Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Your Favorite Equipment

Out of all the equipment you have had to purchase for yourself, what brands have you found to be the most functional and durable? (ex: boots, shoes, flashlight, etc.)

The majority of my gear will be supplied by the department, but I have been looking at different brands of boots and flashlights searching for the best. Would Bates be worth a purchase? I have seen them at a few stores, but I am not sure how well they will break in.

Thanks in advance guys!

Forum Member

I have Hax boots... they were pretty expensive, about 200 bucks I believe, but I like the style of the boot and it polish's well. I've had them about three years now, I'm due for a new pair.

Sheepdog
    Bates are okay. It appears to be what a majority of officers wear. I wear converse boots though.

As far as duty gear, I've never had any issues with Safariland and 5.11 stuff.

The only gear I refuse to ever buy/own is Blackhawk or Uncle Mikes.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Forum Member
    Also, what about leather gloves? When I road along with Fort Worth it seemed like their officers used a wide range of gloves from under armor to plain black leather.

I like to be an informed shopper before I plunk down the money. I prefer paying extra fir higher quality as well.

Forum Member

Danner have been hands down the best pair of boots I have ever owned. Went from Magnums which sucked, to 5.11 that lasted less than a year a pair to Danner which have gone on 2 years now and about to reach the need to have them resoled, still look almost new.

As far as flashlights, were issued the standard streamlight which is fine for working nights. When working during daylight hours I use a surefire G2, hasnt let me down yet.
    Last edited by Crimy; 05-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Forum Member
    For boots you can't go wrong with Danner. I've owned Bates, Magnum, 5.11, and Oakley. I never really liked any them. They either were not comfortable or didn't last. Now that I have Danner I don't think I will ever buy anything else.

The gloves I use are Franklin Second Skinz. I've tried a few differant brands of gloves and these seem to be the best overall for me.

I carry two flashlights. I use the Pelican 7060 as a primary and a Streamlight Strion LED as a backup. I love both lights. I also have a Streamlight Stylus for SFST's at night.

Part-time ninja

Our department issues a big ole' maglight (Which I have never used) and a Streamlight LED light for your belt (Which I never use either.) I purchased a Streamlight Strion like 3441 and use that as my primary. It's super bright, very small and it's rechargeable.. Well worth the money.. Go get it..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3441 View Post
    For boots you can't go wrong with Danner. I've owned Bates, Magnum, 5.11, and Oakley. I never really liked any them. They either were not comfortable or didn't last. Now that I have Danner I don't think I will ever buy anything else.

The gloves I use are Franklin Second Skinz. I've tried a few differant brands of gloves and these seem to be the best overall for me.

I carry two flashlights. I use the Pelican 7060 as a primary and a Streamlight Strion LED as a backup. I love both lights. I also have a Streamlight Stylus for SFST's at night.
    +1 on the boots. Owned just about every one mentioned here and love the Danners. Liked the Oakleys, but they just don't last. Like my Streamlight Stinger LED over the other non LED lights that we are issued. A good seat organizer will help too.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Oakley boots, Kershaw knife, Safariland leather gear for most part/few bianchi items mixed in, Streamlight Strion LED on belt and Streamlight Stinger LED in bag, Ringers and Oakley gloves, by far best purchase was Hawk lapel mic...I hate hate hate the regular lapel mic that clips to your shoulder or wherever
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by usmcrob View Post
    +1 on the boots. Owned just about every one mentioned here and love the Danners. Liked the Oakleys, but they just don't last. Like my Streamlight Stinger LED over the other non LED lights that we are issued. A good seat organizer will help too.
    Another vote for Danners...only patrol boot I will wear. I like the Oakley's for overtime details that entail long hours on my feet like traffic control, etc. They are very light and comfortable and much easier on the feet vs a patrol boot.

I'm not real picky on my gloves...I actually wear automotive gloves that I purchase at a local automotive store. I go through a pair every couple months due to bodily fluids and other crap I get on it.

I wear Underarmor shirts under my body armor. I have tried various "breathable" under shirts like Adidas, Nike, etc and always come back to the Underarmor. They breath well, keep me as cool as possible, and are slick thus when I do sweat, my undershirt doesn't bind on my chest.

My favorite piece of equipment has to be my iPod and iRiver FM transmitter!! I am a huge music fan and always have it on while working. I load up the iPod with my favorite tunes, put it on shuffle, and away I go. For people with smart phones, the Pandora app is my favorite music app for the phone. I listen to Pandora via my Droid X and my FM transmitter if I get bored with my iPod. I also listen to podcasts and use Google Listen via my Droid X. Stream all podcasts through my FM transmitter just like my music. Prior to getting my dog, when I had a gang banger in my back seat, I loved cranking up some country music. Guys that were cursing me out would get a dose of Christian worship music...and crusty rednecks got some gangster rap. I always had fun messing with people in my backseat and was prepared to entertain with various types of music.

Edit: Here in the PNW, many of us wear suspenders (you see em on COPS alot). I wear K&W suspenders and love them. Over the years, they have saved my back and at 40 years old, I have zero back issues. I have never seen a Texas officer wearing them but if your dept. would allow it...highly recommended.
    Last edited by Rodeojones; 05-23-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeojones View Post
    Another vote for Danners...only patrol boot I will wear. I like the Oakley's for overtime details that entail long hours on my feet like traffic control, etc. They are very light and comfortable and much easier on the feet vs a patrol boot.

I'm not real picky on my gloves...I actually wear automotive gloves that I purchase at a local automotive store. I go through a pair every couple months due to bodily fluids and other crap I get on it.

I wear Underarmor shirts under my body armor. I have tried various "breathable" under shirts like Adidas, Nike, etc and always come back to the Underarmor. They breath well, keep me as cool as possible, and are slick thus when I do sweat, my undershirt doesn't bind on my chest.

My favorite piece of equipment has to be my iPod and iRiver FM transmitter!! I am a huge music fan and always have it on while working. I load up the iPod with my favorite tunes, put it on shuffle, and away I go. For people with smart phones, the Pandora app is my favorite music app for the phone. I listen to Pandora via my Droid X and my FM transmitter if I get bored with my iPod. I also listen to podcasts and use Google Listen via my Droid X. Stream all podcasts through my FM transmitter just like my music. Prior to getting my dog, when I had a gang banger in my back seat, I loved cranking up some country music. Guys that were cursing me out would get a dose of Christian worship music...and crusty rednecks got some gangster rap. I always had fun messing with people in my backseat and was prepared to entertain with various types of music.

Edit: Here in the PNW, many of us wear suspenders (you see em on COPS alot). I wear K&W suspenders and love them. Over the years, they have saved my back and at 40 years old, I have zero back issues. I have never seen a Texas officer wearing them but if your dept. would allow it...highly recommended.
    The suspenders would make too much sense for most departments.

St. Cloud Proud!

I wear mine under my shirt www.backdefensesystems.com
    As far as music goes i just plug in my 16gb flash drive into the USB port and use windows media player or winamp. Easier than using a phone imho
    Last edited by SCSU74; 05-23-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    I wear mine under my shirt www.backdefensesystems.com
    As far as music goes i just plug in my 16gb flash drive into the USB port and use windows media player or winamp. Easier than using a phone imho
    You having to cut holes in your shirt to get the suspender keepers over your duty belt??

My Motorola Toughbook's speakers are horrible and I could never hear anything..especially when driving. If I use my phone, i'm running it through my car speakers with an FM transmitter. The sound quality is no different then listening to the radio...

Forum Member

I like my gun.

Forum Member
    My favorite gloves I have are my Oakley SI tactical gloves. They're comfortable, warm and I like the carbon fiber knuckle protectors. I like my Under Armor shirts and boots, and my favorite knife is my Benchmade 9100 sbt.
    Last edited by josephcook78; 05-23-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Forum Member

You having to cut holes in your shirt to get the suspender keepers over your duty belt??

