Summer Rain

Question Secret Squirrel... what is this?

Okay guys, this may be a stupid question. But I've never heard this term before getting into law enforcement. What exactly is meant by it, and where did this term come from?

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Summer Rain ]

Niteshift

Been around forever. If I remeber right, there was a cartoon character that the phrase was based on.

Sparky

"Super Secret Squirrel to Morocco Mole. Come in Morocco Mole!"

We could tell you...but it's strictly Super Secret Squirrel Stuff.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Sparky ]

Summer Rain

Red face

Awww come on Sparky... that's not right!

Sparky

Sorry, Super Secret Squirrel Stuff (SSSS). You have to know the Super Secret Squirrel Handshake and have the Super Secret Squirrel Decoder Ring in order to get in to the Super Secret Squirrel Secret Hideout.

I will tell you that our Super Secret Squirrel Official Breakfast Cereal is Honeycomb!

DesertRat

Sparky: What was your favorite episode, the Sub-swiper in season 1 or the Pink Sky Mobile in season two. Set your super secret squirrel decoder ring to setting 4-B to transmit your reply. Summer Rain may be eavesdropping.

vbrenner

OK, I will give it a shot. At least around here, it is junior narc patrol officers who act secretive and go into "special operative" mode when on a dope case. Working dope is great, but not at the neglect of calls for service.

Summer Rain

Sparky and Desert Rat... you guys know you aren't right.. that's okay though. Thanks VbrennerI did my own little research and I think I know what the term means. You guys are just telling your age by being so familiar with "Secret Squirrel" lol

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Summer Rain ]

Glock

Secret Service.

Jim Burnes

Silent Service

klar

dang it I hate when my decoder ring jambs what was that setting again 4-B?

Klar

Sparky

ontday alktay boutay hetay ecretsay odecay! LOL!

Sparky
    Eyeball
    Big Boy
    Gulf
    Blue Line
    Lollipop
    Five
    Four
    Two
    Three
    Turtle
    Six
    Five
    Three

Tee Hee Hee!

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Sparky ]

me again

It is anyone who works in secret (usually narcotics detectives-- they are the real secret squirrels).

Sparky

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yes, Summer, the term is often used to describe junior narcotics/OC or other covert investigation types who take OPSEC to a whole new level when uneccessary to do so. While I am a big proponenet of good OPSEC, some guys lack a certain "situational awareness" about the whole thing. Ironically, when it really matters, they are the ones who can't keep a secret worth a darn. They'll pull every officer aside that they can find and give them the "Super Secret Squirrel Scoop". ---[i]"Man! You can't tell ANYONE about this, but I know I can trust YOU. (Looks over both shoulders, and whispers) We're setting up on some guys on the East side tonight. We got some good info from Huggy Bear and we're gonna do a buy." Of course, our Super Secret Squirrel Buddy gives this tidbit of info to EVERY cop on the shift. One of whom will eventually tell the Mapco clerk, who then tells the rest of the shift and her hairdresser. And one of them will tell a dispatcher, who then in turn tells the other shifts.

These type guys are often used to spread dis-information are are kept out of the loop on "real" operations. "Hey buddy, we need you to go out to the rest stop and watch for a green toyota. Just take notes if you see one, and don't get on the radio." Of course, there is no green Toyota.

It's also used as a tongue in cheek way of saying something is on the QT. "Hey, man. Are we doing that Super Secret Squirrel stuff tonight?" Translation: "Hey, man. Are we still going to try that buy on the high school principal tonight?"

Has also been known to be fought over for use as a call sign on radio comms where you "talk code" (see above).

Super Secret Squirrel has also been seen on unofficial unit patches for covert investigation units.

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Sparky ]

Summer Rain

Talking

Thanks Sparky... that was like pulling teeth! Sounds like Chris Tucker in the first Rush Hour movie. I get the idea, thanks!

swatbwana

Sparky,
    you have been drummed out of the Super Secrect Squirrel club.
    Turn your decoder ring and trenchcoat in to the moving shrub to right of your computer and tell agent 86 that the chief wants to know who broke the dome of silence.
    and by the way
    "the dog is on the table"

"pistachio please and hold the nuts"

[ 09-14-2001: Message edited by: swatbwana ]

Sparky

But I'm already on NOC!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!