Macho Man

legal gun racks inside car/truck?

I know I can't put a rifle rack next to the driver seat/passenger seat, but I'm wondering what's considered legal for a rifle or shotgun in the car (not trunk) where it's locked out of sight but still in the car.

Thanks

P.S. not doing it until I'm of legal age to do so....
    Last edited by Taylor13; 04-24-2011 at 08:28 PM.

DAL
    "Official Non-Person"
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor13 View Post
    I know I can't put a rifle rack next to the driver seat/passenger seat.
    Why not?
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

forum member
    Do you mean the back window of a p/u truck? In plain view?
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member

I would imagine it varies by state. By out of sight, do you mean completely enclosed or just something that is hard to see from outside the car?

Macho Man

Hard to see or enclosed. It's not like I need a rifle at my disposal immediately for a felony stop.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor13 View Post
    Hard to see or enclosed. It's not like I need a rifle at my disposal immediately for a felony stop.
    youre worrying me dood.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Macho Man

I'm talking about for taking a road trip here... not going to kill anyone, but never know what you'll run into out on the open road, or the forest roads, or the mountains..

Choke Yourself!
    Depends on the state. Check the state you're visiting for laws about weapons in vehicles. Also make notes of brandishing and hunting laws if you plant to take a shot at something in the wild. Even shooting varmints needs a license.

Forum Member

Taylor,

You need to back up and slow down. You are starting to slide into the wannabe mode. You DON'T need a shotgun in a quick release rack in your car. If you are that afraid to drive anywhere, don't. I see some arrests in your future.

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by District B 13 View Post
    Taylor,

You need to back up and slow down. You are starting to slide into the wannabe mode. You DON'T need a shotgun in a quick release rack in your car. If you are that afraid to drive anywhere, don't. I see some arrests in your future.
    +1

I'm smelling wannabe....not good for you.
    Certified troll.

Macho Man

Taylor,

Quick release? No.. I just want something enclosed that'll bolt or stay secure in a vehicle. I want to know what's recommended. Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm not buying a crown vic with a push bumper and a light on it.

DAL
    "Official Non-Person"
    Quote Originally Posted by wirefire2 View Post
    Depends on the state. Check the state you're visiting for laws about weapons in vehicles.
    Better yet, don't do it. Having a bunch of run-ins with cops over guns in your car will not look good.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Macho Man

Me and my friend that moved up to NC a few years back want to get together again and go shooting and maybe some hunting... I'll be checking state laws and making sure I'm legal, like I said I just want to know what is recommended. I'm not going to be putting blue lights on an old pickup truck here.. that's pretty dumb.

Conservitum Americum
    Just use a regular protective rifle case.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Forum Member
    Check for each state you drive thry as they may be diferent. In the trunk and unloaded is your safest bet.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Macho Man

Thanks Magic Matt and OneAdam12....

Forum Member

After all the posts you have made and read... Just lock it in the trunk and be done with it or lock it in a case and put it behind the seat. You DON'T need a gun rack, and yes, you are thinking of a shurlock or something similar otherwise you wouldn't have asked.

Kid, you are heading down the wrong path. it's plain as day.

Have gun......will travel
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Matt View Post
    Check for each state you drive thru as they may be different. In the trunk and unloaded is your safest bet.
    Best advice so far, Taylor a soft or hard case would be fine in the trunk.
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Macho Man

After all the posts you have made and read... Just lock it in the trunk and be done with it or lock it in a case and put it behind the seat. You DON'T need a gun rack, and yes, you are thinking of a shurlock or something similar otherwise you wouldn't have asked.

Kid, you are heading down the wrong path. it's plain as day.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I've learned a lot. You're a great guy.

Forum Member

Taylor,

Unlike you, I'm not a snotty little kid who thinks they are the end-all be-all. I'm doing the job you only dream about. Listen to good advice, then take it or not, it's up to you. Lose the attitude.
    Last edited by District B 13; 04-27-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Forum Member

Nevermind, forgot where I was