My Motorola Toughbook's speakers are horrible and I could never hear anything..especially when driving. If I use my phone, i'm running it through my car speakers with an FM transmitter. The sound quality is no different then listening to the radio...
    No the only thing you will need for those suspenders is pants that are 1 size bigger than normal. Conceal very well

Single Man Unit

I push the AC/DC cd in while transporting someone to jail! "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC seems to be appropriate!
    LIVING TO LAUGH

NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT TODAY, NOTHING NEW, IT'S JUST WHAT WE DO

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    Oakley boots, Kershaw knife, Safariland leather gear for most part/few bianchi items mixed in, Streamlight Strion LED on belt and Streamlight Stinger LED in bag, Ringers and Oakley gloves, by far best purchase was Hawk lapel mic...I hate hate hate the regular lapel mic that clips to your shoulder or wherever
    Agreed about the lapel mic/ear piece...pure greatness! I also like my Bates iCS boots, 4Sevens AA2 flashlights, Serpa taser holster, Safariland open top cuff cases, back defender, Spyderco Paramilitary 2 knife, and my Glock 34 with Surefire X300 taclight and DG switch.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3441 View Post

+1

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpilot View Post
    Agreed about the lapel mic/ear piece...pure greatness! I also like my Bates iCS boots, 4Sevens AA2 flashlights, Serpa taser holster, Safariland open top cuff cases, back defender, Spyderco Paramilitary 2 knife, and my Glock 34 with Surefire X300 taclight and DG switch.
    how could i forget the open top cases, love em
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTShooter View Post
    Bates are okay. It appears to be what a majority of officers wear. I wear converse boots though.

As far as duty gear, I've never had any issues with Safariland and 5.11 stuff.

The only gear I refuse to ever buy/own is Blackhawk or Uncle Mikes.
    Whats your take on blackhawk? Ive owned a holster used for training days for several years and recently been issued their Serpa holster which is amazing. What products have you had that were bad or subpar or is it something with the company as a whole?

Stay Alert, Stay Alive!!!
    NOOOOOOO, please dont drop the Blackhawk Serpa holster deal, the anti blackhawk serpa monsters will jump all over it, they can smell the blood in the water LOL LOL

First thing they will say is to watch the youtube video where a guy packs tons of snow into the serpa holster and the locking mechanism fails. Second, they will talk about how your trigger finger shouldnt be use for anything except to pull the trigger. They say this because as you know you use your index finger to unlock it (dont know the proper term for it) and they SAY that your finger slides into the trigger area.

Ive used the Level 3 combo light holster for a year. No problems ever. I work in the city, never wrestled in mud or snow (I live in Houston). Ive been to mulitple tactical handgun classes where I ran the holster hard along with the Blackhawk Xiphos light and had no malfunctions, infact I had faster draws than most. Ill leave the Blackhawk issue for the others now. GOOD LUCK with that LOL LOL

I recommend vertical open top magazine holders. I used to carry horizontal cover up mag holders but my times at the tactical handgun classes were too slow when doing different reload drills. 5.11 makes a nice open top mag carriers. I forget the name of the other company that makes them but they even have a slot for an AR15 mag behind the pistol mag carrier, im looking into getting that one. As far as the rest of my rig, its Bianchi nylon, nice and durable, not too pricey either.

I carry a streamlight but im leaning towards the surefire now. Both are great flashlights. I like my Glock 21 with Xiphos tac light and about to do some MODS to it. I was laid off from my old department and the new department im interviewing with carries SIGS, so im holding out on some accessories and gear I want to get. If I do get hired on, I wont have to worry about buying anything, department provides you with EVERYTHING, once your shop reaches 75K miles, they give your a new one.

I wear Kiowa Tactical boots, nice boots if you want to chase someone down but it takes forever to break them in. Im liking the Oakley boots but plenty of people say that they dont last. My backup with my old department was going to be a Glock 30 but didnt get since I was laid off. I like my AR15 and currently working on my list to actualy build and part my next one.
    I carry a blue force micro pack, very nice pack, have it filled with ammo, xtra mags, medical gear and some snacks.
    Got myself a PIG plate carrier with blue force ten speed AR15 mag pouches. I have level 4 plates in them.
    Last edited by Zurita210; 05-27-2011 at 12:24 AM.

G-14 Classified
    Streamlight for flashlights
    Mostly use Safariland for duty gear
    Damascus gloves
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

According to Bob Costas, Sandusky's penis raped those boys, not Sandusky.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zurita210 View Post
    NOOOOOOO, please dont drop the Blackhawk Serpa holster deal, the anti blackhawk serpa monsters will jump all over it, they can smell the blood in the water LOL LOL

First thing they will say is to watch the youtube video where a guy packs tons of snow into the serpa holster and the locking mechanism fails. Second, they will talk about how your trigger finger shouldnt be use for anything except to pull the trigger. They say this because as you know you use your index finger to unlock it (dont know the proper term for it) and they SAY that your finger slides into the trigger area.

Ive used the Level 3 combo light holster for a year. No problems ever. I work in the city, never wrestled in mud or snow (I live in Houston). Ive been to mulitple tactical handgun classes where I ran the holster hard along with the Blackhawk Xiphos light and had no malfunctions, infact I had faster draws than most. Ill leave the Blackhawk issue for the others now. GOOD LUCK with that LOL LOL

I recommend vertical open top magazine holders. I used to carry horizontal cover up mag holders but my times at the tactical handgun classes were too slow when doing different reload drills. 5.11 makes a nice open top mag carriers. I forget the name of the other company that makes them but they even have a slot for an AR15 mag behind the pistol mag carrier, im looking into getting that one. As far as the rest of my rig, its Bianchi nylon, nice and durable, not too pricey either.

I carry a streamlight but im leaning towards the surefire now. Both are great flashlights. I like my Glock 21 with Xiphos tac light and about to do some MODS to it. I was laid off from my old department and the new department im interviewing with carries SIGS, so im holding out on some accessories and gear I want to get. If I do get hired on, I wont have to worry about buying anything, department provides you with EVERYTHING, once your shop reaches 75K miles, they give your a new one.

I wear Kiowa Tactical boots, nice boots if you want to chase someone down but it takes forever to break them in. Im liking the Oakley boots but plenty of people say that they dont last. My backup with my old department was going to be a Glock 30 but didnt get since I was laid off. I like my AR15 and currently working on my list to actualy build and part my next one.
    I carry a blue force micro pack, very nice pack, have it filled with ammo, xtra mags, medical gear and some snacks.
    Got myself a PIG plate carrier with blue force ten speed AR15 mag pouches. I have level 4 plates in them.
    Ok the snow/ect I can see possible affecting the finger release but hell my safariland had the same issue when I got a crap load of dirt in it. required flushing it out with some compressed air and wd-40. then ive had the latch spring break so it wouldnt lock into place so i walked around with a level 1 holster till it was replaced. as far as the finger trigger release I had this worry myself on my first CQC holster. I got my hand wet to simulate a stresfull situation and applied as much pressure to the switch as possible and when unholstering my finger never slipped into the trigger guard. I think these issues are one of those issues that officers complain about without actually trying it out.

Stay Alert, Stay Alive!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimy View Post
    Ok the snow/ect I can see possible affecting the finger release but hell my safariland had the same issue when I got a crap load of dirt in it. required flushing it out with some compressed air and wd-40. then ive had the latch spring break so it wouldnt lock into place so i walked around with a level 1 holster till it was replaced. as far as the finger trigger release I had this worry myself on my first CQC holster. I got my hand wet to simulate a stresfull situation and applied as much pressure to the switch as possible and when unholstering my finger never slipped into the trigger guard. I think these issues are one of those issues that officers complain about without actually trying it out.
    I guess you need to make a youtube video and show the malfunctions with the Safariland holster, people seem to thing is man's greatest gift. I got nothing against Safariland, I just like my Serpa.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last