Forum Member

Advice about temp/dealer tags

A few months ago I purchased a used car from a used car lot. 3 months have passed by and I still do not have my permanent plates or my registration sticker. I paid to have the vehicle inspected and paid for a TX green slip out of my own pocket at the request of the dealer so they could get the my plates and registration sticker.

2 months later I still don't have my plates. The dealer plate that I have on the vehicle expired over a month ago and I am getting nervous about driving the vehicle. I have thought about telling the car lot that I wouldn't be sending car payments til I got my plates (I am financing through the car lot). But that likely wouldn't go well and they would probably repo the car, and I would lose all the money I put down for a down payment ($7500 cash).

I have contacted the DMV in my area and the woman I spoke with basically told me that she didn't care and nothing would get done about it.

Yes I know i am driving around illegally, but I have no other vehicle and I have to go to work to pay my bills. I know I could get a ticket for driving around with an expired dealer plate, I only hope the officer that pulls me over is able to empathize with the situation. Given he doesn't think I am full of BS.

Any advice on who to contact, given the situation?

All help is appreciated and thanks for all you do for your communities.

Conservitum Americum
    Call an attorney.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Forum Member
    Refinance the loan with someone who can actually handle the paperwork. Talk to the people at DMV who do care and can do something.

Forum Member

I would cite you with failure to destroy temp tags upon their expiration and for not having current validation plates/tabs. Your car would also get towed. In other words, get it taken care of. Technically once those temporary tags expire you are driving an unregistered motor vehicle. My break to you would not be giving you that citation, provided you are cooperative.

Forum Member

If you have the title, or what ever documents you need to get the vehicle registered you should pay out of your own pocket to have the vehicle properly registered and then sue the dealer to recuperate the cost. If the dealer retained the title as they often do at many in-house financed dealers or "Buy Here, Pay Here" lots then this might not work. Also see if there are any regulatory agencies that regulate car dealers and see how they can be of assistance. You are probably not the only person who has had this experience with this particular dealer. I don't know if Texas regulates car dealers but in the Peoples Republic of Maryland we have regulatory agencies for EVERYTHING.

Continuing to operate the vehicle while it is unregistered will put you at risk for being cited for operating unregistered and the plethora of other tickets that are associated with it. As the law is written it is the driver's responsibility to make sure that the vehicle is properly registered, equipped, and insured. An officer may not care what your reason is and a judge may not either.

Whatever you do, DO NOT alter the expiration date on the temp tag, make a new tag on your computer, etc. This will only make things much worse.
    Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
    To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird543 View Post
    If you have the title, or what ever documents you need to get the vehicle registered you should pay out of your own pocket to have the vehicle properly registered and then sue the dealer to recuperate the cost. If the dealer retained the title as they often do at many in-house financed dealers or "Buy Here, Pay Here" lots then this might not work. Also see if there are any regulatory agencies that regulate car dealers and see how they can be of assistance. You are probably not the only person who has had this experience with this particular dealer. I don't know if Texas regulates car dealers but in the Peoples Republic of Maryland we have regulatory agencies for EVERYTHING.

Continuing to operate the vehicle while it is unregistered will put you at risk for being cited for operating unregistered and the plethora of other tickets that are associated with it. As the law is written it is the driver's responsibility to make sure that the vehicle is properly registered, equipped, and insured. An officer may not care what your reason is and a judge may not either.

Whatever you do, DO NOT alter the expiration date on the temp tag, make a new tag on your computer, etc. This will only make things much worse.
    Ah a fellow Marylander. Yes, don't alter the temp tag. I can think of 5 tickets off the top of my head alone that I could write.

Forum Member
    Have you contacted the dealership that sold you the car? Call them and find out if they ever processed the reg. You say you paid them to do it. They might also be able to give you another temp to get you through. I am in CT (I know, a long way off from TX) and our DMV is notoriously slow, so it could be that it simply has not come yet. You said that you paid for the reg out of pocket - do you have proof of payment? If you find that the dealer has not or will not process the reg, seek help from the DMV - they should have a section that regulates dealers.

In the meantime, do not operate the vehicle. It is the responsibility of the operator to ensure that the vehicle is registered prior to operation, and enforcement will not fall back on the dealer. Nor will towing and impound costs.

Forum Member

Unless the Texas system has changed in the past few years, you register your vehicle at your county court house. Properly licensing your vehicle is YOUR responsibility, NOT the dealer's. Even if you purchased the car from a "We Tote the Note" dealer, you still should have been provided the proper paper work with which to register your car. I could quote Alabama Law to you, but that's probably not going to help you in Texas. Contact the tag office at your county courthouse. They should be able to assist you.

Forum Member

If Texas allows it, the least you need to do is get anoher set of temp tags until you can get regular tags.

Forum Member

You need to call the Texas Department of Motor Vehicle Division (TXDOT)and file a complainant on the dealership. I would also go to your local courthouse and get a 30day temporary tag until you get your vehicle license plates and registration.
    When seconds count, we are ONLY minutes away!!!

What's a B Boy?
    That car dealership sounds shady!
    Lawyer up!