Forum Member

how to properly tuck a uniform shirt in?

Ok, well I am somewhat new to all this. Right now I am using a military tuck or blouse when I tuck in my uniform shirts but when I stand up straight the sides of the blouse "fall back over" the sides of my body and back.(hard to explain but it looks stupid) I have tried the hidden tailor and shirt stays are uncomfortable to me so what other options are there to make my shirt look good? Example:

http://www.perfectionuniformsstore.com/

the guy in the top rightish corner, his uniform is so seamless and perfect, how does he do it?!(sorry for the bad example) Is it tailoring or am I missing something? Thanks for any responses and ahead of time, sorry if this is a dumb post but I honestly do not know and it is driving me insane!

Forum Member
    He is prepped and posed for the camera.

Meaning, he has dressed for the photo, with as little movement afterward as possible in order to look good.

Unless you are a product model for Gall's or Quartermaster, don't expect to see an actual police officer look like that unless it is for ceremonial or formal purposes...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner.K19 View Post
    He is prepped and posed for the camera.

Meaning, he has dressed for the photo, with as little movement afterward as possible in order to look good.

Unless you are a product model for Gall's or Quartermaster, don't expect to see an actual police officer look like that unless it is for ceremonial or formal purposes...
    Good point, didn't think of that. Only used that as an example because most of the lieutenants where I work have a very similar look to that. Can you offer any advice on how exactly to be tucking a uniform shirt in? I appreciate the help.

Forum Member
    Some of it may have to do with your body type. Because of my shape, I have rarely been able to look as sharp as I wanted to, while I've seen others wearing the same size uniform look like flippin' Captain America. Frustrating. All I could ever do was make sure my gig line was straight and my shoes were super-polished. I might have overcompensated with my shoes.

BTW, I'm a skinny 5'9" but I have the arms and legs of someone 6". This means that I generally have too much shirt to tuck in, and the shoulders are too wide for my frame. Ectomorph, sigh.
    Last edited by Unistat; 03-19-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Forum Member
    shirt stays are the way to go...you do get use to them

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
    Some of it may have to do with your body type. Because of my shape, I have rarely been able to look as sharp as I wanted to, while I've seen others wearing the same size uniform look like flippin' Captain America. Frustrating. All I could ever do was make sure my gig line was straight and my shoes were super-polished. I might have overcompensated with my shoes.

BTW, I'm a skinny 5'9" but I have the arms and legs of someone 6". This means that I generally have too much shirt to tuck in, and the shoulders are too wide for my frame. Ectomorph, sigh.
    Hmm good point. Im 6'1" with a medium to skinnier build.(working on getting bigger) That could be why. I think I am a mesomorph with a little ecto haha.

As far shirt stays, I guess I can give them a try. Nothing to lose right?

Operation:JustifyPaycheck
    The guys in the catalogs have the shirts tailored to fit them perfectly.

The companies that make shirts (Flying Cross and all the rest) want to give you the impression that you'll look just as sharp when you order their shirts.

Most guys don't have a 46" chest with a 32" waist. If you order a 16x35, you're going to be swimming in it unless you get it tailored. Even the Hidden Tailor or shirt stays will only disguise the problem.

If you really want to look sharp, the key is to get measured for the tailoring while you're wearing your vest. Otherwise you'll look like you're crammed into the shirt.

Forum Member
    We have a sergeant that looks like a guy in the picture, but then once he gets in one position he rarely leaves it.

I wear at 16.5 x 35. The shoulders and collar fit. I get the sides tapered, and there's an obvious difference in the appearance of the shirt afterwards. I also got a tip from a guy on this website about using a "military tuck" to tuck in my shirts. It works pretty well. I used to do something similar to the sides rather than the back.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by espantoon View Post
    The guys in the catalogs have the shirts tailored to fit them perfectly.
    I was watching a morning show several years ago, and one of the episodes featured a former catalog model. They were talking about the clothes, and he mentioned that they'd tape, pin, or even cut the backs out of some garments to make them look right.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
    ...he mentioned that they'd tape, pin, or even cut the backs out of some garments to make them look right.
    That's how I get my pants to fit right...

Forum Member
    I have a size 15 neck, but would need a size 13 or 14 for the sides to not billow out, even with a vest on. I paid $10 per shirt to have the sides taken in, then wear shirt stays and do a slight military tuck and it looks sharp, IMHO. Doesn't do anything for making my arms look less like an ASP sticking out of the sleeves, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    I have a size 15 neck, but would need a size 13 or 14 for the sides to not billow out, even with a vest on. I paid $10 per shirt to have the sides taken in, then wear shirt stays and do a slight military tuck and it looks sharp, IMHO. Doesn't do anything for making my arms look less like an ASP sticking out of the sleeves, though.
    Sleeves can be tapered too, lol. It'll make your sticks look a little bigger.

