Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Reserve Police Officer

I am trying to look at becoming a Reserve Police officer till i can get picked up for a full time LEO, I know of a few reserves (shelton pd and Fife) any one else know any other ones? Any help would be great.

Forum Member

Cities of DuPont, Bonney Lake, Normandy Park.

Forum Member

Most of the agencies on the East side of the mountains all have a reserve programs.

Aspiring LEO
    I saw a link on Lakewood's page as well......does anyone know if they're actively looking for reservists?
    Refuse to be a victim-Support Concealed Carry

Forum Member

Lakewood does in deed have a reserve program. http://lakewoodpdreserves.com

Most cites in Pierce County have reserve program including Pierce County. I would make a list of every police department in the area and just start calling.

I will also send a PM on this.

Forum Member
    Clark County Sheriff's Office has a reserve program as well. You can find more information at: http://www.clark.wa.gov/sheriff/enfo...t/reserve.html

Forum Member
    Lake Stevens has one up north, but they haven't been hiring for that for quite a while (to my knowledge)- http://www.ci.lake-stevens.wa.us/pol...ve_officer.htm

Not a reserve position, but Lynnwood has an excellent citizen's patrol / academy that would look good on a resume.

Not sure of any other reserve programs up north.

Forum Member

The Clark County reserves look really good, they're testing this month. The reserve program is a really good way to learn and volunteer, while keeping your regular job.

In some states, you can transition from reserve to full time with very little extra training. Is this the case in WA?

Forum Member
    County Guy, in Washington State an individual must attend the 720 hour BLEA course to obtain their certification. Holding a reserve peace officer certification does not change that requirement.
    Life is too short to cry about yesterday.

Forum Member

Puyallup PD has reserves.

Forum Member

Testing for Lacey Reserves at the end of this month....

Forum Member

Buckley (Pierce Co) & Carnation/Duvall has reserves. Kittitas County has a pretty good program. Kent PD had a few reserves, I am not sure if they are basically phasing out their program or if it's a program where you basically have to ask about it to get the info since they never "recruit". I also heard that King County had/has a small program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xjman1990 View Post
    I am trying to look at becoming a Reserve Police officer till i can get picked up for a full time LEO, I know of a few reserves (shelton pd and Fife) any one else know any other ones? Any help would be great.
    This type of question always makes me scratch my head. As a Reserve Officer/Deputy, you have to go through the same basic hiring steps as a regular PO or Deputy and it can take just as long to get an offer. If your ultimate goal is to be a full time cop, why not just keep testing until you get hired since it is essentially the same process? Apply to places that you want to work and keep testing until you get hired. If you can complete the hiring process and get on as a Reserve, there is no reason that you wouldn't be able to get on as a regular full time PO or Deputy. Just my 2 cents....

Forum Member

Very good point, i have had a lot of people ask me this. So here is my answer.

There are two main reasons:

1. Full time Police work is such a competitive and the hiring pool is so much larger as you have all entry levels and laterals wanting to be hired in this poor economic times we have among us. So testing with reserves the pools are smaller as most people do not want to volunteer their time in harm’s way much rather get paid, most people don’t want to have to pay for their background checks, academy ect. (it’s a tax deduction)

2. If i can’t land a full time LEO career by the time i get out of the military which is just in time for the reserve academy to start i can be a reserve police officer and go to school full time on the GI Bill and have the triple threat (military, college degree, and reserve police officer) to back me up when i start applying for the full time LEO as well as a few years the economy will much better hopefully.

With that said i am still testing with full time LEO departments as well as starting to do reserve. In this field of work it's all about having your foot in the door. Guess what, a reserve police officer would most likely be hired over a normal "Joe" applicant that applies at the department that reserve is a volunteer for..

I hope this answered your questions and kind of shined a little light behind my madness.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by County222 View Post
    County Guy, in Washington State an individual must attend the 720 hour BLEA course to obtain their certification. Holding a reserve peace officer certification does not change that requirement.
    Actually the reserve academy is not like the full time academy. The reserve academy is 233. But I think the Fife academy bumps that up to 300 hours.

CTJC - Reserve Academy Link

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRover View Post
    This type of question always makes me scratch my head. As a Reserve Officer/Deputy, you have to go through the same basic hiring steps as a regular PO or Deputy and it can take just as long to get an offer. If your ultimate goal is to be a full time cop, why not just keep testing until you get hired since it is essentially the same process? Apply to places that you want to work and keep testing until you get hired. If you can complete the hiring process and get on as a Reserve, there is no reason that you wouldn't be able to get on as a regular full time PO or Deputy. Just my 2 cents....
    For someone in my shoes, it's a very good opportunity- I hold a full-time, professional job. I am a veteran, I have a BA degree, but I've been testing now for 3 years and it would be nice to be able to put an updated resume bullet and have opportunity for police work while continuing to apply.

Plus, never doubt the power of marketing. If you're known as a damn-fine reserve cop with a department, you'll make a reputation, and when it comes time for them to look over your qualifications and they contact the department you're a reserve with, it'll redoubtably help with your consideration.

Not sure about other departments, but Fife gives you 3.5 percent on your score for being a reserve with them, and I think 7% if you are a reserve over 2 years. For someone who is starting college and has some time, it's a great opportunity to gain some preference points and get to know your future (potential) department.

Forum Member

Do you think a city is more willing to hire people to who want to become a reserve only, than those who want to become full time officers? Seems to me they would want to spend the time and effort only people who think will stick around.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CountyGuy View Post
    Do you think a city is more willing to hire people to who want to become a reserve only, than those who want to become full time officers? Seems to me they would want to spend the time and effort only people who think will stick around.
    I personally would think this would be an agency by agency concern. And IF the agency makes you pay for everything then there is minimal risk. Other than training costs. Obviously if you go in there with the intentions of purely just being a reserve until you get picked up then I would they would also be less interested in you. But at the same time they know there is going to be attrition with reserves who want to become full time. So I would agree to some degree.

Forum Member

Yep, I know some make you pay for everything including the gear/background and training costs.
    I was just curious what others think.
    I know of people who were reserves for while and discovered the job wasn't for them, and other who loved it and became full time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CountyGuy View Post
    Yep, I know some make you pay for everything including the gear/background and training costs.
    I was just curious what others think.
    I know of people who were reserves for while and discovered the job wasn't for them, and other who loved it and became full time.
    Agreed. As much as there is a cost for a reserve it's a great recuitment tool for the agency to kind of try before they buy. I know I have been asked to go full time several times.

Forum Member

I passed my PAT for Lacey on Saturday, boy was that different!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjman1990 View Post
    I passed my PAT for Lacey on Saturday, boy was that different!
    How was it different?

Forum Member

they used the state of Virgina police exam PAT, you pretty much chase a perp through a course all with in 2 mins
    Last edited by xjman1990; 05-05-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Forum Member

Oral Board Monday at 5:55pm!

Forum Member

Oral board complete. I think it went well but now i just have to wait and see. Group board is way different than anything else i have done.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last