Forum Member

Question The Academy: Highs And Lows

I'm curious about what someone would have to look forward to in a police academy.

-What were some of the hardest parts of the academy? (boring, challenging, tough to train to do)
    -Relatively, what were some of the easiest things about attending the academy.
    -What were some people's favorite parts?
    -Anything you thought would ruin your chances of graduation?
    -Any tips for something that gave you difficulty?
    -General thoughts and tips about your time in the academy?

Forum Member

I don't really look forward to being pepper sprayed and have some apprehension about some of the scenario practice and fire arm practice, mainly the pressure to perform correctly in front of the platoon and instructors. I'll get used to it though.
    I am really looking forward to being tazed. I am a little worried about loosing muscle control and embarrassing myself. :-) And, of course, I am looking forward to graduation. A good goal to keep me focused during some more difficult parts. I think I will do pretty well with the classroom aspect of it, as well as target shooting from a normal stance with my strong arm, and should have pretty good results with weak arm and one handed shooting. I do have trouble running for extended distance right now, but believe in mind over matter and have started trying to become a stronger runner. Hey, I passed the 1.5 mile run in 12 minutes. ;-)

Forum Member

Yeah don't look forward to the OC Spray day...It'll ruin your life. Start training for longer distance runs; I trained like crazy before the Academy and ended up flying through PT.

-Hardest part for me; forensic science. The majority of that class was knitty gritty science that the average police officer never comes into contact with. (Using a gas-chromatograph, electron microscope, etc.)
    -Easy about the Academy? Ehhh...Good luck with that one. lol
    -Favorite parts: EVOC(Emergency Vehicle Operations Certification), Firearms, Defensive Tactics.
    -Never worried about anything that would effect my graduation. Was more concerned with winning an award at the end.
    -Something that I struggled with was defensive tactics(even though it was one of my favorite classes), some of the more complicated maneuvers with lots of movements (like "The flow") really made my brain fry, and it usually took me longer to learn the complicated moves. Then the DT Instructor told me to start practicing the moves at home with someone; I recruited my older brother, and soon after that I started getting good at DT.
    -Enjoy it, have fun, and MAKE lots of memories!!! You'll miss it when your graduated, believe it or not. One great memory for me, bunch of cadets including myself were relaxing in the sauna after a good work out....Well, one of our more mischievous cadets walks into the sauna room....grinning ear to ear...and directs a hose in my direction...he drenched me head to toe...I run after him, slip and fall straight on my chest...People were laughing for miles away. Good times. Make memories like that!

Forum Member

-What were some of the hardest parts of the academy?

Driving, that almost washed me out. We were taught to avoid cones, not drive. Very humbling. Some of the course lectures can be really lame, expecially if you get a poor instructor. Remember, academy instructors are not trained to teach like college professors. One needs a minimum amount of LEO experience to give a course, and sometimes that can lead to the academy having a very limited selection of instructors to select from.

Depends on your skill set, but no one failed for the written tests. Everyone got 90%+ on the final. Also, as long as folks pass the written exams there is no induced instructor stress.

Range was awesome. Others liked driving (I hated it). Generally, it’s between those two. If not for anything else I got to shoot a fully auto sub machinegun. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I will never get that opportunity anywhere else in my life.

With exception of driving which almost washed me out there are several things people washed out for. Injuries, integrity, range. The biggest thing is scenario tests. Folks get thrust into organic situations and only have their wits to work with. Also the person with the clip board is always in the back of your mind.

Just don’t get behind on course work. Don’t make excuses, and push through the BS. Push, push, push……

Stay on top of things and don’t fall into the trap of worrying about incidental things. You will be given a great deal of stress for an out of spec uniform. You won’t be hazed for a mediocre test score. Guess which one you can be failed out for, and guess which one you can’t?

Those will be different for you than they were me. My academy everything tested had to be passed with 80%+. So don’t try and be the best at your strength if you are at risk of failing something else. Work on your weakness.

I didn’t like how my class separated into cliques. I tried to mingle and it helped I was a class officer, but for the most part many socialized in their cliques.

Here’s what I mean. Military guys grouped together. Those who were hired grouped together, and then everyone else fended for themselves. The leadership of the class were all military, and the guys with jobs had an edge because their agencies pushed them harder and prepped them better to enter the academy.

So pretty much all the self sponsored recruits were falling left and right, and no one was there to push them when they needed it.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Forum Member

OH…….. my memory. We had a mock hands on direct traffic scenario. So we’re driving around in the cars, and we rotated who was directing traffic.

Now, keep in mind this is the VERY last day of instruction. We are not being tested on this, and graduation is the next morning, and we are at the end of the day.

Also, people had extra training OC spray on their belts.

So as you can imagine it basically turned into a spray fest with fake OC spay drive-bys. Everyone got tagged.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Forum Member
    Best Part: Hanging out with your fellow recruits and joking around.

Most Boring: Being stuck in a classroom for hours at a time.

Most Difficult: Defensive Tactics, it sucks getting slammed on the ground over and over again. Breaking fingers, ribs, and getting concussions. If I hear the words "Rear fall" ever again I will puke.

Easiest: They only easy day was yesterday.

Something that gave me difficulty other than DT: PT, Once your body gets used to running the miles and doing the pushups it becomes easy so I ended having to PT on my own because I would get out of shape on the weekends.

Best of luck buddy! This will be the most fun part of your career and enjoy every moment of it. Do not stick out and try to be a know it all because you will be crucified by your fellow recruits fast and you will be made fun of hourly so have thick skin.

Forum Member

I start the academy at 0700 Monday morning. The butterflies in my stomach are going crazy already. It has been a 2 YEAR wait, and now it's finally here. Right now I just look forward to putting that first day behind me. After that, I look forward to putting the first week behind me. I have no doubt it is going to be an absolute clusterf--- Monday morning. We're all getting there an hour early, but still no one really knows exactly what we're supposed to do.
    In the last week, I've gone on a couple of 4-5 mile runs with some of my classmates. Great group of guys and girls that I've met so far, and the team mentality is already there. We have officers from several different agencies around the country.. NYPD, Baltimore PD, Texas DPS. I look forward to learning from them.

Forum Member

I'm only a couple weeks into my academy. Start week 3 tomorrow. So far it's been boring subjects (health, fitness, history, ect) but the instructors have made them more interesting and easier to learn instead of just memorize. I'm not looking forward to getting the crap beat outta me but I know it will make me a better officer in the end.....so bring it on. Thing I'm looking forward to the most is gaining the knowlege that will keep me, my co-workers, and yes even my suspects alive. We still have some 'boring' subjects we need to get through before the more physical funner stuff comes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adeutch View Post
    Monday morning. We're all getting there an hour early, but still no one really knows exactly what we're supposed to do.
    That was the game with us as well. They wanted to see if we could decide on a uniform on our own. As I am writing this you’re likely getting yelled at, and by time you read it Monday will have come and gone.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Forum Member
    Our San Bernardino Sheriff's Academy class graduates next thursday... 23 weeks of pure work and hard times but all in all good times and we all endured it together.
    Best advice i can give is that never give up and always reach out for help, if you can't reach out for help here then you are going to have a hard time out in the field... teamwork. Everyone has their own strengths so learn from them.

Hold yourself like a chief or sheriff is always watching you because tac staff sees all believe it or not.

Best of luck to all in the academy or about to start one its a fun Stressful ride, glad im almost done.

Conservitum Americum
    Attention to detail.
    Good enough, isn't.
    If the instructor repeats themself, it's on the test.
    NO WAR STORIES!
    Don't lie.
    Obey ALL rules.
    Be on time all of the time.
    No excuses, if you screwed the pooch admit it and learn from it.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Whatever your weakness is, work on it, don't run from it. Be well balanced.

The academy can be a good experience at times and it can be bad also. You'll hate it, but in the end you'll love it and be glad you had the opportunity to meet new friends and people that will be there for you. You'll share a bond that'll never break, no matter how far apart in life you may get. Somedays are better than others, but expect to feel like you can't do anything right while you're there. It's all mind games and the environment is purposely disassembled to cause chaos. In other words it's a part of the program. Before I went into the academy I was a sugar-coater; I was very politically correct all the time. Now, I'm much more confident and speak how I feel a lot more freely. I don't worry as much as I used to.
    <--- "The man"

Forum Member

Academy High:

Walking into the parking lot and finding the instructors patrol car running and unlocked. The day before he was warning us not to do that :P

Academy low:

Sitting through a lot of the classroom stuff. 8 hours of criminal low just takes it out of you. At the same time, I'm a good test taker, so the classroom was easiest for me.

Really though, I liked the academy. I made some of my best friends in the world in the academy. Even during the boring parts or the 3 mile runs, everyday was just hanging out with some cool dudes and learning how to be the police.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeptaCraig View Post
    I'm curious about what someone would have to look forward to in a police academy.

-What were some of the hardest parts of the academy? (boring, challenging, tough to train to do)
    1. Hardest part was staying awake during some of the law classes. Also learning EVO in a 'hoe was a real pleasure
    2. When it was the day before graduation and I could relax the night before knowing it was all over with. Oh and when we ran during PT. That was easy because I've always been a good runner.
    3. Shooting, DT, scenario training. Getting told "That was impressive" during one scenario during simunitions.
    4. Nope.
    5. Keep your ears and eyes open and shut your mouth and you will be just fine. Don't be that guy and you will have no trouble during the training.
    6. I really wish someone would of told me that if you wear boxers with a duty belt on, you will get a wedgie.

8" boots not 6".

Get your uniforms tailored so you don't look like crap.

Those cute girls you see around campus will get you in trouble with the administration.

If you are going into the Academy with a job, no body wants to hear about you complaining about your department cutting your pay by ten percent.
    Last edited by -Erik-; 03-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Forum Member

Thanks, everyone. EVERYTHING was a really good help and I feel better prepared. I will keep watching the forum and work on some of my weaknesses.

Stay safe!

Forum Member
    I don't really look forward to being pepper sprayed and have some apprehension about some of the scenario practice and fire arm practice, mainly the pressure to perform correctly in front of the platoon and instructors. I'll get used to it though.
    You are going to make mistakes and screw up during scenario training. Deal with it.

Making mistakes is part of the learning process. A mistake does not make you a failure, repetition of that same mistake does. Grow and learn from everything you do and what others do.

One more thing, you are from the moment you step foot into your Academy a Law Enforcement Professional. What you say and do while in the Academy, and yes even in your personal life, will reflect upon everyone in the profession. No body can tell, nor do they care, that you are not a Police Officer yet. Just being in a Police Academy is enough for anyone and everyone to judge you and thus judge the profession as a whole.

So please, act accordingly.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Forum Member

have some apprehension about some of the scenario practice and fire arm practice, mainly the pressure to perform correctly in front of the platoon and instructors.
    That's where people have a problem I think. Those that look like an idiot in practice and don't care they look like an idiot are the ones that don't look like an idiot come test time.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCV-Sop View Post
    That's where people have a problem I think. Those that look like an idiot in practice and don't care they look like an idiot are the ones that don't look like an idiot come test time.
    Yeah. I realized messing up in the academy isn't held against you as much as I may have thought. Cadets are expected to mess up and to make corrections from the instructors criticism.

Forum Member
    one thing that will help in numerous ways- come together as a class quickly. work together and pick each other up. I promise your instructors will notice and it will help.

Forum Member
    Hardest part: Dealing with petty drama between classmates. Most fun: Finding ways to make fun of the instructors without them knowing it!!! For instance when an instructor came near us we had to say "Instructor on deck" like Marine boot Camp. Well it sounded to me like " I suck my own d!@#k" We had alot fun with that one. They never caught on and we did alot of pushups for laughing. Have fun and maintain your sense of humor.
    Rangers Lead The Way. " Crooks are people who don't want real jobs". " Those ain't my pants officer but the money in the pockets is mine".

Conservitum Americum
    In my day, I was already working for the PD on a shift then sent to the state academy. During the weekend, I had to work my regular evening shift both Saturday and Sunday. Back to the academy Sunday night after shift. 1.5 hour drive for me. Repeat for 12 weeks.Some guys got PD cars to drive I had my POV.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."