Forum Member

How to become a K9 Officer

I'm extremely interested in becoming a K9 police officer. I am currently a senior in college, graduate in the summer and am currently in the applying with local police departments. I also own an 11 week old high drive pure bred German Shepherd Puppy. I have a number of questions regarding all of this:

1. Is there anything I can do now, during the pre-academy/ hiring process to make myself down the line a better candidate for K9?
    2. Will my already having a dog and training her possibly for shutzhund make me a better candidate or less likely to be accepted?
    3. Knowing the prices of training and all for a purebred german lie dog is, as well as nurturing all the drive and everything is there any small possibility down the line as an officer my own dog could be evaluated to be my partner? I understand the absurdity of the question, but I'm looking at it from the standpoint of essentially a free dog and being curious.
    4. If my dog could be considered for K9 down the line, what/how do I prepare her now to ensure she could do the job and be my partner. Yes I said she, I know most K9's are male but she will likely be 80-90lbs, sleek body and hopefully a very high drive.

I appreciate your time reading, and any and all comments. I look forward to being a police officer and cant wait to get hired.

Stay Safe, and Happy Easter,

Police Officer
    1. No
    2. No effect.
    3. The department will provide you with your dog... you don't get to pick.
    4. Your dog will never be considered for police work.

Focus on getting into the academy first. Do your best. Then focus on getting hired. Then focus on getting through probation. Then focus on putting in 3-5 years. Then worry about the interview/testing to get a k9. Then worry about being the best k9 guy you can. You have no idea how far your dream is.
    Certified troll.

Forum Member

Michigan has done a good job covering this for you. You need to prove yourself as a road officer before you can even think about applying for a K9 position. If you want to be a K9 officer, be a good to great patrolman for a number of years and earn the respect of your fellow officers.

Forum Member
    Most of the time you prove yourself as a street cop before being considered for a special position like that. I know, I know, there are exceptions and once every blue moon a magic wand will get waved and POOF Deputy Dimwit just got promoted or became a k9 officer before poeople who should have got the position. Do good on the road and when a k9 position comes open put in for it. In the mean time when your off duty go with them when they train and help out however you can. That way you at least get to know the team and when your name comes up your more likely to get selected then one of the many other names trying to get the position. There was a guy on my shift who did that for the longest time. He was getting upset because some random person got chosen over him while he was coming in on his day off busting his butt helping out the team. Wether it be the guy who ran from the dog with the suite on getting tackled or cleaning up poop out the dog pins. He became all upset and mad saying F'it im DONE. I talked him into putting in one more letter the next time someone left. Sure enough that time he got selected. It eventually paid off and he got his dream job.
    Last edited by DeputySC; 04-24-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Forum Member
    Thanks so much for all the tips everyone. Appreciate it so much.

Forum Member

^^^^what everyone else said but I will add my .02 as I was a certified handler. In my state, most dual purpose dogs are imported (Malinois). I do know of 1 officer that used his personal German Shepherd but this officer had the dog imported at his own expense. If you were to start training your shepherd not knowing what you are doing, you are highly likely to start extremely bad habits. From my experience, most people who want to become K-9 have absolutely no idea what they are getting into. If I were in your shoes knowing what I know now, I would first get hired with a department. After a couple years, start volunteering to help the K-9 guys. Wear the bite suit, go to the training, then decide if its what you want. Trust me, its alot different than training your pet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    1. No
    2. No effect.
    3. The department will provide you with your dog... you don't get to pick.
    4. Your dog will never be considered for police work.

Focus on getting into the academy first. Do your best. Then focus on getting hired. Then focus on getting through probation. Then focus on putting in 3-5 years. Then worry about the interview/testing to get a k9. Then worry about being the best k9 guy you can. You have no idea how far your dream is.
    There's your answer. Michigan said it before I could.