Arresting Friends or Family

Have any of you had to arrest a friend or a family member? Did you get any grief from other family members for doing your job? If it is a family member, can LE pass off the arrest to another officer so s/he doesn't have to be involved?

Thanks!
    When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Officers can pass off an arrest to another officer, so long as you give them the probable cause to do it.
    "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
    -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMe View Post
    Have any of you had to arrest a friend or a family member? Did you get any grief from other family members for doing your job? If it is a family member, can LE pass off the arrest to another officer so s/he doesn't have to be involved?

Thanks!
    I've had instances where i've arrested former classmates, or people I'd met before. If it were a good friend of mine, or family, I wouldn't make the arrest. There are too many issues that can arise. I separate my personal and professional life. If I am dispatched to a run and it's a friend's house, or a family member's house, I'll pass it along to another officer. Likewise, those other officers will do the same.

The bigger issues is, my friends and family aren't inclined to break the law. I wouldn't be in this job too long if my friends and family were all criminals.
    Quote Originally Posted by K40 View Post
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PtlCop View Post
    I've had instances where i've arrested former classmates, or people I'd met before. If it were a good friend of mine, or family, I wouldn't make the arrest. There are too many issues that can arise. I separate my personal and professional life. If I am dispatched to a run and it's a friend's house, or a family member's house, I'll pass it along to another officer. Likewise, those other officers will do the same.

The bigger issues is, my friends and family aren't inclined to break the law. I wouldn't be in this job too long if my friends and family were all criminals.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Duty may sometimes be unpleasant, but it's duty regardless.

Three words: Conflict of interest.

NEVER arrest family or friends as it creates a conflict of interest of the most severe kind. When you get asked this question in your interview, the proper response is: "I would contact a supervisor, notify him/her of my conflict of interest, and ask that another officer handle the case."

This has happened to me. When I was in the DUI Enforcement unit I recall three separate incidents in which I was sent to handle a DUI. When I arrived I recognized a soldier I had served with in Iraq. Nope, I'm not doing it...CONFLICT OF INTEREST!
    MAC

yep...disp to hook bro-in-law for traffic warrant, (ex-gfriend called and "turned him in")
    called him and had him come outside to sign a piece of paper advising he will be in court and I told him that some chica is obviously watching him and knows where he is.
    I didnt hook him for his warrant in another county that would require him to go directly to jail, (very old child support warrant)

There was no hard feelings, especially since I advised him about his warrant from another county

I told my boss prior to going to the call and he said to not hook him if it would cause distress to the family.
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Some of us use to patrol/play Investigator in small rural counties in MO....plus have family trees that go straight up.....and little or no back-up if you are out in the county.......

I've arrested folks that I went to HS/College with along with several of my cousins..... A couple I didn't even know we were related till after the fact...... One is freaking nuts and is giving the Sheriff fits right now. VA keeps kicking him loose after they have "healed" his head.... He's going to end up being in the paper....and not in a good way.......

I have arrested both family and friends. Only in one case did a family member get ticked. They thought they would get a free ride since we are related. WRONG.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

I had to arrest a cousin once. Used my "discretion" several times to warn him that his behavior would get him arrested. There was a complaint filed when one of the complaining witnesses found out it was my cousin. An internal investigation was conducted and I was found to have done nothing wrong, as I do my best to treat everyone equally, regardless of who they are. There were documented cases that were similar in nature where I issued multiple warnings to an offender before they were arrested.

Not one of the high points of LE, but you do what you gotta do to execute your duties to the best of your ability.

I've been put in a severe enough situation that I had to be the arresting Officer at the moment; then promptly call another Officer over and excused myself. It was based on my PC, but I don't arrest people...they arrest themselves.

I've been assigned cases that I had a conflict of interest in and asked the Sarge to reassign them. Not a problem.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LPD003 View Post
    Officers can pass off an arrest to another officer, so long as you give them the probable cause to do it.
    This is what I would do if that situation ever arose. My family and friends don't make a habit of being arrested though.

Got two for you:

At my old dept. I get dispatched to a hit and run at 0530 in the morning where a vehicle struck a pedestrian out walking his dog with her side mirror. Luckily the victim was paying attention to the vehicle and called immediately. We found her and she led us right back to the scene, LOL.

Well I go talk to her and wouldn't you know I recognize her. She used to date one of my cousin's best friends. We've all hung out before and we knew each other on a first name basis. It was REALLY weird but I told her before I began the SFSTs; "Look, if it isn't me doing it, another officer will have to do it. So bare with me." Hooked her for DWI but another officer transported for me. I don't let anyone work my DWIs. I'd arrest the Governon for DWI (Trooper actually told me that one time lol).

After this last Superbowl that the Packers won I was dispatched to a possible DWI driver. As soon as I find him he's swerving all over the place. Well, we get him stopped (had an officer riding shotgun because his car had just overheated and I was giving him a ride to the PD) and of course I recognize him. My mom used to work with his wife. I was quite a bit younger but my mom was good friends with her and they used to take me to do stuff when I was young (12ish). He wound up blowing a .170 something and he never recognized me. When he got out of jail the next morning I guarantee you he recognized my last name on his temporary license paperwork. I hope it doesn't go to court.

Where I work you are constantly hooking people you grew up with, etc. It's a small town and I basically know everyone anyway. Really it's rare that I don't know the person in the back seat.

Also, I hooked my uncle for DUI. It wasn't pleasant but he knew what he'd done.

Not much family anymore and I hate everyone equally so, friends are a non problem...
    It takes a Wolf.......

My mother refused to drive in the county I worked as a deputy sheriff..
    Does that tell you anything?
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

lol @ Iowa.. it reminded me of that song I used to sing as a kid, something about ...can't go under it, can't go through it, guess I'll go around it....lol

Thanks everyone for your answers. I appreciate your time.
    When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Conflict of interest - maintain the scene until another officer arrives, and let them handle everything. Can't get into a jam that way.

Non issue for me, my family lives in another state. If they are visiting, I am on vacation and they are generally with me, so since I love my job, I have this knack for staying in line and keeping those I am with in line. Now if I was back where I grew up, once again Non issue, most of the family is tied to law enforcement in some fashion, so not much worries, now then if they did do something to warrant me having to take action it would be severe enough that a family member making the arrest would be the least of their worries.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member
    My family knows better.