Forum Member

Tinted Tail lights Texas

I recently tinted my tail lights on my car, and they came out a good bit darker than expected. I'm willing to strip the tint off and re-do them, but I wanted some first hand opinions before I went that route.

I have not been pulled over or received a ticket yet.

My question is, are these too dark? They transmit light and all, I just don't want to risk getting a ticket.

I know the determination of "too dark" is purely discretion on behalf of the officer.
    Would you give me a ticket if you saw these? (I'm not contesting the justification of giving a ticket, just if you would give me one or not.)

All help is appreciated.

(--GOD--)
    Any level darker than what came from the factory is illegal, can be ticketed and towed.

Not to mention if you get hit in the rear at night you will open yourself up to civil and criminal liability for altering them.

Forum Member

Without checking Texas Motor Vehicle Laws, I'll tell you this. You made an alteration to factory installed tail lights. As delivered from the factory, your vehicle met all applicable Federal DOT and Texas standards. Your modifications changed that. I suggest you completely remove the tint, and restore your lights to their previous condition. Failure to do so will subject you to equipment violation citations.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipCal View Post
    Without checking Texas Motor Vehicle Laws, I'll tell you this. You made an alteration to factory installed tail lights. As delivered from the factory, your vehicle met all applicable Federal DOT and Texas standards. Your modifications changed that. I suggest you completely remove the tint, and restore your lights to their previous condition. Failure to do so will subject you to equipment violation citations.

I've already arranged to change out the tail lights. I'll just have to try not to draw attention to myself while driving around in the mean time.

I have a friend who has the same car as me, and he offered to trade me his factory tail lights plus cash.

I'll let them be his problem if he gets a ticket.

The more I thought about it and the more I looked at them, I realized I didn't like them (at least not that dark)

Forum Member
    Im seeing the tinted tail lights more and more lately. Ive never understood the desire to make it harder for someone to see you braking or to see you at night with your tail lights on. Guess Im just too old to be hip and cool like that

Forum Member

Though actually making a traffic stop for this violation, or issuing a citation, warning, or repair order for it, may be at the officers discretion, the level of "darkness" or "tint" on the lenses is not. The lights have to be visible for a certain distance when illuminated at night. Theses distances vary depending on whether or not the stop lamps are activated. They also have to reflect a red light when illuminated by another vehicle's head lamps at a certain distance. I don't know the distances from state to state, but I'm fairly certain they are all about the same as they all come from DOT regs and CFRs. Pretty much ANYTHING you do to alter a vehicle from OEM is a violation. In fact many after market parts will say "For off-road use" or "Exhibition use only" in minuscule print right on the box. Its too bad because that looks pretty good. What kind of car is that? At first glance I thought that was a G35 or an Altima coupe, but upon closer inspection I'm guessing a Hyundai Genesis Coupe (L/R wheel looks like Hyundai's "H").
    Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
    To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Forum Member

LOVE stopping these. Citation every single time.

Forum Member

In WA, anything that diminishes the effectiveness of factory lighting is a traffic infraction. It doesn't matter if the brake light is still visible from the requisite 500 feet.

Brian22, if you're still reading this thread, I'm wondering if you would consider answering Fuzz's question.

Also, if you sell your tinted lights to a friend and that friend gets in an accident that is directly attributed to the tinted lights... I would think you could be named in any civil lawsuit. Just something to consider.

Forum Member

Just a note to the OP. Not all aftermarket equipment is illegal, but you have to be very, very careful. Don't purchase an item of equipment simply because the guy behind the counter says it's legal. He won't be there when you're getting a citation, or watching your car at the end of a wrecker. In purchasing any item of aftermarket equipment, be certain it has a Federal DOT number on it. If it doesn't, believe me, you don't want it.

(--GOD--)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Soviet View Post
    Just to answer Fuzz's question, the reason many people put on tinted headlamps or tinted taillights is for "individuality". They are trying to make their car look unique and stand out from the crowd, making themselves look unique and cool. At least, that's their reasoning.

There really isn't any other reason why someone would do that. Hope that helps.
    Why are you answering in the "Ask A Cop" section...you know your not allowed to and have been warned about it before.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Just to answer Fuzz's question, the reason many people put on tinted headlamps or tinted taillights is for "individuality". They are trying to make their car look unique and stand out from the crowd, making themselves look unique and cool. At least, that's their reasoning.

You cannot have individuality when everyone is doing the same thing. Pretty soon, the only one that stands out in a crowd is the guy who complies with the law or accepts things as they are to be!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Half Way to AARP
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin Statutes
    347.13 Tail lamps and registration plate lamps. (1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle, mobile home or trailer or semitrailer upon a highway during hours of darkness unless such motor vehicle, mobile home or trailer or semitrailer is equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear which, when lighted during hours of darkness, emits a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear. No tail lamp shall have any type of decorative covering that restricts the amount of light emitted when the tail lamp is in use. No vehicle originally equipped at the time of manufacture and sale with 2 tail lamps shall be operated upon a highway during hours of darkness unless both such lamps are in good working order. This subsection does not apply to any type of decorative covering originally equipped on the vehicle at the time of manufacture and sale.
    Food for thought for the OP. Do I cite for it? It depends.

Forum Member

Hey Stupid, you're not even supposed to be posting here. Guess the rules don't apply to "It's all about me" trolls, clowns, and arrogant tools. Your violation of forum policy will be reported.

Sheepdog
    In TEXAS, you're illegal if your tail lights are not visible per a certain footage pr you do not have any reflectors in place to substitute the "reflectiveness" of said tail lights.

As far as citing, no, I wouldn't, but you'd get pulled over and from there.......
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Forum Member
    JTShooter is correct its 1000' day or night. I cite for it all the time. Some times at night it looks like they are drivng with no lights until i get within 100' of them.

Sec. 547.322. TAILLAMPS REQUIRED.
    (a) Except as provided by Subsection
    (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle that is towed at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with at least two taillamps.
    (b) A passenger car or truck that was manufactured or assembled before the model year 1960 shall be equipped with at least one taillamp.
    (c) Taillamps shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle:
    (1) at a height from 15 to 72 inches; and
    (2) at the same level and spaced as widely apart as practicable if a vehicle is equipped with more than one lamp.
    (d) A taillamp shall emit a red light plainly visible at a distance of 1,000 feet from the rear of the vehicle.
    (e) If vehicles are traveling in combination, only the taillamps on the rearmost vehicle are required to emit a light for the distance specified in Subsection (d).
    (f) A taillamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and mounted to emit a white light that:
    (1) illuminates the rear license plate; and
    (2) makes the plate clearly legible at a distance of 50 feet from the rear.
    (g) A taillamp, including a separate lamp used to illuminate a rear license plate, must emit a light when a headlamp or auxiliary driving lamp is lighted.
    "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Forum Member

To answer everyone's questions and comments. I stripped off the tint when I got home from work today.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird543 View Post
    What kind of car is that? At first glance I thought that was a G35 or an Altima coupe, but upon closer inspection I'm guessing a Hyundai Genesis Coupe (L/R wheel looks like Hyundai's "H").
    It is a Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Good guess BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    Im seeing the tinted tail lights more and more lately. Ive never understood the desire to make it harder for someone to see you braking or to see you at night with your tail lights on. Guess Im just too old to be hip and cool like that
    It was purely aesthetics. I didn't intend for them to be even remotely as dark as they were though.

Quote Originally Posted by hopperja View Post
    Also, if you sell your tinted lights to a friend and that friend gets in an accident that is directly attributed to the tinted lights... I would think you could be named in any civil lawsuit. Just something to consider.
    This was the deciding factor for me to strip the tint off the tail lights. I'm not worried about my name coming up in a civil suit, as my friend knew full well that they would not have the same light output as a factory tail light (daylight visibility was pretty bad)

It was more of a moral decision for me. I don't want anyone getting in a wreck period because someone couldn't see their brake lights. Or getting a ticket for that matter.

i'm not drink osficer!
    I have noticed alot of the after market "Smoked" lights don't have reflectors....
    Also § 547.325. Reflectors Required.

Statute text
    (a) Except as provided by Subchapter F, a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer shall be equipped with at least two red reflectors on the rear of the vehicle. A red reflector may be included as a part of a taillamp.
    (b) A reflector shall be:
    (1) mounted at a height from 15 to 60 inches; and
    (2) visible at night at all distances:
    (A) from 100 to 600 feet when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps; or
    (B) from 100 to 350 feet when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps if the vehicle was manufactured or assembled before January 1, 1972.
    Thanks,
    Klint