black outside so it's still illegal and you acknowledge your guilt . I was pulled over yesterday in mid daylight by a State Trooper and given a ticket. it does not matter what time of day it was What I am confused about though, is normally a window tint ticket is a correctable ticket, meaning you can get them taken off in order to dismiss the ticket. This officer gave me a non-correctable ticket. Not only that but the ticket was out of my area, it does not matter about 40 minutes away from my home (was on my way to mountain biking). How do I take care of this ticket? pay the fine Do I plead not guilty and then have to come back to court again to talk to the prosecutor, go to court if you wish but you will still pay the fine or do I just plead guilty, suck up the fine and leave it at that? If I plead not guilty, is there any chance of the ticket getting dropped? no Just looking for advice on how to handle the situation. Thanks

Pay your fine and take the tint off! or just keep getting tickets.

p.s. your taillights are illegal also
    Last edited by Buffaloboy; 07-13-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Forum Member

My taillights are legal. They have no tint on them. They are just aftermarket LED lights, nothing illegal about them.

Forum Member

What never ceases to amaze me is the number of people who come to this site and ask the type questions this OP does. OK, I'll bite. First, follow my colleague's advice concerning removing the tint entirely. No tint= no citation. Here are a couple of additional thoughts which might just end up saving the OP a little time and money. If you simply MUST have tint,stick with factory applied tint as it will be in compliance with NY State Law. Now, the citation. The violator copy(that's you) should have instructions for taking care of the citation. There should be a phone number for the court, so you should be able to contact them for any information you might need. We cannot provide that specific information. The court to which the citation is returnable can. Contact them.

(--GOD--)
    My taillights are legal. They have no tint on them. They are just aftermarket LED lights, nothing illegal about them.

They are not DOT legal...so yes they are illegal.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Mr. Becker, I believe you've been here before with similar issues. While there's really no limit to the number of times you can visit or inquire, simple compliance with the law will save you both time and money. In your place, in my place, I'd be very careful with after market equipment. The guy behind the counter at Auto Zone, Tint is Us, or some other provider, isn't going to pay your citations. If you absolutely have to have aftermarket stuff on your car, you need to ascertain that it is in compliance with DOT standards. Anything not in compliance can end up costing you money, and believe me, you don't want it. O T H, if aftermarket is your game, then by all means go for it. In deciding to pursue that course, be certain to have sufficient money on hand to cover the fines and court costs you'll most certainly be required to pay.

Forum Member

I understand what you are saying and by no means want to argue, but everything on and in my car ARE DOT compliant and legal except for my front drivers/passengers window tint. I had it so dark you couldnt see in, now I have since had it removed and had 50% installed, which is one shade below legal, and you can clearly see in so I thought i would no longer be bothered with such a light shade, but apparently I was wrong.

(--GOD--)
    Actually, most windows come from the factory tinted, which is already at or close to nys limit.

Forum Member

You used tint you knew was illegal. You received UTT's. You then took that tint off and used tint which was (in your misguided opinion) a little less illegal. You received another UTT. Hint: illegal is illegal.

Seeing a pattern here?

We do not "coach" people on how to beat tickets.

And, I'm seeing more UTT's in your future...

-V

Forum Member

I apologize if thats what you thought I was looking for, I by no means want you to coach me on how to beat the ticket, I just wanted to know what the best way to approach it was. Since it is a non correctable ticket, is there a point in pleading not guilty like most people usually do to get a ticket reduced? Or like buffalo boy said, just pay the fine and either take the tints off to prevent future tickets or get more tickets?

I understand what you are saying and by no means want to argue, but everything on and in my car ARE DOT compliant and legal except for my front drivers/passengers window tint. I had it so dark you couldnt see in, now I have since had it removed and had 50% installed, which is one shade below legal, and you can clearly see in so I thought i would no longer be bothered with such a light shade, but apparently I was wrong.
    Wtf? Its illegal. Pay the fine. He didn't have to warn you. Its illegal. Is this stuff really so hard?
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffIL View Post
    Wtf? Its illegal. Pay the fine. He didn't have to warn you. Its illegal. Is this stuff really so hard?
    I know it's hard J, but you have to keep in mind the self-entitled attitude that has taken over our Country...

