Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Look at this freakin guy

Nevada Department of Corrections

Does anybody have any good first hand information on this agency? Just wondering what the shift schedules are, how is the morale, how their retirement works, academy info? Any information helps/
    Nothing worth having comes easy...earn it

Forum Member

I worked for the department for about a year and a half. There are some really good people there. However, the pay is falling and the dept is scared of actually training it's people for fear of them making decisions on their own. The 12 hour shifts pretty much only exist at Lovelock and Ely.
    The academy is about 6 weeks. I went through a five week academy, but it was expanded to seven weeks shortly thereafter. I think it's been reduced due to budget cuts.
    NDOC seems to be split between the North and the South. The northern institutions are convinced that everyone in the south is corrupt and/or lazy. There WAS tremendous corruption years ago, but not now.
    In these hard economic times, it's a job. Maybe not perfect, but it's employment and part of Police & Fire PERS.
    The biggest benefit that I was able to get from working there was the extensive handcuffing practice working lock-down units, understanding gangs like never before and studying criminal/human psychology in a dysfunctional microcosm of society.
    Sorry that this answer is so short. I hope it helps.

Forum Member

Also, the department will try to push you towards "employee paid" PERS instead of "employer paid" Employee paid retirement is how NDOC is able to show a half-decent starting wage. The benefit you gain is that you can cash out if you quit and have a decent lump sum of cash. Most agencies go with an employer paid retirement. I've spent my career with the "employer paid" option and transitioned as quickly as possible. I was surprised by how much my hourly wage went down when I did that.
    Good luck with whatever you choose.

CCSPD 1592

What type of training do they go through? Are they sworn officers by nevadas standards or do they go to a corrections type academy?

Look at this freakin guy
    Thank you all for the responses, I got a lot of great info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CCSPD 1592 View Post
    What type of training do they go through? Are they sworn officers by nevadas standards or do they go to a corrections type academy?
    They are sworn as POST Cat III officers and still fall under HR 218.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how long is academy? i am hearing from different sources that it is 8 weeks and 7 weeks and even 6 weeks? Which one is correct. What is the academy life like? Also will temporary restraining order ( was removed by judge 60 days afterdate if issue) be a automatic DQ?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by viking81 View Post
    Does anyone know how long is academy? i am hearing from different sources that it is 8 weeks and 7 weeks and even 6 weeks? Which one is correct. What is the academy life like? Also will temporary restraining order ( was removed by judge 60 days afterdate if issue) be a automatic DQ?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    No one can tell you if something will automatically DQ you, as most agencies keep those things VERY tight lipped. The only way to find out if something disqualifies you is usually to go through the process and see. Remember, most agencies evaluate your background on the totality of the information. One person might get through who has had a TPO placed against them, but another may not, depending on the rest of your file.

Forum Member

Thank you. Sad part was that same week when i received TPO i passes written ,physical and mini interview with NDOC. When i returned home i was greeted by two PO's and they gave me TPO so i just called the officer that i received my paperwork from and explained my situation. And i was told to wait until everything is settled down and reapply.
    Now since contract with my current job is ending i am going to apply again.

Thank you for your reply.

Forum Member

i have noticed that the website says 38k to 56k for c/o. thats a big differential, can any one advise what the median pay is for a c/o?
    thanks.

Forum Member

The pay listed is starting pay to topped out. The Employee paid retirement plan shows a higher dollar per hour wage. When I transitioned back to Employer paid, I realized I was making about $34,000 per annum. There IS overtime, but you can't count on it.
    NDOC CO's are CAT III peace officers and are duly sworn. Yes, you can carry a firearm off-duty, but the department discourages you from doing so and will not allow you to qualify with your off-duty gun. I got around this by getting a concealed weapons permit so I could have a documented qualification on record.

Forum Member

Does Nevada DOC start you on a higher step if you have a college degree/ degrees and proven work history in locked facilities and some other job types? I remember reading about it in a different forum some time ago.

Forum Member

Everybody comes in as a CO/T Correctional Officer trainee) and remain as such for your first year. You can request to be brought in as a CO. The request must be in writing and you have to submit a resume explaining your experience in a correctional setting. I did this. I doubt NDOC will give you a higher starting wage due to a degree or intermediate/advanced POST certificates.
    Good luck.

Forum Member

I just found my corresponding e mail with a recruter. It states that after completing following steps in one day written test, physical test, interview , written psych test, and hand in paperwork and "Proof of college and work experience so that they can start you at higher pay grade".

Thank you guys for your replies.
    Last edited by viking81; 06-04-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Forum Member

thanks vanguard, ill look into getting a ccw once i move there. how long does it take to top out?

i know this is kind of off topic but do you have any knowledge about Ely? according to personnel, they are the only ones holding an academy right now. i was wondering if its as bad as everybody says it is. sorry for all of the questions, its hard to find someone who has knowledge of NDOC who will actually talk.

viking 81, i just finished with the process last month and i was told i would be paid the same as a COT even though i have a degree, the only difference is ill be promoted to C/O faster than those who do not hold a degree.

Look at this freakin guy
    Hey bdog, How long was the entire process for you?

Forum Member

I took the written in september of 2010. took the pft, oral interview and psych test all in the same day in March of 2011. passed the background in April and took the medical in May.

i got a call from personnel 3 days ago, they told me there was an academy for Ely starting June 13. From what im hearing, Ely is the only place that there are openings. but idk how true that is since personnel wouldnt confirm it. I was hoping to get in some where in the Las Vegas area.

Forum Member

Thank you BDOG. If you dont mind can i pm you and ask some questions regarding the process.

Thank you

Forum Member

sure thing

Forum Member

I hate to be the one to say this, but NDOC will conveniently forget openings in urban areas when they need to fill remote posts. Ely isnt bad. Just realize that it IS rural Nevada. People that I know who have worked there complained about management, but that could be said for every yard in Nevada.
    Sorry they don't appreciate your education. Unfortunately, NDOC knows that there is someone out there without a degree that would gladly take the job. One of the guys I went to the academy with holds a degree and every POST certificate issued by Nevada (Basic I & III, Intermediate, Advanced, Management and Executive). He & I were able to qualify for immediate promotion to CO because of our LE experience.
    I was proud of being a CO. The agency doesn't give it's people alot of training and really is afraid of a CO making a decision, but I learned alot. I ran into many CO's that had horrible attitudes, but I also met some of the best people I've known in law enforcement. Professionalism and Pride in one's agencies starts with you. Good luck in your career.

Forum Member

Thank you Vanguard. I am trying to figure out if its worth it to move to such a remote place or if i should just wait it out until Las Vegas has an opening.

Just gettin' along mostly
    "AND THE FRANKENTHREAD RISES! "
    Hey guys, gals...others...I'm considering putting in my app for NDOC. An early post in the thread mentioned there were 12 hour shifts at Lovelock and Ely. Is this still true? Are there any other facilities with twelves?

Edit: I now have my answer on the twelve hour shifts. Anybody have any information on shift differential pay, overtime availability and/or off duty security work?
    Last edited by ComicGuy; 06-15-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Don't make me gassy.
    You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Forum Member
    Anyone interested in working for NDOC keep this in mind. If you choose employee/employer PERS option, EVERY CHECK will get an additional deduction of 22% on your pay. This does not include taxes. So if your pay is about 38k a year, calculate the 22% deduction and you will get a more realistic take home pay. If you choose employer only PERS, your hourly rate is actually less than what is shown on the job announcement. If you choose the medical insurance for your family, that's additional 300 to 400 dollars every month. I worked there for about a year and half. I'm glad I quit and became a police officer. There are very good officers that work at NDOC and I've learned so much while I was there. Their hiring process is a joke though, no polygraph, vey easy written test and physical agility test is also a joke. During the backgrounds they don't call anyone about you. They just run your criminal background record and that's it. Its a good starting place but consider the pay because they won't tell you this unless you pull it out of them.

Just gettin' along mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by not-a-deputy-yet View Post
    Anyone interested in working for NDOC keep this in mind. If you choose employee/employer PERS option, EVERY CHECK will get an additional deduction of 22% on your pay. This does not include taxes. So if your pay is about 38k a year, calculate the 22% deduction and you will get a more realistic take home pay. If you choose employer only PERS, your hourly rate is actually less than what is shown on the job announcement. If you choose the medical insurance for your family, that's additional 300 to 400 dollars every month. I worked there for about a year and half. I'm glad I quit and became a police officer. There are very good officers that work at NDOC and I've learned so much while I was there. Their hiring process is a joke though, no polygraph, vey easy written test and physical agility test is also a joke. During the backgrounds they don't call anyone about you. They just run your criminal background record and that's it. Its a good starting place but consider the pay because they won't tell you this unless you pull it out of them.
    Okie-dokie, so...how's about all the other questions that I asked? Can you do paid overtime? Is there shift differential? What kind of off-duty work is there? Do they have cookies?

Don't make me gassy.
    You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ComicGuy View Post
    Okie-dokie, so...how's about all the other questions that I asked? Can you do paid overtime? Is there shift differential? What kind of off-duty work is there? Do they have cookies?
    Overtime is very rare at thbe prison I worked in. If you go to the Ely prison I heard there is plenty of it there. You get paid time a nd a half for OT. There is shift differential, but on a 12 hour shift its only paid for 8 hours. Total shift diff is about 50 bucks a check if you work nights. Most prisons are 12 hour shifts. Not sure what you mean by "off-duty work" but when you are off duty you don't do anything work related period. They do have cookies that are made by inmates and sometimes thrown at COs. These cookies aren't the real deal though LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 Last