Forum Member

Window tint - Georgia?

Hey yall. I have a quick question. I know GA law has changed regarding window tint on cars. I know MOST new SUV's/Trucks/mini-vans/crossover's come with a factory privacy glass in the rear. This glass is rated at 20%.

I currently have a crossover that did not come with factory tint (I did get a "base" model). About 2 years ago I had it tinted with 32% film. GA law states that 32% is legal. I have recently thought about tinting the rear to 20%. To keep the cabin cooler and provide more privacy for my rear passengers. I know it is important for officers to be able to see driver, thats why I will keep the front side windows at 32%.

Do you think it is "okay" to do this? Would I be hasseled? Has an officer (any of you) pulled over a car to verify the tint in the rear was from the factory. If you saw my car with light enought tint in the front and privacy tint in the rear, would you pull me over?
    Also, is the tint law something that you can pull a citizen over for, or does it have to be in conjunction with something else?

Thanks!!

Forum Member
    Tint itself is enough for a stop, but only the front windows have to be 32%. I don't mind tint on vehicles, but usually don't stop for it unless it is just way too dark. Our tint meters slide over the window, so I couldn't check the back glass even if I had a need for it. I do, however, have a strong dislike for walking up on a vehicle with blacked out glass. If I can't see into the vehicle, you have a higher chance of having me call you back to me instead of me coming to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    Tint itself is enough for a stop, but only the front windows have to be 32%. I don't mind tint on vehicles, but usually don't stop for it unless it is just way too dark. Our tint meters slide over the window, so I couldn't check the back glass even if I had a need for it. I do, however, have a strong dislike for walking up on a vehicle with blacked out glass. If I can't see into the vehicle, you have a higher chance of having me call you back to me instead of me coming to you.
    I understand. Are you saying that in GA only the front has to be 32%?? Please clarify, that is not how I understood the law?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by superspeeder View Post
    I understand. Are you saying that in GA only the front has to be 32%?? Please clarify, that is not how I understood the law?
    Why not simply read the applicable section of the Georgia Motor Vehicle Laws? You can Google them. That way, you won't have to argue with a poster who has provided you with accurate information.

Forum Member
    Are you saying that in GA only the front has to be 32%??

Tint itself is enough for a stop, but only the front windows have to be 32%.
    Why not simply read the applicable section of the Georgia Motor Vehicle Laws? You can Google them. That way, you won't have to argue with a poster who has provided you with accurate information.
    +1
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

(--GOD--)
    Hey yall. I have a quick question. I know GA law has changed regarding window tint on cars. I know MOST new SUV's/Trucks/mini-vans/crossover's come with a factory privacy glass in the rear. This glass is rated at 20%.

I currently have a crossover that did not come with factory tint (I did get a "base" model). About 2 years ago I had it tinted with 32% film. GA law states that 32% is legal. I have recently thought about tinting the rear to 20%. To keep the cabin cooler and provide more privacy for my rear passengers. I know it is important for officers to be able to see driver, thats why I will keep the front side windows at 32%.

Do you think it is "okay" to do this? Would I be hasseled? Has an officer (any of you) pulled over a car to verify the tint in the rear was from the factory. If you saw my car with light enought tint in the front and privacy tint in the rear, would you pull me over?
    Also, is the tint law something that you can pull a citizen over for, or does it have to be in conjunction with something else?

Thanks!!

Is google broken?

The law is the law is the law. There is no such thing as "but is it ok for me to break it because I'm special".
    Last edited by Buffaloboy; 05-16-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffaloboy View Post
    Is google broken?

The law is the law is the law. There is no such thing as "but is it ok for me to break it because I'm special".
    EDIT - A multipurpose car is exempt from this law. My car is a crossover that is awd, has roof racks, high ride height, a foor door with hatch, and skid plates. I think it should be okay...
    Last edited by superspeeder; 05-16-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Hustler
    EDIT - A multipurpose car is exempt from this law. My car is a crossover that is awd, has roof racks, high ride height, a foor door with hatch, and skid plates. I think it should be okay...
    Then why did you post your questions?
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

(--GOD--)
    Your a idiot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffaloboy View Post
    Your a idiot.
    tell me something I dont know. Ill be getting 5% next week.

(--GOD--)
    HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN GEORGIA?
    Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Gerogia, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
    • Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
    • Front Side Windows Must allow more than 32% of light in.
    • Back Side Windows Must allow more than 32% of light in.
    • Rear Window Must allow more than 32% of light in.

Have fun with your tickets.

Forum Member

Well, you never mentioned the "multi purpose car exemption" before. Just go ahead and get 100% tint all around, including the windshield. When you get pulled over just tell the officer you read it is ok because you read it on the internet. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Forum Member
    Read below. BTW, your vehicle is not considered multi-purpose just because it is a crossover...

