Page 4 of 10 First 1234567 ... Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My struggles from tragedy

Civillian
    I saw pontiac online earlier. I sent him a PM.. no response. His activity said he was posting a reply to this thread, but he never did.

awaiting the mothership
    Quote Originally Posted by jannino View Post
    I saw pontiac online earlier. I sent him a PM.. no response. His activity said he was posting a reply to this thread, but he never did.
    A welfare check was done. PontiacGM agreed to go in for evaluation. the situation is under control at this point.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Forum Member
    A poster drew my attention to this thread-- I don't know how I have missed it for so long!

Pontiac, I would like to recommend you look into EMDR - a pretty new therapy for PTSD. I have been hearing a lot about it at chaplains conferences, because it is very fast and effective and is a good "fit" for many cops (where talking therapies sometimes are not).

Here is the URL to a site about EMDR, specifically to their page that helps you find a clinician:

http://www.emdr.com/find-a-clinician.html

I would be glad to discuss this more with you, and I have PM'd you my telephone number. I will be keeping you in my prayers.
    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
    A poster drew my attention to this thread-- I don't know how I have missed it for so long!

Pontiac, I would like to recommend you look into EMDR - a pretty new therapy for PTSD. I have been hearing a lot about it at chaplains conferences, because it is very fast and effective and is a good "fit" for many cops (where talking therapies sometimes are not).

Here is the URL to a site about EMDR, specifically to their page that helps you find a clinician:

http://www.emdr.com/find-a-clinician.html

I would be glad to discuss this more with you, and I have PM'd you my telephone number. I will be keeping you in my prayers.
    I've heard this too, Chaplain Keppy.....of it working for soldiers. Pontiac, if you're reading this, it may be a better fit for you.

Civillian
    My understanding is that he has been taken in for an evaluation. He won't be on for awhile. I wish him nothing but the best

forum member
    Good job Stitch and the others who were involved.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    I am hoping he will come back here when he can, though.

And I would like to say good job to all of you who have been such a good supportive, listening ear over these months-- and good job to whoever took action to help him get the evaluation. My prayer is that this will lead to more resources for his healing.

It makes me angry that he has had so little support from his department, and that the lawsuit ended as it did!

forum member
    I am hoping he will come back here when he can, though.

And I would like to say good job to all of you who have been such a good supportive, listening ear over these months-- and good job to whoever took action to help him get the evaluation. My prayer is that this will lead to more resources for his healing.

It makes me angry that he has had so little support from his department, and that the lawsuit ended as it did!
    Anyone who is injured on the job and is fighting workmans comp is usually shot to the curb by their dept. Most don't know what to say...or say something stupid....but as for support......zilch.... BTDT!
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    I've been surprised at how often I have seen or heard of that happening in the decade I have been a police chaplain.

I do not understand it. I understand people being awkward and not knowing what to say-- but for the agency to act like a person never existed, or to resist getting them help-- well, I just do NOT understand that. It seems immoral to me, and unnecessary.

Forum Member
    The thing that suprises me is that the agencies fight paying for medical care or therapy.

It surprises me that workman's comp seems to have a goal of NOT helping the patients rather than helping them.

It surprises me that an agency with a wounded officer is not more supportive of that officer in material ways, let alone to have the common decency to call occasionally and ask how it is going with the officer.

I'm talking about "official" concern at the moment, not about co-workers as individuals.

Forum Member
    It surprises me that Pontiac's agency didn't put all its weight behind prosecuting that prisoner to the fullest extent of the law.

By not doing that, they not only hung Pontiac out to dry, they demonstrated to ALL their officers that when the SHTF, the officers will be on their own.

No wonder Pontiac keeps replaying the incident over and over-- the assault is not yet over!

forum member
    I've been surprised at how often I have seen or heard of that happening in the decade I have been a police chaplain.

I do not understand it. I understand people being awkward and not knowing what to say-- but for the agency to act like a person never existed, or to resist getting them help-- well, I just do NOT understand that. It seems immoral to me, and unnecessary.
    You are just a number....and you can be replaced.

Lifetime medical is huge..........they usually prescribe unlimited medication to mask the pain and won't authorize medical appts to help. They get you so hooked on drugs...you can't see straight or make a decision...not to mention the reality of dealing with a career ending injury. ACCOM guidelines were revamped by non other than Arnold POS Schwarzenegger...what is basically means is...if it doesn't cure the problem..you aren't going to receive it. DX1 waited 14 months to get a follow up appt.....and that is with a w/c lawyer. They basically try to starve you out...4850 pay only lasts one year...LTD kicks in within a certain time...if you know to activate it. But realistically...they throw you under the bus.

We could have made more money selling the oxy's on the street.

Yes you take the oath to protect and serve the public.................when you get hurt...trust me...they turn their backs faster than you can blink.

Forum Member
    And that is what surprises me, Dx2.

There IS "blue brotherhood" between officers, but often NOT institutionally speaking.

As I say, it seems to me a shame, an injustice, and unnecessary.

forum member
    Look what they did to sistah Pyxie? Shot on duty during the FTO. She has a warning to all entering this line of work in her "leaving leo" thread.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...uty&highlight=

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...leo&highlight=

Forum Member
    This, incidentally, is one of the reasons officers should work hard to make their family their number one priority. If you are injured, or when you retire, it is (for the agency) as though you had never existed. You want your family to be part of your life as long as you have life.

What a bitter thing, for someone to let their family life die on the vine, neglected for their work, and then have their work place discard them when they are no longer of use.

Sorry, I do not mean to hijack Pontiac's thread! But this betrayal by the agency is part of the pain that I hear in this thread.

forum member
    This, incidentally, is one of the reasons officers should work hard to make their family their number one priority. If you are injured, or when you retire, it is (for the agency) as though you had never existed. You want your family to be part of your life as long as you have life.

What a bitter thing, for someone to let their family life die on the vine, neglected for their work, and then have their work place discard them when they are no longer of use.

Sorry, I do not mean to hijack Pontiac's thread! But this betrayal by the agency is part of the pain that I hear in this thread.
    Family ALWAYS comes first....

Some get caught up in work work work and neglect their family...some end up getting divorced or were never around to see the kids grow. After awhile the Mrs will get frustrated and you get yourself in a pickle.

Every dept has them.......................work until way after they are eligible for retirement but won't because they don't have anything to go home to.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    Look what they did to sistah Pyxie? Shot on duty during the FTO. She has a warning to all entering this line of work in her "leaving leo" thread.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...uty&highlight=

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...leo&highlight=
    Thanks for posting that, Dx2. That is a great example of what I am talking about.

To me, it is an issue of justice: if communities are going to ask members to lay their lives and health on the line to protect the community, those communities ought to back those members up when it hits the fan.

It is only right.

forum member
    Thanks for posting that, Dx2. That is a great example of what I am talking about.

To me, it is an issue of justice: if communities are going to ask members to lay their lives and health on the line to protect the community, those communities ought to back those members up when it hits the fan.

It is only right.
    Not going to happen....especially in Caleee where they publish monthly the salaries of public safety officers. Civillians think we make too much already...and to recieve 50% of your salary tax free.....sends them thru the roof.

Forum Member
    Someone-- some really good author/journalist-- needs to write up the situations of these officers and their families, and SHAME these communities into rethinking their policies.

There are times when we SHOULD feel guilty, and this is one of them.

Civillian
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    Family ALWAYS comes first....

Some get caught up in work work work and neglect their family...some end up getting divorced or were never around to see the kids grow. After awhile the Mrs will get frustrated and you get yourself in a pickle.
    This is so true. You never know when you might lose them.

Civilian Sheepdog
    My first W/C claim went through with flying colors. They took fantastic care of me. My second time around with a different company they sent me to an incompetent doc. The SOB ignored what I said and tried to treat my injury as a spinal injury. I told the SOB doc it was soft tissue, IT IS NOT SPINAL. He wouldn't listen. W/C listened to IDIOT doc and left me out to dry.

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

awaiting the mothership

Ladies and Gentlemen please refrain

Let's not hijack this thread. This is for Pontiac to touch base and connect with us.

I understand there is a lot of pain and disappointment, and we need to do our part to take better care of the first responders who take care of us.

Feel free to start another thread to discuss this issue.

I would challenge everyone reading this thread to be PROACTIVE in showing kindness and compassion toward any LEO who is falling through the cracks of the system. It's easy to get angry, but we must use the anger constructively.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Forum Member
    Pontiac is now listed as a guest instead of a member. Anyone know what is happening?

Civilian Sheepdog
    Pontiac is now listed as a guest instead of a member. Anyone know what is happening?
    What's the deal??? FRANK!?!?!?!???????

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Forum Member

Hey Pontiac, Most of what I have to say has already been said here....so I'll leave it at wishing you the best of luck. You can of course PM me(if possible) if you wish to talk or anything.
    Yeah. That would go poorly. Like, on the Scale of Fail, somewhere between "Titanic" and "Chernobyl."
    --Squirrel

Page 4 of 10 First 1234567 ... Last