Sheepdog

Possible 2010 Charger Issue

Started to see more "chatter" about this possible design flaw found in 2010 Dodge Charger "Pursuit Package" vehicles. Both about exhaust fumes leaking into the cabin and this little number:

Back in March, a rural Oregon sheriff's department lost its newest police-spec Dodge Charger "Pursuit" when it caught fire after 6,000 miles. Turns out Chrysler was willing to provide a new one for free — for just a nondisclosure form.

Curry County Sheriff John Bishop told the Curry County Pilot that after the fire, Chrysler was willing to provide the county with a new cruiser with all of the police equipment that the county lost in the vehicle.

The cruiser caught fire while parked while a deputy responded to a search and rescue call; the deputy was able to grab a few items, but the fire moved too quickly for him to extinguish. Bishop said the fire appeared to start in the passenger-side rear wheel well, and the office suspected the brake or fuel line was involved, because the fire kept reigniting after it was doused.

As for the confidential agreement, Bishop said it was "just a standard deal." Of course, there's nothing that prevents the sheriff from reporting the incident to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which has no complaints of burning Dodge Chargers on file, but at least three complaints involving problems with police-interceptor editions.

Photo: Curry County Pilot

Keep alert for these type of things. We had a 2006 Impala catch fire and the officer driving didn't know. Luckily another officer noticed it as he drove away and let him know.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

jakflak
    I'm no mechanic, but based on those photos I'd say you should have it checked out before driving it again.

Forum Member

^^^^ I agree. That probably won't buff out.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTShooter View Post
    Keep alert for these type of things. We had a 2006 Impala catch fire and the officer driving didn't know. Luckily another officer noticed it as he drove away and let him know.
    And a 2004 Intrepid. And a 2002 Crown Vic. I'm sure the list goes on. The NDA thing is particularly worrisome though.

OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
    This thread could also be called "Possible (insert year) (insert police vehicle model name) Issue"
    Quote Originally Posted by K40 View Post
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Forum Member

I believe the FBI already examined the causes of those fires and determined. "That's what happens when you buy a Dodge."

But in all seriousness; my 2007 Charger has more issues then I can list. True, she has 70,000 on the clock; but the unit is essentially falling apart.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irish21 View Post
    I believe the FBI already examined the causes of those fires and determined. "That's what happens when you buy a Dodge."

But in all seriousness; my 2007 Charger has more issues then I can list. True, she has 70,000 on the clock; but the unit is essentially falling apart.
    Same with ours. IMO they are JUNK. I was issued a new charger in 07. I drove the thing for about six months, turned it in and got a pool car (05 CV) When I first got mine I kinda liked it because it is a different animal from the CV. But that changed fast. I hated that car with a passion. All of ours have had major electrical problems as well as front end suspension components. We have had four of ours that the fan blades blew apart destroying the radiators. Our brass has said they would not buy a Dodge product again if they were 1/2 the price of any other product. We are getting ready to take delivery of our new fleet anytime now. They are 2011 Caprice PPV. I am hoping they will be GTG. In my experience GM knows how to make a cruiser.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Sheepdog
    We are pretty much stuck with the Chargers right now. There was a little snafu with Ford and our city a while back, so that limits our choices, and I haven't seen any new Impalas yet.

I heard that our department may test out 10 of the carbon motors cars, but they'll never make it to my neck of the woods and I'll certainly never drive one.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

MCLMM
    Lots of police vehicle fires are the result of **** poor police equipment out fitters. I have seen one horrible wiring jobs since I came on the job. Some departments do this inhouse and that usually ends badly.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." -Ernest Hemingway

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1AssToRisk View Post
    Lots of police vehicle fires are the result of **** poor police equipment out fitters. I have seen one horrible wiring jobs since I came on the job. Some departments do this inhouse and that usually ends badly.

We have a large "shop" that handles all city vehicles, dump trucks, regular vehicles and squads. They do a great job and we've never had any problems. I think we have 400-500 squads, maybe more.