Forum Member

How does credit affect hiring?

I'm wondering how having a debt of $700 in collections already reported to my credit affect me in getting hired either by Florida HP or city police. I don't know what my credit will be after it's reported but before that I had between 700-750 credit score. (I know that no one can predict my credit score but if it will be a big red flag.) Aside from my credit, I fulfill all the necessary requirements.

If this will greatly affect my hiring opportunities I'll make the payment before its reported but otherwise I was going to pay it in the next 2 months just because my income is tight right now.

It's Complicated
    It will not be a "positive" in your favor.

Your credit score doesn't matter...........................what matters is if you have any bad debts , debts in collections, or a history of having problems paying your bills on time.

Bad credit history is looked at as not being responsible. Police administrators want to hire individuals who are responsible.

Get your bills paid, or at least be paying on them before you apply for any law enforcement job---------------and expect to have your history questioned multiple times during the hiring process.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

1603 hit it on the head. You better have a really good reason why you didn't pay it or it will affect you negatively.

Covman

Forum Member

Debts which have been charged off, or have gone to collections are most often, a major red flag. While I certainly can't speak for the Florida Highway Patrol, I can assure you a debt in collections will be a problem. Departments are concerned with how applicants handle debt, and consider it an indicator of responsibility. Certainly, the current, and still poor economy has adversely effected many people's debt situation. Still, it will be incumbent on you to fully address, as in pay, not only the debt in collections, but to properly service all of your debts. Please understand that indebtedness itself is not an issue with departments. What is of critical importance, and I can't emphasize this enough, is how you are handling your debts at the time you apply. As has been noted, you can expect to be quizzed quite closely on the debt sent to collections. Get that issue resolved ASAP, and be totally forthcoming as to the circumstances surrounding it. Don't rationalize, minimize, or justify any errors in judgment which led to the situation. You own the debt, you own the responsibility for it. Hope things work out for you.

Forum Member

followup question to original post....

Let's say you're DQ'd for credit history reasons. Mostly collections and charge offs. If you're able to pay them off and even get the creditor to delete them from your history (not BK), how much time do you think is necessary to rebuild? I'm sure they have access to your previously submitted credit report. If you return 6-12 mos later with a new report, all those accounts are gone, and an active current account for those 6-12 mos, will it be good enough to at least move past that part of your background? Is that enough time to redeem that aspect of your character as they view it?

Thanks

It's Complicated
    Normally if you can show that you have "become" responsible............and are working toward repairing your credit......you will be view as more responsible.

Then it is going to be a matter of who is the most viable candidate..................you or the other guy.

THAT is going to be a decision made by the people that get paid the big bucks.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

I have ongoing medical issues. I have worked in law enforcement for almost 20 years. I show up every 8 weeks at the infusion center and take a medication that costs 20,000.00 every year. In addition to that every few years I end up in the hospital and get a nice big bill. I am never 100% paid up. I always get paid up but sometimes it takes 18 months. Every now and then I have ended up at a collection agency when I haven't paid the minimum fast enough. Now have there been times when I did things for fun. Yep. Could I have put that 300.00 I spent on my 20 year old motorcycle towards a bill. Yep. I would die if I didn't do that sometimes. It sucks but that's life. If I was looking for a new job and anybody busted my ... I wouldn't take it to kindly. I've worked 2 jobs most of the time, put myself through college, raised three kids one of them is still at home, maintained my home, and served my community. I could take disability if I wanted to but I have always worked and I will always work. I would expect my background investigators to be fair and look at the whole picture. If not they can kiss my *** and I take my 20 years elsewhere.

Forum Member

I stupidly trusted a family member. I'm in the hiring process. They let a bill get to 1600 and go to collection. Does this get me dq'd? They already went through my credit report once.

L-1
    Forum Member
    If you cosigned for someone and they failed to pay, then their debt becomes your debt.

No doubt the owner of the debt contacted you at some point when you relative fell behind and notified you as to what you jointly owed. The fact that you as a cosigner have not made good on what is now your debt suggest financial irresponsibility on your part and can seriously hurt if not DQ you on the background.

If I wanted to try and clean up my background, I would pay the debt and sue my relative to recover what they owe.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Forum Member

Florida Highway Patrol is kinda fussy about good credit....
    However, if you clean up your credit and at least catch up the debt, at least there won't be a current delinquency on your credit report.
    Each dept is going to have varying standards for how important they consider financial history, and it also depends on you individually. If you have other blemishes in your history, the financial aspect might be just enough to keep you from progressing in the hiring process.

Forum Member

I can tell you from my experience with FHP during the hiring process, bad credit isn't a absolute deal breaker, but any debts that have reached a collection agency must be taken care of prior to applying. You must bring your FHP recruiter a letter from the debt collector or business showing that you have paid for the debt in full or you have made payment arrangements to clear up the debt.

Recently, several Troopers have told me that FHP is in desperate need of recruits, so the hiring process might be more lax than what it once was.

As far as police agencies go, every one is different when it comes to credit. From what I've gathered it appears that smaller agencies seem to be more forgiving of credit blemishes than large accredited agencies. Get your credit taken care of and you don't have to worry about these issues!

police officer (rookie)

My department didn't care about my credit, but I work in a hospital and not for the city.
    My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.