Forum Member

Ruger LCP vs. Taurus 708 SLIM (CCW)

I'm looking at picking up a CCW for on duty and off duty.
    Most likely inside my body armor on duty, and either in a CC hip holster, my back pocket, or a leg holster off duty.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html

I felt both of these in my local shop. Nice feel, triggers were good on both, Ruger had a MUCH better magazine and magazine well...I think the Taurus had some stupid feature that force you to hold the magazine release in when you put the magazine in; otherwise it get's about 50% in and stops, that seems like it could be dangerous in a pinch.

Sights on both guns sucked; looked like spray and pray sights. Ruger also had a slightly better "quality feel."

Any opinions? The guns are about the same price.

Wrong Place, Right Time.
    PM"d ya with info
    ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    The problem with the Taurus is that it's a Taurus and I will never recommend anyone to carry one into harms way. If you want a good vest gun in 9mm look at the Ruger LC9, Kahr PM9 (or CM9 which is just as good for almost half the price... coming out soon) or a subcompact version of whatever your duty weapon is. I've seen feed issues with the 709 slim and would not trust one with my life.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Retired Lawdog
    It sounds like you already know which is the better pistol, but the Ruger customer service is fantastic.

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
    Toby Keith

Mega Infidel
    If those two are the only option or choices, then I'll go with Ruger. Taurus makes fantastic revolvers and 1911s, but any other autoloaders are hit or miss.

Ruger does need some break in period. These pocket pistols are not for precision shooting, but more like point and shoot in short distance, so relying on sights will not do much good for you. If you want to get fancy, you can always add Crimson Trace laser sight.

I've tried pretty much all before I decided on my small pocket rocket, but only gun that I really liked and worked was Rohrbaugh R9.

NOT banned
    If you get the LCP, polish the feed ramp....corbon makes a good round
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Forum Member

A quick google revealed that the 708 and 709 are roughly the same size, why not go 9x19 instead of 380 ?

Model: 708B Finish: Blue Status: Coming Soon
    Caliber: .380 ACP Grips: Polymer Grips UPC: 7-25327-60809-7
    Capacity: 7 +1 Weight: 19 oz. Barrel Length: 3.20"
    Action: DA/SA Length: 6.24" Safety: Trigger Block
    Order #: 1-70831 MSRP: $483.00 Rear Sight: Adjustable

Model: 709B Finish: Blue Status: Available
    Caliber: 9 mm Grips: Checkered Polymer UPC: 7-25327-60562-1
    Capacity: 7 +1 Weight: 19 oz Barrel Length: 3"
    Construction: Steel Frame: Compact Action: SA/DA
    Front Sight: Fixed Length: 6" Order #: 1-709031
    MSRP: $483.00

or even 40 if your duty gun is a 40 ?

Model: 740B Finish: Blue Status: Available
    Caliber: .40 Grips: Polymer Grips UPC: 7-25327-60807-3
    Capacity: 6 +1 Weight: 19 oz. Barrel Length: 3.20"
    Action: DA/SA Length: 6.24" Order #: 1-740031
    MSRP: $483.00 Rear Sight: Adjustable
    Last edited by willbird; 04-06-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Forum Member
    The Kahr CM9 is the way to go especially for a bargain..but if money isn't the issue go up a notch and go with the Kahr PM40..
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1garand View Post
    If those two are the only option or choices, then I'll go with Ruger. Taurus makes fantastic revolvers and 1911s, but any other autoloaders are hit or miss.

Ruger does need some break in period. These pocket pistols are not for precision shooting, but more like point and shoot in short distance, so relying on sights will not do much good for you. If you want to get fancy, you can always add Crimson Trace laser sight.

I'm a gun snob too, I like H&K and collector Colt models as well even though their customer service SUCKS..but don't say Taurus isn't reliable because they all make a lemon now and then. I have a Taurus PT99 I got in the 90's that is identical but actually better made than a Beretta 92FS and it'll shoot circle's around many firearm's out there. Taurus has come a very long way especially in their revolvers as well.

Forget all the semi's for a back up pocket or ankle or vest gun..if you have the money go with a smith j frame, if you want value go with a taurus five shot or charter arms.
    I've tried pretty much all before I decided on my small pocket rocket, but only gun that I really liked and worked was Rohrbaugh R9.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Forum Member
    My recollection of forum lore is that the Taurus Slim will need some work to get it 100%. Lots of people sent theirs back for service (and Taurus paid shipping both ways and fixed things promptly) before they were happy. Then again, the same might be said of a lot of these tiny pistols. My Keltec p3at took 50 rounds to break in and then has been solid, so I imagine the Ruger will be the same.
    **Not a LEO**

Forum Member

I have a Taurus PT709 slim and absolutely love it. There is no shortage of negative feedback on the Taurus, but I guess I got lucky. It shot spectacular right out of the box at 7-10 yards. I put a CT laser grip on it and it is my wifes primary ccw gun. I really like shooting it to. I feel better with the 9mm over the .380 in terms of stopping power. I really like it. Just my $.02

Forum Member
    My girlfriend bought a Taurus PT709 slim a couple summers ago for off duty carry. At first, it jammed badly and we sent it back. I believe it was an ejector issue, I don't really remember. Regardless...about 6 weeks later it was returned and hasn't jammed since. It eats ammo like a champ. It is good size and has decent sights. BUT...I hate shooting it. It just doesn't feel good in my hand, the best I can describe it is the trigger feels too close to the palm of my hand, perhaps the grip is just too narrow for me.

Can't complain on customer service though, they fixed the jamming issue and even polished the feed ramp beautifully.

Last summer she and I both bought LCP's. They are not fun to shoot because they are so tiny, but after a few hundred rounds they are both reliable and accurate at close range. We both wear them on our vests when on duty and are our exclusive off-duty weapons.

Her Taurus now lives in a night stand in the bedroom.
    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr