Forum Member

camden police academy

Can anyone tell me what to expect from the pt at camden. I will be heading down there in a few months and was just wondering what kind of physical training they make you do every day. I would like to get a jump start on it. Thanks

Forum Member

Camden is a joke, especially the PT. For some reason the academy has the mentality of not hurting anyones feelings and sending those home who shouldn't be there. When I attended Camden, we had people who walked around the track as others were jogging and I never heard of it being an issue.

Forum Member

Academy

If you can work up to doing 40 push ups and 30 situps comfortable you will do fine. Also the most you ever run is about 3 miles. So if you can do 3 mile jog comfortably you will be fine. Their is an obstacle course, but if you can do the running it will be easy. PT is is only in the am. The only thing that will hurt you there is the boredom.....
    -

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paladin5150 View Post
    If you can work up to doing 40 push ups and 30 situps comfortable you will do fine. Also the most you ever run is about 3 miles. So if you can do 3 mile jog comfortably you will be fine. Their is an obstacle course, but if you can do the running it will be easy. PT is is only in the am. The only thing that will hurt you there is the boredom.....
    When did you go? You make it sound a lot more difficult than it is... or at least was a couple years ago.

Forum Member
    We didn't jog three miles. We jogged three laps towards the last three weeks of training. That's a 0.75 mile road you'll be jogging on too. Do the math.

Basically, the first day (which sucked so much *** I can't even tell you) we did a PT trest. Do as many pushups and situps in a minute as possible. Run as fast as you can for two laps around that road (1.5 mi.). Then you go chill out in the dorm, eat a crappy meal, and have the student rule book read to you.

Your score on the initial PT test decided whether you'd become a free runner or clydesdale. If you were a free runner you ran one lap for the first 2-3 weeks while the clydesdales ran two in attempt to get them all on the same level which of course never happens.

Over the next several weeks you'll have to walk laps in the gym, do jumping jacks, do situps, pushups, and run two laps. Toward the end like I noted that's increased to three. Also, toward the end we had to started working out with weights. For the love of everything holy, when they ask who has experience with free weights raise your hand. Those of us that had been lifters basically set our own rules. The poor souls who didn't raise their hands were relegated to timed and structured working out on the machines. When he blows that whistle you dang well better be off of it too.

We didn't work out on Fridays and a few other days mixed in there. The workouts weren't bad. I'm just not for getting up at 0500 to go do it. I've always been a night time worker outter.

While you're there you'll hear that the week devoted to accident investigation (or A.I. week) is killer and causes people to fail and drop out. That's completely not the case. That's a foolishly perpetuated rumor. You're introduced to a few equations used to investigate accidents, and if you can't work those you have no business holding a H.S. diploma or G.E.D., much less a college degree. Sadly, they don't teach enough of it for you to know what you're doing in real life. I have never utilized any of the information taught that week and frankly couldn't remember it, but I made like a 98% or something on the test that week. It's cake. Don't sweat it. Like much of the training, A.I. week was also a farse.
    Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 04-15-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Forum Member

Aleta

Quote Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
    When did you go? You make it sound a lot more difficult than it is... or at least was a couple years ago.
    I went to Class 98A. We did range runs and eventually ran about 4 laps around the road. It wasn't very difficult. We did PT Mon-Friday and you will become familiar with, "Good Morning Folks-- On your Backs! Its gets funny after a while. Did get some shin splints. We didn't have weights, so just running, obstacle course, and Jumping Jacks, push ups and Situps.
    -

Forum Member
    Man after reading this, it seems like the ALETA here in Pocahontas (for North Little Rock and up departments) the PT is A LOT worse than Camden. Flipping tires, doing billups on the range and while running as soon as you finish you do billups til the last person finishes. Then you run back, and again billups til everyone finishes.

Forum Member
    Class 97C. Our PT was a Jake also. But I'm a military guy. Now I'm in an academy in NC, Our PT is actually pretty good. On a side note, our AI week was a lot lease intense than ALETA. No math involved.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud_Pig View Post
    Man after reading this, it seems like the ALETA here in Pocahontas (for North Little Rock and up departments) the PT is A LOT worse than Camden. Flipping tires, doing billups on the range and while running as soon as you finish you do billups til the last person finishes. Then you run back, and again billups til everyone finishes.
    What are billups?

Forum Member
    Burpee's Burpee's Burpee's

Sorry for some reason i always call them billups, and i have no clue why.

The burpee is a full body exercise used in strength training and as aerobic exercise. It is performed in five steps:

1. Begin in a standing position.
    2. Drop into a squat position with your hands on the ground.
    3. Kick your feet back while lowering yourself without a pushup.
    4. Return your feet to the squat position while straightening your arms.
    5. Leap up as high as possible from the squat position with your arms overhead (you may not clap your hands above your head at the peak of your jump).

Forum Member

I went to Class 98A. We did range runs and eventually ran about 4 laps around the road. It wasn't very difficult. We did PT Mon-Friday and you will become familiar with, "Good Morning Folks-- On your Backs! Its gets funny after a while. Did get some shin splints. We didn't have weights, so just running, obstacle course, and Jumping Jacks, push ups and Situps.
    I went in 08. I can assure you the PT program is a joke, atleast now.

Forum Member
    I went in 08. I can assure you the PT program is a joke, at least now.
    I heard is was easier now. Back then if your agency got a call that you were slacking you didn't have a job. Agencies were concerned with Pride back then. Its a much easier training environment now. I wonder if they still have the burger king application posted at the range. Just do what your told and give it a 100% and anyone should be fine. Last I heard which was years ago they sent the older guys to Pocahontas because the lack of PT. Maybe its changed. Officers felt they were getting shorted if they went to Pocahontas, I know they were looked at them differently until they proved themselves under stress.
    -

Forum Member

I heard is was easier now. Back then if your agency got a call that you were slacking you didn't have a job. Agencies were concerned with Pride back then. Its a much easier training environment now. I wonder if they still have the burger king application posted at the range. Just do what your told and give it a 100% and anyone should be fine. Last I heard which was years ago they sent the older guys to Pocahontas because the lack of PT. Maybe its changed. Officers felt they were getting shorted if they went to Pocahontas, I know they were looked at them differently until they proved themselves under stress.
    We had an old lady manage to load her magazine backwards at the range... we had an old guy there who had horrible handgun safety and could not shoot at all, not sure what type of back door training they got that allowed them to pass. There were a lot of people there that shot horribly but once they were taken back as a "group" they managed to pass. We had people in their early 20's who walked around the track in the morning with their buddy and nothing was said. It's literally scary to see how many people graduate from that academy that should have never been there in the first place.

Forum Member
    We had an old lady manage to load her magazine backwards at the range... we had an old guy there who had horrible handgun safety and could not shoot at all, not sure what type of back door training they got that allowed them to pass. There were a lot of people there that shot horribly but once they were taken back as a "group" they managed to pass. We had people in their early 20's who walked around the track in the morning with their buddy and nothing was said. It's literally scary to see how many people graduate from that academy that should have never been there in the first place.
    I agree Se7en.....
    -