H.B. 20 (Window Tint) - Amends 40-8-73.1 - Effective May 2, 2005

Revives the window tint statute which was recently found unconstitutional by the Georgia Supreme Court with some minor modifications.

"Makes it a misdemeanor to violate specified window-tint restrictions

· Applies to both residents & non-residents.

· No window tinting on front windshield.

· On windows to either side of driver or in back of vehicle, the light transmission restriction may not be less than 32%, plus or minus 3% or increase light reflectance more than 20%.

· Labels indicating that tinted windows meet state specifications are no longer required.

Exceptions:

1. Sun visors mounted on front windshields.

2. On front windshields - lower left and right corners in a 5" or 7" square (respectively).

3. On front windshields - Passenger Common Carrier Signs meeting statutory specifications.

4. Upper most 6" on front windshield can have a transparent item which is not red or amber.

5. Any Federal, state or county required stickers may be placed as required

6. Rear windshields & side windows behind the driver of a:

a. Multipurpose passenger vehicle

b. School bus

c. Public transportation bus

d. Non-profit bus

e. Limousines

f. Windows tinted before factory delivery

g. Tinting otherwise expressly permitted by federal law

7. Anywhere on law enforcement vehicle.

The DPS (DMVS until July 1) may issue dark tinting permits to persons with special medical needs requiring tinting. Any GA Installer installing tinting in violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    Read below. BTW, your vehicle is not considered multi-purpose just because it is a crossover...

H.B. 20 (Window Tint) - Amends 40-8-73.1 - Effective May 2, 2005

Revives the window tint statute which was recently found unconstitutional by the Georgia Supreme Court with some minor modifications.

"Makes it a misdemeanor to violate specified window-tint restrictions

· Applies to both residents & non-residents.

· No window tinting on front windshield.

· On windows to either side of driver or in back of vehicle, the light transmission restriction may not be less than 32%, plus or minus 3% or increase light reflectance more than 20%.

· Labels indicating that tinted windows meet state specifications are no longer required.

Exceptions:

1. Sun visors mounted on front windshields.

2. On front windshields - lower left and right corners in a 5" or 7" square (respectively).

3. On front windshields - Passenger Common Carrier Signs meeting statutory specifications.

4. Upper most 6" on front windshield can have a transparent item which is not red or amber.

5. Any Federal, state or county required stickers may be placed as required

6. Rear windshields & side windows behind the driver of a:

a. Multipurpose passenger vehicle

b. School bus

c. Public transportation bus

d. Non-profit bus

e. Limousines

f. Windows tinted before factory delivery

g. Tinting otherwise expressly permitted by federal law

7. Anywhere on law enforcement vehicle.

The DPS (DMVS until July 1) may issue dark tinting permits to persons with special medical needs requiring tinting. Any GA Installer installing tinting in violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    Yes. The install will be done out of state so my installer will have no worries.
    Also, to my understanding, my vehicle is a MPV and is exempt from this law. For a vehicle to be an MPV is needs to be equiped with special options that allow for occasional off-road use (EX - high ride height, AWD, beefy suspension, roof rack, skid plates, and a SUV style look). CORRECT???

So where do I find a list of all MPV's????
    Wikipedia (I KNOW THIS IS NOT RELIABLE) says that a PT Cruiser is a compact MPV.
    Last edited by superspeeder; 05-17-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Forum Member

Update - After more research. The Federal EPA declares the SX4 Crossover a "small station wagon". And wikipedia declares a station wagon a MPV

Wiki - MPV means Multi-Purpose Vehicle (station wagon, SUV, van or truck)
    EPA - http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

The National Highway Traffic Saftey Administration also classifies the sx4 crossover as a station wagon - "The Suzuki SX4 sedan was introduced in the 2008 model year. The side impact crash test ratings also apply to the station wagon (5-door) versions of the SX4, which were introduced in the 2007 model year."

ALSO - Any vehicle is exempt if factory tint was applied to the glass when the car was manufactured. I do think the glass has "SOME" tint to it. IE - It will NOT read 100% VLT on a tint meter/the glass is not 100% clear. So most any car is exempt cause the glass is NOT 100% clear therfore some type of tint has been applied to the glass. -
    "f. Windows tinted before factory delivery"..............

I know the last statement is a HUGE stretch, but i did notice it APPEARS to be a loophole in the law. I know my laywer would have a hard time with that one haha.

Forum Member

Well, if you knew, or know all this, why bother us? Once more. Consult the Georgia Motor Vehicle Laws. That's the law the Officer will use in citing you.

Veritas Aequitas
    I guess the only way you are going to learn, is if your new tint cuts down on some of the glare from the flashing blue lights behind you...

Feel free to explain your unique interpretation of GA Law to the Judge in Recorder Court.
    -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine