Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Post Call 911 if pulled over?

There were several times people talked about getting pulled over and not knowing if the person is a law enforcement officer. I advise to call 911 and ask the operator to confirm that the person is LEO; every driver should do this when getting pulled over. If there is no phone, go to well lite populated area such as a grocery store parking lot or right lane a few hundred feet past a busy traffic signal (this will block traffic so use cell phone if you have one). Seems there are more incidents of folks pretending to be police when they are in fact not. Maybe this is something that has always gone on and folks are becoming more aware thanks to cell phones, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Here is a link found on a local news site:

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...king-cops.html

From an LEO point of view, what should a driver do when getting prompted to pull over?

Barefoot Ninja
    If its obviously a police car, pull over. Whackers may have one or two small flashing lights, but never a light bar, never a fully marked squad, and never work in pairs or more. A little common sense goes a LONG way in these situations. To suggest that EVERYONE should call 911 EVERYTIME they get pulled over is ridiculous.

The problem with calling 911 is that the dispatcher may not know if its a real police officer or not. For example, where I work, the state patrol is on their own (secure) channel and don't talk to our dispatch. If you're getting stopped by a trooper and call 911, they'll tell you that none of their officers are making a stop. If you legitimately doubt you're being pulled over by the real thing, by all means call 911. Just don't do anything stupid. Also, if you don't stop and its the real deal, be ready to get in more trouble than you started with.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

NOT banned
    [QUOTE=herbigharo32;2785859]From an LEO point of view, what should a driver do when getting prompted to pull over?[/QUOTE]

pull over
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    pull over
    +10000
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by herbigharo32 View Post

From an LEO point of view, what should a driver do when getting prompted to pull over?
    Pull your wiener out of your pants and hit the steering wheel with it. Then put your left foot out of the window and shake it vigorously. Finally after you hear sirens and see a lot of police cars behind you find a tree and crash into it.

Or

Just pull the **** over.
    Certified troll.

Forum Member

If you don't pull over immediately, you can almost guarantee yourself a citation. I'm getting sick of this. I don't know if you are some old lady who is just scared or some thug who is buying time while he finds the gun under his seat.

If you are in rural Missouri on a dark road, I might be more understanding.

But my city is completely urban and every single road his very well lit. If I light you up, you best pull over. If I want you to stop in a parking lot, I will direct to the parking lot. I run this show, not you.
    Last edited by Dingo990; 06-13-2011 at 10:02 PM.

"Livin' the dream..."
    Pull over, car in "PARK", engine off, window(s) down, and keep your hands visable - preferably on the wheel.

Do everything the kind officer asks of you.
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people f@ck, then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Salty Dog

Who the hell is the OP to advise people on what to do? He's obviously not an LEO.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

forum member
    9-1-1 is for an emergency. Being pulled over does not constitute an emergency. Dialing 9-1-1 from a cell phone doesn't always get you the police jurisidiction you are in.

How about drive in a manner under your states DMV guidelines and you don't have to worry if da po po behind you is really the po po!

Besides..if you are on the phone when I walk up to your window...the first thing you are going to hear is...."get off the phone"!
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member

Did anyone look at that web link? Those cars owned by a real security company (none LEO) looks almost identical to police cruisers.

victis honor
    Quote Originally Posted by OperatorEX View Post
    After all is said and done I will understand your actions and you better accept my tactical and maybe aggressive responses to them. I will die old and gray...not on a traffic stop.

^^^^ well said

OP read and heed!
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Forum Member

Did anyone look at that web link? Those cars owned by a real security company (none LEO) looks almost identical to police cruisers.
    Then if you see one of those trying to pull you over, then call 911.

Forum Member

Did you come to ask, or did you come to argue? The crap you're posting from equally ignorant friends/other people is what will get motorists and officers hurt. Pull the phuc over. It really IS that simple.

Forum Member
    It's not uncommon for security companies to have old crown vics or other left over LE vehicles. They're cheap to buy. I guarantee they don't have LE colors. As my counterparts I believe it's a common sense issue. If you have a vehicle with green lights trying to pull you over, call 911. If you have a marked vehicle or unmarked with thousands of dollars and blue lights, siren, and uniformed officer(s) occupying it, I strongly suggest you pull over. If you don't be ready to be treated a tad differently.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Forum Member
    If the officer scares me I just keep driving. I get scared by da po-leeeeece a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Deputy Sheriff
    Man. Not this freaking topic again. Sheesh.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by FJDave View Post
    If the officer scares me I just keep driving. I get scared by da po-leeeeece a lot.
    Dammmit Dave..............I just cleaned my keyboard. Now I have to dry it off again.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Security vehicles done't have red and blue lights....they have yellow lights....use some common sense...if you don't pull over when I light you up you'll be lucky I don't book you into jail for felony flight.

Forum Member

HotSoup,

Check out Hilton Head Island, SC. They have security that carries guns, runs radar and laser, and drives marked security vehicles with blue lights. Got to be careful about what you say.

They also have the legal authority to pull you over and write you a ticket although they are security. This goes against the whole idea of 911 being able to tell you who's pulling you over.
    Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtlCop View Post
    HotSoup,

Check out Hilton Head Island, SC. They have security that carries guns, runs radar and laser, and drives marked security vehicles with blue lights. Got to be careful about what you say.

They also have the legal authority to pull you over and write you a ticket although they are security. This goes against the whole idea of 911 being able to tell you who's pulling you over.
    You're right AtlCop....I was speaking just for Arizona...dont' know of any security here that uses anything other then yellow lights....and I've heard of Hilton Head Island...from what I remember they don't have an actual police dept and I think (althought I could be wrong) that they're post certified???? If anyone has info on this and I'm wrong please correct me.

Forum Member

Yes. The security officers are all certified by South Carolina. They are basically "Resort Area" police. The private resorts there are like small cities with their own security forces that have police powers. Their vehicles say "security" or "patrol" but they will pull you over and write you tickets. They also make arrests.
    Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

What's a B Boy?
    Pull over immediately, or it's going to be a rough day for you. I will cite anyone for the infraction prompting the stop with this rediculous mindset. Maybe a ticket and court date might prove I am a real officer?? Just to be sure, I advise anyone to call the courts and make sure it's a real ticket. There are a lot of papers out there pretending to be tickets when they are in fact not.

Forum Member
    There's always going to be a rare exception to the rule (such as the South Carolina resort folks). For the most part though, security vehicles DO NOT have LEO-colored lights. I'm sure one thing the judge/courts will consider is the common and accepted practice in their jurisdiction. The metro PD in my area has completely unmarked vehicles for their aggressive driving unit and their undercover gang/CSU guys. Although their vehicles may not be common LE cars (impalas, CVs, etc), they have thousands of dollars of lights and the officers will either be in uniform or have highly visible clothing with the word POLICE on it. I believe this is a "totality of circumstances" approach. If you've been in the field long enough, you will know a majority of those who throw the "didn't know you were a cop" phrase are full of shiite.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Forum Member
    One of our news channels actually ran a piece on this and suggested people do what the OP said!!! Morons!!!

I had a motorist do this and call his mom in NJ and she told him to keep driving until he was in a well lit area... I work in a rural area so good luck with that.

What's a B Boy?
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayPatriot View Post
    I work in a rural area so good luck with that.
    Me too. The Police presence will multiply and you will be FORCED to stop where I am. It's miles and miles in some spots if you want to drive to a well lit area. Maybe after the OP is stopped and I am dragging him out through his window he will realize his advice is retarded.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last