-V

I ♥ my GLOCK

I have received a few window tint tickets in my day, therefore I had the tint removed and had a lighter shade put back on. Still illegal, but clearly transparent unless it is pitch black outside. I was pulled over yesterday in mid daylight by a State Trooper and given a ticket. What I am confused about though, is normally a window tint ticket is a correctable ticket, meaning you can get them taken off in order to dismiss the ticket. This officer gave me a non-correctable ticket. Not only that but the ticket was out of my area, about 40 minutes away from my home (was on my way to mountain biking). How do I take care of this ticket? Do I plead not guilty and then have to come back to court again to talk to the prosecutor, or do I just plead guilty, suck up the fine and leave it at that? If I plead not guilty, is there any chance of the ticket getting dropped? Just looking for advice on how to handle the situation. Thanks
    What you're confused about is the law. If you've previously been cited for unlawful window tint, why do you continue to drive around with unlawfully tinted windows? Why would you have tint removed, and then replace it with tint knew wasn't legal? Does that make any sense at all??? Section 375.12b of the NYS VTL governs light transmittance on auto glass, maybe you should read up on that section. Also, if you want a rough estimate, the windows on our marked Troop cars are as dark as you can get. The Trooper didn't give you a statement of correction because tint tickets are not correctable violations. Section 376-a of the NYS VTL covers that one if your interested. Not to mention that last year DMV issued a directive to all LE agencies in the state that window tint tickets were not correctable violations and as such a statement of correction cannot be issued.

You can plead guilty through the mail if your worried about driving 40 minutes. If not, plead not guilty and appear in person. I'm sure that was explained to you on the side of the road. And in the future, don't break the law and you won't find yourself in this position.

Oh yea, the guy that wrote you're ticket...you know the one in the gray and purple driving the blue & gold car....we prefer to be called Trooper...not officer. jus' sayin'
    Last edited by reils49; 07-13-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by reils49 View Post
    What you're confused about is the law. If you've previously been cited for unlawful window tint, why do you continue to drive around with unlawfully tinted windows? Why would you have tint removed, and then replace it with tint knew wasn't legal? Does that make any sense at all??? Section 375.12b of the NYS VTL governs light transmittance on auto glass, maybe you should read up on that section. Also, if you want a rough estimate, the windows on our marked Troop cars are as dark as you can get. The Trooper didn't give you a statement of correction because tint tickets are not correctable violations. Section 376-a of the NYS VTL covers that one if your interested. Not to mention that last year DMV issued a directive to all LE agencies in the state that window tint tickets were not correctable violations and as such a statement of correction cannot be issued.

You can plead guilty through the mail if your worried about driving 40 minutes. If not, plead not guilty and appear in person. I'm sure that was explained to you on the side of the road. And in the future, don't break the law and you won't find yourself in this position.

Oh yea, the guy that wrote you're ticket...you know the one in the gray and purple driving the blue & gold car....we prefer to be called Trooper...not officer. jus' sayin'
    Ok, Officer. (Sorry Brother, couldn't resist, lol).

-V

jakflak
    I know this wasn't your original point but it never ceases to amaze me when people come on here asking cops about what the law says then arguing that they're wrong. If you just wanted someone to tell you you're right, ask one of your friends. If you want the law, ask a cop then don't argue if you disagree, just move on.

"All lights are SAE/DOT approved"
    If I had a nickel for everyone who's gone to court for a equipment violation with the defense "The box/installer said it was legal..." Check the law, not the manufacturer's site.

Anyway, to answer the original question: pay your fine and peel off the tints.

Forum Member

I believe the State Police no longer plea bargain their Traffic Tickets. Pleading Not Guilty means you will show up to a hearing in which the State Trooper will be present and will testify against you. Also, the reason the court is so far away is because the Trooper makes the ticket returnable to the court in the jurisdiction in which the infraction was committed. So no, you won't get the ticket dropped. The Troopers don't operate like that. You won't even get it plead down to a lesser charge. Light transmission on windows in your car must be 70% or higher. They basically have to have no tint on them.
    Last edited by nyc7011; 07-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by vincelli View Post
    Ok, Officer. (Sorry Brother, couldn't resist, lol).

-V
    Thanks V.

Cant keep it under 100...
    Actually, most windows come from the factory tinted, which is already at or close to nys limit
    It's actually stained glass and at or around 77-78% light transmittal.

Now, it's been a few years since I've worked in the great, taxation state of NY, but if I remember right, the tint laws are pretty strict and anything less than 78% is illegal. I don't remember the actual percentage number though.

So, basically, any shade over the factory stained glass will put any vehicle in violation of NYS VTL, no matter how light it may appear.

Forum Member

It's got to be 70% light transmission. So basically yes. Factory stained is about as dark as it can legally be.

Forum Member

What do NY LEO's do if the car is from another state?

(--GOD--)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Soviet View Post
    What do NY LEO's do if the car is from another state?

Vehicles must adhere to the laws of the state they are in, not where they are from.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffaloboy View Post
    Vehicles must adhere to the laws of the state they are in, not where they are from.
    Oh, okay. So I have to drive around the country with my trunk full of easily foldable windows & windshields with the different classes of window tint. Got it.

Makes perfect sense.

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Soviet View Post
    Oh, okay. So I have to drive around the country with my trunk full of easily foldable windows & windshields with the different classes of window tint. Got it.

Makes perfect sense.
    When you enter a state, you're required to obey their laws. If you don't like it, don't come here. I could care less.
    NYTPRF likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last