Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

500-1000 push ups a day

Has anyone tried doing 500-1000 push ups every other day ? I started doing this now, the most I did in a day was 500. Now im adding a weight vest to add resistance looking forward to hopefully see some definition an muscle gain, I am also trying to do about 100 pull ups or more if I can as well.

Forum Member
    Yes,
    I did 360 this morning. Did sets of 60/70 before breakfest. Ate a little did some more pushups and finished my breakfest. I'll do about 200 or so before and as I cook diiner and maybe 100 before bedtime.

Forum Member
    I am not in jail so, I don't work out like it........ Just kidding. Seriously though I just go to the gym to do my workouts that way I can add as much or little resistance as I want. I can also get a much better chest and tricep workout than just doing puishups.

^^^^ dont overlook the the benefits of the pushup. Sure there are other exercises but there is a reason the pushup is still the building block of many workouts (military, law enforcement, fire, etc).

Forum Member
    I've herd of guys getting into good shape just from pushups as well as pull ups. Any results from any one? My bench press has improved from a lot of pushups now as well.

Push ups are great so are pull ups. The only thing is it takes time to do all those reps where as with weights you get a decent workout in 40 minutes. Push ups do help with endurance which I need for my training so I mix it up working out with weights and body weight exercises.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syphon157 View Post
    ^^^^ dont overlook the the benefits of the pushup. Sure there are other exercises but there is a reason the pushup is still the building block of many workouts (military, law enforcement, fire, etc).
    I would argue that the reason these insitutions utilize the push up is simple, it is relatively effective and requires no equipment, kinda hard to get 100 or so people doing bench press at the same time. Also, the risk of injury is very low as it is a less than bodyweight excersise . I won't argue that it is convienent however, I would have to disagree that it alone is a good chest workout for building pure strength, endurance yes, strength no....

I have to agree with Former Teacher it's a great workout but I don't have the time, patience or desire to achieve that goal. I give you fellas a lot of credit for doing it. To me if your doing push ups, weights, pull ups etc that's great. Much better than doing nothing, what ever the means to justify the end result just keep moving.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

SHU
    Anyone who has ever worked within the walls of a prison knows that push ups, pull ups, dips and bodybuilders can make a person fighting strong. They won't give you the look but you will certainly be able to walk the walk with an aggressive calisthenics workout plan.

Want a great way to do push-ups/flutter kicks/crunchies/or whatever you are trying to work on.....?

Do your normal daily workout.... Just keep doing what you are doing....

When you come home at night and crank on the TV, everytime a commercial comes on....drop down and start knocking out push-ups (or ab workout). Nothing too serious and you don't have to go fast.....just keep a good pace to the end of the commerical break and when its over....go back to watching TV.......

Do that the entire night till you hit the hay.....

Do it for about 5-6 weeks and you will see a hell of an improvement.....

When I was in the Acadmey, I did a night of push-ups then a night of abs....and alternated..... When we did PT Test, my stuff was through the roof......

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcioccke View Post
    I have to agree with Former Teacher it's a great workout but I don't have the time, patience or desire to achieve that goal. I give you fellas a lot of credit for doing it. To me if your doing push ups, weights, pull ups etc that's great. Much better than doing nothing, what ever the means to justify the end result just keep moving.
    sounds like it's a skinny guy exercise... ha ha...just kidding...no offense to you skinny guys.
    "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

LMAO they gotta be good at something- Lord knows they can run like the wind
    MDRDEP:

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcioccke View Post
    LMAO they gotta be good at something- Lord knows they can run like the wind
    They'll need us when it's time to kick in a door.
    "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

I know my role and I'm cool with that
    MDRDEP:

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by POSr View Post
    sounds like it's a skinny guy exercise... ha ha...just kidding...no offense to you skinny guys.
    That was funny.
    I was watching documentary on Navy Seals been seeing the bodyweight exercises they do and tons of running with weight on etc. Figured I try a workout like that, would help once I get into some police academy and the workouts should be a breeze for me.

SHU
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.NYC View Post
    That was funny.
    I was watching documentary on Navy Seals been seeing the bodyweight exercises they do and tons of running with weight on etc. Figured I try a workout like that, would help once I get into some police academy and the workouts should be a breeze for me.
    They will help you tremendously but they will not be a breeze If you are doing them fast with proper form without any rest whatsoever between sets. Do it for 45 minutes and you will have a pond of sweat beneath you. They will give you strength and endurance which is what you need in a fight.

Forum Member
    I haven't been doing 500 pushups a day, but I do a minimum of 120 a day at my academy, and that's not including pushups during scheduled PT. However, if I screw up bad enough I could easily find myself doing 500 pushups a day.

Forum Member
    Damn, I've been doing about 150 pushups every other day to get ready for the academy. Now I feel like a failure.

I don't want to work out every single day. I need to give my muscles time to recover.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Want a great way to do push-ups/flutter kicks/crunchies/or whatever you are trying to work on.....?

Do your normal daily workout.... Just keep doing what you are doing....

When you come home at night and crank on the TV, everytime a commercial comes on....drop down and start knocking out push-ups (or ab workout). Nothing too serious and you don't have to go fast.....just keep a good pace to the end of the commerical break and when its over....go back to watching TV.......

Do that the entire night till you hit the hay.....

Do it for about 5-6 weeks and you will see a hell of an improvement.....

When I was in the Acadmey, I did a night of push-ups then a night of abs....and alternated..... When we did PT Test, my stuff was through the roof......
    But I have TiVo. What now? heh

Forum Member
    you need to do the push up challenge, on jan 1st you start out doing 1 then you add one push up for every day of the year, so by then end of the year you have to do 365 push ups.

Ask Herschel Walker about push ups and sit ups....Thats all he did almost his entire career and he's still a beast..

Although I stopped to focus more on my times...I'm about to start again...

Every run I do I stop every mile and do a min. of 30-50 push ups...It's a great way to work out and increase you amount
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Forum Member
    When I worked in the jail there was an inmate that did 1500 pushups a day, sets of 50 altenating between regular and diamond. He was a bull.

Forum Member
    Im not sure that doing that many pushups per day is really a good idea. Sounds like it would be extremely hard on your wrists and shoulders. I could see it every other day, but i'd be real careful.

Last edited by thump; 05-20-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Forum Member
    well i tell you , i loved doing push ups but since the acadamy i have had nothing but problems with my shoulder , I now have arthritis and tendenitis in my left shoulder and will never be able to lift heavy weights again . In basic i added almost 50 lbs to my bench alone by doing mass amounts of push ups , but now with my shoulder jacked and the possibility of surgery at 24 years old it was not worth it . Like any training program do with caution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast