Forum Member

Another careful what you post on Facebook thread...

Sorry if it is a repost.

http://www.ajc.com/news/barrow-deput...er-952216.html

A Barrow County deputy resigned after he was confronted with postings from his Facebook page that included derogatory references to President Obama with terms like “towel headed” and “camel jockey.”

Sgt. Lewis Rusgrove, who was initally suspended without pay for 10 days, has resigned from the

According to Channel 2 Action News, the sheriff had opened an internal investigation of the Internet writings of former Capt. Lewis Rusgrove but that ended with his resignation on Thursday.

Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith said Rusgrove’s postings became an issue for the office because he identified himself on the page as captain, CID, or Criminal Investigations Department, at the Barrow County Sheriff's office.

"It was a big concern to me," Smith told Channel 2.

The discussion thread on his page began with high gas prices. Then Rusgrove wrote, “Damocrats, blacks or African-Americans where is the outrage towards your towel headed leader.”

He wrote, you “voted this camel jockey into office.”

The discussion ended with, "I guess you're too busy helping baby killers, gays, and pot heads.”

Smith learned of the Facebook postings when someone slid a printout of the page under his office door.

Initially Rusgrove was suspended without pay for 10 days.

After his suspension, Rusgrove wrote a letter to the sheriff saying his comments were of a political nature and did not come out of hatred. According to Channel 2, Rusgrove also wrote in rebuttal that his 10-day suspension was excessive and violated his free speech rights to express his political views away from work.

The sheriff opened an internal investigation when employees said they were uncomfortable with Rusgrove’s opinions.

Rusgrove did not respond to a message left on his home

Sh#% Magnet
    So is he a Capt or a Sgt?

Things like this are why I do not have a Facebook, or any social media account tethered to my name. I make some pretty off the wall comments in a joking way but things are not always taken in the proper context when in text format. I'd rather remain anonymous on the internets and have my lolz in private.

Conservitum Americum
    Two things.
    1. I like this guy.
    2. He ain't dlo.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Operator
    Looks like he got screwed by a co-worker.... If they slide the page underneath the door.....

Nice.....

Forum Member
    Did he get demoted our what? I am thinking he knew the writing was on the wall so retired while he could. Not everyone on your friends list is your friend I guess!!!

Forum Member

Bad taste... yes... suspension worthy? Yeeeaaaah no.

Infiltration Unit
    I have a Facebook account because it is easier to post snippets and keep up with family and old friends that way than it is to write out an email once every blue moon. Keeps the family in the loop with pics of the kids and all. A couple ground rules I abide by strictly:

I don't post anything I wouldn't want shared with the local newspaper on the front page

I don't mention which agency I work for (if you're friends with me you already know anyway).

I make sure to check at least once a week to see if they haven't dicked with the privacy settings and have everything set to "friends only" or "only me"

I have nobody from work or associated with somebody from work as a "friend". I only have about 40 people as "friends", just went through and cut out about 30, and will probably do more in the near future.

I don't "Like" any pages, I don't add any "apps", don't play any games. I get on it maybe once every 3 or 4 days. Rarely post anything.

It's a good resource if used in proper context and with the understanding that everything on the internet can eventually be seen.
    Last edited by Georgetime; 05-21-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax circa 1993

Conservator of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    Facebook = Evidence. Why anybody would post anything is beyond me.....
    I have a Facebook account, but even though my page is pretty restricted, I post as though I know what's going up may appear on the cover of the NY Times.
    "They don’t think it be like it is, but it do."

Former Major League Baseball player Oscar Gamble

MCLMM
    Got good on my FB?

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." -Ernest Hemingway

Forum Member
    We have a policy on what can and cannot be placed (photos, where you work, photo of you with a bikini clad girl laying on your patrol vehicle) but it only seems to come up when the brass needs it. As far my face book account I think my wife runs it. lol
    "I do not fear the man who yells, I fear the man who doesn't"

Forum Member
    I have one myself, but there's no indication of what i do on it. I only have several friends on it but that's because I'm especially picky about who I "friend". I don't even have my picture on it.
    What are we going to do tonight? Same thing we do every night! TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!

Oh boy
    Last edited by Steelers5
    Last edited by Steelers5; 05-23-2011 at 12:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    I won't say anything mean to you because you're obviously retarded. I don't know if you will understand or comprehend what everyone is saying to you, so put it this way: The internet is bad, bad place. No go, no go. Computer bad, no login. Stay home, eat sour patch kids- yum yum. No talk to no one. Stay home. Internet is bad, stay away. Bye, bye.

Oh boy
    Last edited by Steelers5; 05-22-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    I won't say anything mean to you because you're obviously retarded. I don't know if you will understand or comprehend what everyone is saying to you, so put it this way: The internet is bad, bad place. No go, no go. Computer bad, no login. Stay home, eat sour patch kids- yum yum. No talk to no one. Stay home. Internet is bad, stay away. Bye, bye.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    Facebook = Evidence. Why anybody would post anything is beyond me.....
    And it remains as evidence even AFTER you delete it and think it's loooong gone. This is true even if you delete your whole Facebook, etc. account.

Gang Tactic Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
    Bad taste... yes... suspension worthy? Yeeeaaaah no.
    He used the derrogatory/racist terms camel jockey and towel head. That's certainly deserving of some time off.
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Oh boy
    Last edited by Steelers5
    Last edited by Steelers5; 05-23-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Littering and...
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayPatriot View Post
    Smith learned of the Facebook postings when someone slid a printout of the page under his office door.
    Nice place to work, where some anonymous rat pr1ck does this to you.

Infiltration Unit
    Nice place to work, where some anonymous rat pr1ck does this to you.
    Prime reason not to add anybody from work, related to anybody from work, or friends with anybody from work as a Facebook "friend". I kind of see this situation as survival of the fittest. If he wasn't smart enough to not speak so candidly and politically incorrect on FB, this would never have happened. In my opinion he was asking for it.
    Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax circa 1993