Haterade Distributor
    Military tuck helps a lot. All you have to do is fold excess material underneath the sewn in creases in the back. It works even better if you use that in conjunction with shirt stays and the pants that have that rubber strip in them.

Forum Member

I have been doing the military tuck but none of my uniforms are tailored. Like I said I am working on gaining some healthy weight but if you get uniforms tailored, can they be put back or altered again? My biggest problem as people have stated above me, is I need the sides tapered. I did not know you could take the sleeves in as well. On two pairs of pants I need the waist adjusted as well. Also I have this problem with the legs of the pants being too "wide". Anyone else deal with this? Sometimes it looks like I am on my way to audition for an M.C. Hammer video. Thanks for all the help guys!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by changeover View Post
    I have been doing the military tuck but none of my uniforms are tailored. Like I said I am working on gaining some healthy weight but if you get uniforms tailored, can they be put back or altered again? My biggest problem as people have stated above me, is I need the sides tapered. I did not know you could take the sleeves in as well. On two pairs of pants I need the waist adjusted as well. Also I have this problem with the legs of the pants being too "wide". Anyone else deal with this? Sometimes it looks like I am on my way to audition for an M.C. Hammer video. Thanks for all the help guys!
    I'm also trying to gain weight, but know I won't be able to gain enough to make the shirt fit properly. If you are, by the time the weight is on, you will be ready to order new shirts anyway from general wear and tear. If they are taken in, they usually can't be let back out unless whoever does it leaves the excess inside the shirt, but then you will still have the bulk and the shirt will have a lot of sowing holes down the sides.
    As for the pants, I had to have mine taken in as well. When they aren't baggy, you don't look like as small of a person and the legs don't flair. Though it would be possible to get the legs trimmed, it would be a lot of work and I wouldn't suggest it. I am 5'8, 125, so no uniform really fits me well unless I have it tailored. If you have access to a military base, the people at the dry cleaners are really good at pinning and sowing and will hook you up right. If not, a regular seamstress can still do great work, just make sure they know what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member

Go get your uniforms tailored...best money spent. Looks are a big percentage of the job. Get you pants with a dress hem (slanted) and have the shirts tapered on the sides and the sleeves taken in.

A tailored uniform WILL look like the picture you linked to...just look at me

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    The only real answer.^^^^

They problem of popping off can be eliminated easily, and the hair pulling stuff is overblown.

If you want to keep your shirt tucked in and wrinkle free, thats really the only way.

victis honor
    ^^^^^^^second^^^^^^
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Night Watchman
    I recommend the stirrup style shirt stays...

http://www.amazon.com/Stirrup-Style-.../dp/B001LQ5LT2

Forum Member

I have a good tailor who customizes all my uniform shirts. She gives a huge LE discount and I only pay about $10 per uniform garment from her. I find that it is the best way to look good in my uniform and also stay the most comfortable.

I tried shirt stays, hidden belt thingie, military tuck. You're not going to look like Capt. America after jumping a few fences or bending over to pick up your dropped item. I just get the circumfrence of my top tailored to the point that I don't need any type of fold over or Military tuck to make it look good.

Just take your top to a tailor along with your body armor. Put your armor and top on and have them tailor it to your body and you won't be disappointed.

Forum Member

thanks guys for all the help, Im bringing my stuff down tomorrow to get tailored.

Forum Member
    Ask this guy. No matter what he seems to get into his uniform never looks sloppy.

Last edited by MDPOLICE; 04-06-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Salty Dog

I wish they'd make shirts for officers who are in shape. I wear 17-1/2 neck shirts, but the waist easily has six to eight spare inches. Here's a thought: Make the standard cut for in-shape officers, and make the fat guys have to get the custom tailoring.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

What's a B Boy?
    Quote Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
    I wish they'd make shirts for officers who are in shape. I wear 17-1/2 neck shirts, but the waist easily has six to eight spare inches. Here's a thought: Make the standard cut for in-shape officers, and make the fat guys have to get the custom tailoring.
    +1000

Forum Member

I know I am bumping my old thread a bit but I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone who posted in here. I finally got around to getting my pants/shirts tailored and bought a pair of stirrup style shirt stays and I LOVE them. I look so much more crisp and clean and my shirt actually stays tucked in for the most part. Thanks guys! Now if I could only get my department to change the color style of our uniforms....