Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Dog poop on my sidewalk

I have yet to catch the offender in the process but every once in a while I see a few turds on the sidewalk, driveway or sometimes even on my front lawn. I don't know for sure if it's a dog or a cat (see a stray wandering around) but I'm inclined to think it's somebody's dog given that it most often shows up near/on the sidewalk.

What can I do to possibly deter this? Odds of me catching it in the process are very slim. Stand outside all day and vigilantly stare down anyone walking their dog? Or stand outside and remind everyone walking a dog to pick up after them? Joking in both cases of course...

Is it legal to set up a camera to film someone for this? This seems like a gray area for me.... I know homeowners can be sued if someone trips on a crack in the sidewalk and hurts themselves, as the sidewalk is considered your property. But you can't videotape someone without their consent, even on your own property??

One of the hassles of living on a 'main' street.

Why so serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by I Go To Costco View Post
    Is it legal to set up a camera to film someone for this? This seems like a gray area for me.... I know homeowners can be sued if someone trips on a crack in the sidewalk and hurts themselves, as the sidewalk is considered your property. But you can't videotape someone without their consent, even on your own property??
    Your understanding of what is and isn't legal is flawed. People can sue others for anything they want, doesn't mean they're going to win the case if it's a frivilous case.

Let's say you set up a video camera and catch someone with their dog pooping in your yard, then what? Are you going to take this video to the police, and if so, what do you expect them to do with it?

Police Officer
    I admit it. It was me. I will refrain from pooping on your property, I didn't know it bothered you. I am sorry.
    Certified troll.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Why don't you just pick it up and throw it away; or, use a hard stream from your garden hose to wash it down. It is not a big deal! I am certain there are greater things in your world to worry about.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

I am getting the impression that I'm SOL and my only hope is that people pick up after their dogs....

Sucks.

Forum Member
    Go ahead and set up a camera. Check CA statutes but IMO one can film a public area anytime they wish. If you can catch the perp in the act and identify them, they could probably be subject to whatever fines are assessed for such a violation. In my county, I think it's up to $250.

If you're so inclined to set up a dog poop sting operation.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

L-1
    Forum Member
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Barefoot Ninja
    How about a fence?
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Mildly Interesting
    It's just some dog poop man. Pick it up and move on with your life.

If you called the police about this and I showed up, you'd get an earful from me.

Forum Member

You would fit right in with my HOA association, every meeting/newsletter is dominated by people who want to complain at about dog poop.

Most PDs can care less about dog poop. If we get any complaints, we turn them over to animal control and animal control does nothing about it.

NOT banned
    Not trying to be the odd man out here, but I effing hate that! If caught by me, while on duty, I would think a talking too and a "can you pick that up?" would do the trick....If I get attitude then I go to a "littering" charge...

SERIOUSLY...who hear has NOT stepped in dog crap?!?!?! Its annoying and it will kill grass..I get that its on the sidewalk, but what if it was a McDonalds sack...every 3 days..it would get old fast and I dont blame you for getting ****ed.

I WOULD try to see who's doing it and politely ask them to get rid of their dogs crap. If you get attitude then shoot them..

Edited to add....JUST KIDDING..DONT shoot them. Instead trying to find out who they are, (shoudl be easy), walk in and sign a complaint against them KEEP IN MIND that you may find yourself on the end of a barrage of dog crap wwhen youre not home. Be polite and Im sure the problem will get resolved
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    One thing I forgot to point out: Public sidewalks in front of your home are not "Your Sidewalk!" They belong to the City/County where you live. The lawn is yours, the driveway; except for the sidewalk portion, is yours. The parkway belongs to the city/county. Unless there is a specific city ordinance addressing such a situation, it is not unlawful in CA for a dog to do its business on your property if it is unfenced. I am quite certain that civil litigation will get you laughed out of the courthouse.

Good luck!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    One thing I forgot to point out: Public sidewalks in front of your home are not "Your Sidewalk!" They belong to the City/County where you live. The lawn is yours, the driveway; except for the sidewalk portion, is yours. The parkway belongs to the city/county. Unless there is a specific city ordinance addressing such a situation, it is not unlawful in CA for a dog to do its business on your property if it is unfenced. I am quite certain that civil litigation will get you laughed out of the courthouse.

Good luck!
    Except in certain cities that have a city ordinance to that effect......where I worked, you could be ticketed and fined simply for not having a 'pooper' bag with you while you were walking Fido......never mind not cleaning up after Fido had done his business....

I think it was $250 for the first violation, and went up from there.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Go To Costco View Post
    I am getting the impression that I'm SOL and my only hope is that people pick up after their dogs....

Sucks.
    One of the joys of home ownership. I encounter it once in awhile. The high pressure stream option with the garden hose works every time.

Forum Member

Thanks all, I have to say I overreacted. Yes, I do just hose it off each time and carry on with my day. It's not a big deal, but rather an eyesore that nobody can do much about. The thing is, this has happened more times than I can count or care to remember.... I probably pick up dog crap more than some of these owners do. Guess I was just venting and subliminally hoping that if the punk were to get caught they might get slapped with a nice fine or something.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing flattened dogpies, but a couple of times there were a couple of piles right behind my car tire. Wasn't thinking straight... I never really shopped for video surveillance equipment but I just figured it would help me catch the culprit and they would get their retribution.... a shallow victory and in retrospect, an unlikely result. The crap itself isn't what offends me the most, it's the blatant lack of common courtesy.

Normally I wouldn't complain about such a thing publicly but if you knew me personally and how laidback I am, you'd know that this isn't just the first, second or even tenth time that it's happened.

and someone mentioned Homeowner's Association? When that time comes, I'd rather not

Forum Member

I mentioned HOA....

If dog poop is really bothering you, that is the way to go. Look, I don't think it is that big of a deal (yes, I live in an HOA, no I don't let my dogs poop in people's lawns), but if you do and want recourse, that is probably the only way to go. Dunno about your specific HOA, but "dog poop" rules seem to be more or less standard in HOA clauses. And having them build a civil case is a lot easier than a PD building a criminal case.

Forum Member

Go to the pet store and get the anti pet spray that keeps animals from going on the carpet or marking things. They don't like the smell and will do their business elsewhere. I think they make outdoor versions too.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    Except in certain cities that have a city ordinance to that effect......where I worked, you could be ticketed and fined simply for not having a 'pooper' bag with you while you were walking Fido......never mind not cleaning up after Fido had done his business....

I think it was $250 for the first violation, and went up from there.
    I think that issue was included in my post where I stated:
    ...Unless there is a specific city ordinance addressing such a situation,...

Bigfoot Country
    If the dog is pooping on the sidewalk, the owner isn't stopping, dogs like to sniff around for a good spot. It shouldn't be your lawn but the owner is too brain dead or too lazy to care. I would put up at least a small wire garden fence or some shrubbery for the lawn.

Forum Member

Get some specimen containers, scrap up the crap, do it for two weeks so you get a good amount of a sample base, take it to the local Vet and ask them for a DNA analysis. The can do a match up via APIS and provide you with the suspect and owner. You can then take them to Small Claims court and get back the amount of time you've had to spend cleaning up, the cost of water, soap, etc. AND you can get a Restraining Order issued against the owner.

Or...

Dogs will sniff out the place they want to leave things at. Put some ground peppers (HOT) mixed in with some ground up jerky and let them sniff away. The spray stuff only works IF you first put some on your hand and rub it on the dogs gums to make them fear the taste.

Or...

Keep your sprinklers on.

Have gun......will travel
    Quote Originally Posted by District B 13 View Post
    Get some specimen containers, scrap up the crap, do it for two weeks so you get a good amount of a sample base, take it to the local Vet and ask them for a DNA analysis. The can do a match up via APIS and provide you with the suspect and owner. You can then take them to Small Claims court and get back the amount of time you've had to spend cleaning up, the cost of water, soap, etc. AND you can get a Restraining Order issued against the owner.

Or...

Dogs will sniff out the place they want to leave things at. Put some ground peppers (HOT) mixed in with some ground up jerky and let them sniff away. The spray stuff only works IF you first put some on your hand and rub it on the dogs gums to make them fear the taste.

Or...

Keep your sprinklers on.

But the poop is evidence and a chain of custody must be maintained!

OP, Call the Police Dept and ask to speak with the Canine Excrement Enforcement Team, they will set up surveillance and get the Offender identified
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

No Mas Pantalones
    Reminds me of the scene from "I Love You Man" when the dog poops on the sidewalk! LoL

What is APIS?!?! Are you serious?!?
    Last edited by Aerohead; 05-12-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Removed video clip...

Barefoot Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerohead View Post
    What is APIS?!?! Are you serious?!?
    Automated Poo Identification System. I thought that was common knowledge....
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

An Obvious problem
    Common Courtesy, sheeez he died before his brother Common Sense and he's been dead a long time.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

S*** just got real!
    Try some of this:

although I don't think they sell it at Costco...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last