Forum Member

New handgun law effective 7/1/2011

Has anyone else read the new law?

Senate Bill 506 (Public Law 164-2011)
    Authors: Tomes, Kruse
    Sponsor: VanNatter
    Citations Affected: IC 35-47
    Effective: July 1, 2011
    Handgun possession. Allows a person to carry a handgun without being licensed to carry a
    handgun if: (1) the person is in or on property, or in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or
    otherwise legally controlled by the person; (2) the person is lawfully present in or on private
    property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the
    person has the consent of the owner to have the handgun on the premises, is attending a firearms
    related event, or is receiving firearms related services; (3) the person is lawfully present in a
    vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person; (4) the
    person is carrying the handgun at a shooting range, while attending a firearms instructional
    course, or while engaged in a legal hunting activity; or (5) the handgun is unloaded and securely
    wrapped. (Current law provides that a person who does not possess a valid handgun license may
    not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body unless the person: (1) is in
    the person's dwelling or fixed place of business or on the person's property; or (2) is carrying the
    handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place where the handgun was purchased to
    the person's dwelling or fixed place of business, between a handgun repair shop and the person's
    dwelling or fixed place of business, or from one dwelling or fixed place of business to another.)
    Specifies that a person who has been convicted of domestic battery may not possess or carry a
    handgun unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored by a court.

Forum Member
    I wonder how many people without the LTCH will overlook the "unloaded and securely wrapped" part.

Forum Member
    I think these are good common sense laws. Up to and including vacating local ordinances of where a LTCH person cannot legally carry. I always thought it was kind of silly for a town/city council to be able to ban legal firearms on nature trails, in parks ect.

And you know some of those NE Indiana cities are going to be forced to change their Clinton era type gun and magazine bans.

I am 100% in favor of the 07-01-11 changes
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by j706 View Post
    I always thought it was kind of silly for a town/city council to be able to ban legal firearms on nature trails, in parks ect.
    I saw some chatter on one of the Star articles last week that claimed the "no weapons" policy of Indy Parks was being dropped as of July 1st. Can anyone confirm this?

LD45
    "Did you bring any Gold or Silver with you Mr. Chisum?..........No, just lead"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdawg45 View Post
    I saw some chatter on one of the Star articles last week that claimed the "no weapons" policy of Indy Parks was being dropped as of July 1st. Can anyone confirm this?

LD45
    I cannot but I do know the town where I work will have to revamp their anti gun, unenforced gun bans on all town owned property. I mean after all we don't have and have never had ANY problems with the citizens and their guns on city owned property. They just decided one day to pass the ordinance for some asinine reason.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Region Law View Post
    Has anyone else read the new law?

Senate Bill 506 (Public Law 164-2011)
    Authors: Tomes, Kruse
    Sponsor: VanNatter
    Citations Affected: IC 35-47
    Effective: July 1, 2011
    Handgun possession. Allows a person to carry a handgun without being licensed to carry a
    handgun if: (1) the person is in or on property, or in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or
    otherwise legally controlled by the person; (2) the person is lawfully present in or on private
    property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the
    person has the consent of the owner to have the handgun on the premises, is attending a firearms
    related event, or is receiving firearms related services; (3) the person is lawfully present in a
    vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person; (4) the
    person is carrying the handgun at a shooting range, while attending a firearms instructional
    course, or while engaged in a legal hunting activity; or (5) the handgun is unloaded and securely
    wrapped. (Current law provides that a person who does not possess a valid handgun license may
    not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body unless the person: (1) is in
    the person's dwelling or fixed place of business or on the person's property; or (2) is carrying the
    handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place where the handgun was purchased to
    the person's dwelling or fixed place of business, between a handgun repair shop and the person's
    dwelling or fixed place of business, or from one dwelling or fixed place of business to another.)
    Specifies that a person who has been convicted of domestic battery may not possess or carry a
    handgun unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored by a court.
    Last I heard it had passed committee, but had yet to pass the actual House to become a law.
    Last edited by PtlCop; 06-23-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by K40 View Post
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PtlCop View Post
    Last I heard it had passed committee, but had yet to pass the actual House to become a law.
    It was signed into law by the Governor on May 10.

Quote Originally Posted by PtlCop View Post
    It's law....just had legal update last week.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
    it" - Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by j706 View Post
    I think these are good common sense laws.
    There's your first mistake.
    Your mom...

Forum Member
    Ok now I need to be educated on this. I just went through a thread where officers were celebrating I think it was AZ passing a bill to allow citizens to carry concealed handguns without a permit. How are you guys excited about this kind of stuff? I would think police officers would prefer stricter gun laws since your jobs are dangerous enough...why would you want to possible put a gun on Mr. Joe Schmoe on one of those really bad days when he begins to make some poor decisions? Criminals will find guns if they want them, but there are a group of the population that won't unless you present it to them on a silver platter. Let's say these are honest citizens who have no criminal history. I'm sure you guys have seen those same citizens have one bad day and make some seriously poor choices, why arm that person? Please someone educate me.

Quote Originally Posted by sp23 View Post
    It's law....just had legal update last week.
    Yeah, the last update I got on it was several months ago where it was sitting in the House for their vote. We actually just got an e-mail on it today too.
    Quote Originally Posted by K40 View Post
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

The Star message boards are lit up this week with 3 different attacks on the Monon, and multiple people are quoting a July 1st date as being able to carry weapons in the Parks/Trails. Can someone from IMPD or Park Rangers confirm this?

LD45

Forum Member
    The Star message boards are lit up this week with 3 different attacks on the Monon, and multiple people are quoting a July 1st date as being able to carry weapons in the Parks/Trails. Can someone from IMPD or Park Rangers confirm this?
    As far as I know, they were talking about how the City of Indy's ordinance will be kaput once the new state law goes live on July 1st, 2011. In addition to the new law posted here, there is another law that specifically bars certain entities from banning lawful possession of handguns and/or firearms. The law is very detailed over what constitutes a municipality/governing body. It also list some exceptions: Municipal buildings with courtrooms are one. Monroe County government leaders have now created two new courts in two buildings that had none before. They admit this is because of the new law.

Here is text of this other new gun law:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/.../SE0292.1.html

IC 14-22-31.5-5
    Sec. 5. Except as specifically prohibited by this chapter and subject to IC 35-47-11.1, a local unit of government may regulate the location, use, operation, safety, and construction of a shooting range.

IC 35-47-1-2.5
    Sec. 2.5. "Ammunition", for purposes of IC 35-47-11.1, means:
    (1) fixed cartridge ammunition;
    (2) shotgun shells;
    (3) the individual components of fixed cartridge ammunition and shotgun shells;
    (4) projectiles for muzzle loading firearms; and
    (5) any propellant used in a firearm or in firearm ammunition.

IC 35-47-1-5.1
    Sec. 5.1. "Firearm accessory" means:
    (1) any device specifically adapted to enable:
    (A) the wearing or carrying about one's person; or
    (B) the storage or mounting in or on any conveyance;
    of a firearm; and
    (2) any attachment or device specifically adapted to be inserted into or affixed onto any firearm to enable, alter, or improve the functioning or capabilities of the firearm.

IC 35-47-11.1
    Chapter 11.1. Local Regulation of Firearms, Ammunition, and Firearm Accessories

Sec. 1. This chapter applies to a political subdivision (as defined in IC 3-5-2-38).

Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter;
    is void.

Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:

(1) A law enforcement agency of a political subdivision from enacting and enforcing regulations pertaining to firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories issued to or used by law enforcement officers in the course of their official duties.

(2) Subject to IC 34-28-7-2, an employer from regulating or prohibiting the employees of the employer from carrying firearms and ammunition in the course of the employee's official duties.

(3) A court or administrative law judge from hearing and resolving any case or controversy or issuing any opinion or order on a matter within the jurisdiction of the court or judge.

(4) The enactment or enforcement of generally applicable zoning or business ordinances that apply to firearms businesses to the same degree as other similar businesses. However, a provision of an ordinance that is designed or enforced to effectively restrict or prohibit the sale, purchase, transfer, manufacture, or display of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories that is otherwise lawful under the laws of this state is void. A unit (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23) may not use the unit's planning and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within a prescribed distance of any other type of commercial property or of school property or other educational property.

(5) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in any building that contains the courtroom of a circuit, superior, city, town, or small claims court. However, if a portion of the building is occupied by a residential tenant or private business, any provision restricting or prohibiting the possession of a firearm does not apply to the portion of the building that is occupied by the residential tenant or private business, or to common areas of the building used by a residential tenant or private business.

(6) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the intentional display of a firearm at a public meeting.

(7) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a public hospital corporation that contains a secure correctional health unit that is staffed by a law enforcement officer twenty-four (24) hours a day.

(8) The imposition of any restriction or condition placed on a person participating in:
    (A) a community corrections program (IC 11-12-1);
    (B) a forensic diversion program (IC 11-12-3.7); or
    (C) a pretrial diversion program (IC 33-39-1).

(9) The enforcement or prosecution of the offense of criminal recklessness (IC 35-42-2-2) involving the use of a firearm.

(10) For an event occurring on property leased from a political subdivision or municipal corporation by the promoter or organizer of the event:
    (A) the establishment, by the promoter or organizer, at the promoter's or organizer's own discretion, of rules of conduct or admission upon which attendance at or participation in the event is conditioned; or
    (B) the implementation or enforcement of the rules of conduct or admission described in clause (A) by a political subdivision or municipal corporation in connection with the event.

(11) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a hospital established and operated under IC 16-22-2 or IC 16-23.

(12) A unit from using the unit's planing and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school by a person having a business that did not sell firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school before April 1, 1994.

(13) A unit (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23) from enacting or enforcing a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a building owned or administered by the unit if:
    (A) metal detection devices are located at each public entrance to the building;
    (B) each public entrance to the building is staffed by at least one (1) law enforcement officer:
    (i) who has been adequately trained to conduct inspections of persons entering the building by use of metal detection devices and proper physical pat down searches; and
    (ii) when the building is open to the public; and
    (C) each:
    (i) individual who enters the building through the public entrance when the building is open to the public; and
    (ii) bag, package, and other container carried by the individual;
    is inspected by a law enforcement officer described in clause (B).
    However, except as provided in subdivision (5) concerning a building that contains a courtroom, a unit may not prohibit or restrict the possession of a handgun under this subdivision in a building owned or administered by the unit if the person who possesses the handgun has been issued a valid license to carry the handgun under IC 35-47-2.

Sec. 5., Sec. 6., and Sec. 7. I left out. They pretty much talk about what a person can do (basically file a lawsuit) if their rights are violated under the new law.

Here is some additional info related to the new law:

IC 3-5-2-38 "Political subdivision"
    Sec. 38. "Political subdivision" means a county, city, town, township, school corporation, public library, local housing authority, fire protection district, public transportation corporation, local building authority, local hospital authority or corporation, local airport authority, special service district, special taxing district, or other type of local governmental corporate entity.

IC 36-1-2-23 "Unit"
    Sec. 23. "Unit" means county, municipality, or township.
    Last edited by Dwntwn317; 06-25-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davanimo View Post
    Ok now I need to be educated on this. I just went through a thread where officers were celebrating I think it was AZ passing a bill to allow citizens to carry concealed handguns without a permit. How are you guys excited about this kind of stuff? I would think police officers would prefer stricter gun laws since your jobs are dangerous enough...why would you want to possible put a gun on Mr. Joe Schmoe on one of those really bad days when he begins to make some poor decisions? Criminals will find guns if they want them, but there are a group of the population that won't unless you present it to them on a silver platter. Let's say these are honest citizens who have no criminal history. I'm sure you guys have seen those same citizens have one bad day and make some seriously poor choices, why arm that person? Please someone educate me.
    Good lord not one of these. You have seven post's (just read them myself)and are basically just stirring the pot. Rank and file cops are not anti gun. We also are not pro dope head. Bye
    Last edited by j706; 06-25-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Forum Member
    Troll alert
    Last edited by j706; 06-25-2011 at 10:57 AM.

"These Are Private Forums for Law Enforcement. We Reserve the Right to Remove Non-LEO Members, Anti-LE or Inappropriate Posts and Users Without Warning."

Did you miss this at the top of every forum page?

LD45

Forum Member

Forum Member
    This is a perfect example of how out of touch with reality you are. Just because something makes perfect sense to you does not mean your feelings/thoughts on the subject are based in fantasy.

Forum Member
    Im a little confused by the "OR" unloaded and secured part. Does this mean a person without a LTCH can carry it loaded in their vehicle or another persons etc or does it have to be unloaded and secure in those circumstances?