Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Fort Sam Houston AFB Police

I just got a tentative selection for Police officer for this base. Does anyone know what the AF process entails mainly Timeline, Process and physical agility test.

Yes I know it will be a pay cut for me, but job satisfaction is what I am looking for.
    Senior Correctional Officer
    FCI Dublin

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidergx View Post
    I just got a tentative selection for Police officer for this base. Does anyone know what the AF process entails mainly Timeline, Process and physical agility test.

Yes I know it will be a pay cut for me, but job satisfaction is what I am looking for.
    You should be set up at your closest base to have a pt test done and physical done. Then it should be a paperwork transfer. They will send you to the VA police academy for 8 weeks in Little Rock Ark.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member

Isn't the Basic Police Officer Course still 5 weeks?

Forum Member
    8 weeks now.
    Law Enforcement Officers Equity Act (H.R. 1362)
    Sign this petition that will change the retirement benefits for federal police officers currently not covered. No registration required.

Forum Member
    What are the requirements for the physical agility? Is there a body fat % you have to be at like the navy police? How long does the process usually take?
    FCI Dublin

One Night In Bangkok
    What are the requirements for the physical agility? Is there a body fat % you have to be at like the navy police? How long does the process usually take?
    The navy police dont do a body fat test that is the USMC police. The pt test for the af is a 1.5 mile run in 18 minutes, a sprinit, push ups and sit ups... New rules went into effect requiring that employees be hired on within 80 days of selection.

Forum Member
    Wow 80 days that is quick. That is probably why they picked me since I had a secret clearance with BOP already. Orlandofed5-0 do you have a link to where they show the pt requirements for all events?
    FCI Dublin

One Night In Bangkok
    Wow 80 days that is quick. That is probably why they picked me since I had a secret clearance with BOP already. Orlandofed5-0 do you have a link to where they show the pt requirements for all events?
    Not off hand.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MCSD View Post
    8 weeks now.
    When did this change go into effect?

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by I0347 View Post
    When did this change go into effect?
    October

Forum Member
    Anymore advice for me, while you guys squabble over the academy training time?
    FCI Dublin

Forum Member

Hi Raider,

Both inputs are correct...the AF has two courses at VaLETC at Little Rock...one a 5 week course for active duty installations, the other an 8 week course just for reserve bases.

The reserves move more of their training to the formal side at VaLETC, while the Active Duty bases will require more training prior to posting when you return from formal training.

After the conditional offer, you'll be required to get a private Dr to say you're okay medically to do the PAT test, and after you pass the PAT, the AF will provide a medical screening by an AF doctor. The reason for the two step process is that many people fail the test, and the medical screenings by AF/military doctors is costly.

The PAT is 29 sit ups, and 21 push ups, a 300 meter sprint in 81 seconds, and a 1.5 mile run in 17:30. Not too difficult.

So, if your private physician says you’re healthy enough to do the PAT, and you pass…and then you pass the medical screening --- you have a job!

I would like to know what sort of interview you had --- or was the selection done without an interview? Did they give you any sort of screening test to complete?
    Thanks,

Forum Member
    Matt,

No I just got the email saying I was tentatively selected and to reply all to the email that I accept. I did not have an interview. What about the background investigation doesn't that take some time? Or have they done a preliminary background already?
    FCI Dublin

Forum Member

background investigation

Matt,

No I just got the email saying I was tentatively selected and to reply all to the email that I accept. I did not have an interview. What about the background investigation doesn't that take some time? Or have they done a preliminary background already?
    Background investigations don't take meaningful time. The security clearance does takes time, but doesn't prevent you from training/posting...I thought that they would interview...and there is a short assessment that they usually give.

Forum Member
    How long does it take to be contacted after the Tentative offer?
    FCI Dublin

Forum Member

Why would you leave a covered position for a non-covered position with no promotion potential? Well, at least San Antonio is a nice place to be and cheap area to live in.

Forum Member
    Because working in a prison for the FBOP gets way boring and the scheduling getting out of hand. I rotate to all 3 shifts sometimes in the same week. Inmate wear on you. I would like to get my one year of 0083 experience then I can go to another 6c covered position.
    FCI Dublin

Hustler
    Because working in a prison for the FBOP gets way boring and the scheduling getting out of hand. I rotate to all 3 shifts sometimes in the same week. Inmate wear on you. I would like to get my one year of 0083 experience then I can go to another 6c covered position.

I will chime in here. What will doing 1 year as a 0083 get you? You are already covered, stay covered and apply elsewhere in the Govt. It may and will take you longer then one year to get hired on somewhere else and then you most likely will lose your time you have gained already. Just something to think about.

0083 police officer is not going to be the same as a street/beat cop in the civilian world. Some bases, yes, other bases no. Sam Houston....well have you ever been there?
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by matbo911 View Post
    Hi Raider,

Both inputs are correct...the AF has two courses at VaLETC at Little Rock...one a 5 week course for active duty installations, the other an 8 week course just for reserve bases.

The reserves move more of their training to the formal side at VaLETC, while the Active Duty bases will require more training prior to posting when you return from formal training.

After the conditional offer, you'll be required to get a private Dr to say you're okay medically to do the PAT test, and after you pass the PAT, the AF will provide a medical screening by an AF doctor. The reason for the two step process is that many people fail the test, and the medical screenings by AF/military doctors is costly.

The PAT is 29 sit ups, and 21 push ups, a 300 meter sprint in 81 seconds, and a 1.5 mile run in 17:30. Not too difficult.

So, if your private physician says you’re healthy enough to do the PAT, and you pass…and then you pass the medical screening --- you have a job!

I would like to know what sort of interview you had --- or was the selection done without an interview? Did they give you any sort of screening test to complete?
    Thanks,

If you have a current 78, AFPC will allow you to use it for the pt test.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Sam Houston....well have you ever been there?

Only thing he will be dealing with is lots of AF Basic Training kids being stupid.....

If the OP is looking for "Street Time" as a 0083 with the military, Fort Hood, Fort Bragg, Fort Carson, Fort Riley, Fort Stewart, and Fort Drum would be much better places.......
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 04-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Only thing he will be dealing with is lots of AF Basic Training kids being stupid.....

If the OP is looking for "Street Time" as a 0083 with the military, Fort Hood, Fort Bragg, Fort Carson, Fort Riley, Fort Stewart, and Fort Drum would be much better places.......
    Unfortunately, he is choosing a bad time to make the switch to DoD policing. Very few departments are able to hire. I was talking to the Ft Hood Training LT last week at the USAMPS Active Shooter Instructor Course. He said that they are short staffed but are unable to hire to fill those positions. Raidergx is about 1 year too late for those opportunities.
    Never ask a man if he served in the Marine Corps! If he earned the title "Marine" he will tell you, if he didn't, there is no need to embarrass him.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Re-Birth View Post
    Ft Hood.
    They don't even have a Assistant DES Director yet..... still not hired due to budget......

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post

Sam Houston when it was army was pretty active. I know they had a few shootings in the dorms. They also had motors there. Not sure what its like now with the AF running the show but Ive heard that the army isnt too happy.

One Night In Bangkok
    Pretty much 90% of the bases are under hiring freezes. And with the impending shutdown, its going to get worse....

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Sam Houston when it was army was pretty active. I know they had a few shootings in the dorms. They also had motors there. Not sure what its like now with the AF running the show but Ive heard that the army isnt too happy.
    That must be the SH side.....because from talking to the AF guys here.....Lackland is calm except for silly trainees being drama queens and kings.....

As for Joint Basing.... NO ONE is happy....trust me....

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last