Page 2 of 67 First 123451252 ... Last
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Suffolk Correction Officer Test - 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 09fine View Post
    Can someone clarify this... top pay is 112k is that after four years??
    closer to mid 80's, and takes 6 steps (years)

Forum Member

academy is around 42-43k i think then goes up like 2-3k a year for a little bit i THINK...i know top end is around 86-90k and low end in academy and first year is like 42-46k somewhere around there

Forum Member

No Longer Available
    Last edited by galbau1; 05-02-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by galbau1 View Post
    do you know how long it takes to receive results, and if you are eligible to be hired? (hiring process)
    Well usually it's like 6 months to get results then another year or so before called maybe more but in this case they are in a rush to hire so they might get out the scores faster or just call after a couple or few months. They have a highering quota to fill in a short time so it be much faster if you score well maybe 3-5 months from when you take test or sooner. Or later lol

Forum Member

Do you receive extra points formliving in Suffolk county???

1148 on#6019 FDNY test. Class cancelled on me twice....god have mercy on the vulcans and judge

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcxsju17 View Post
    Do you receive extra points formliving in Suffolk county???

No you do not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PBXTech View Post
    No you do not.
    However..... Residence Requirement: There are no residence requirements to compete in this examination. In accordance with the provisions of Section 23 of the New York State Civil Service Law, **the Civil Service Department will give preference in certification to legal residents of Suffolk County**. To be deemed a legal resident of Suffolk County for the purpose of being granted preference as such, a candidate must have been a legal resident at the time of certification and for at least 90 calendar days prior thereto.
    Thats alot of legailize but i believe it means residents will get hired before non residents.

Forum Member

Heads Up. Free Public Seminars

Date:10/15/2011
    Location:Suffolk County CC, Crooked Hill Road, Brentwood, NY, The Van Nostrand Theater in the Sagtikos Arts Building
    Time: Saturday, 0900-1100 and 1230-1430

Date:10/22/2011
    Location:Suffolk County CC, 121 Speonk-Riverhead Road, Riverhead, NY, The Shinnecock Building, Room 101
    Time: Saturday, 0900-1100 and 1230-1430

Forum Member

does anyone know how long it could take to be hired with high test score?

Forum Member

What type of clothes are appropriate if you are attending one of the seminars? Thanks

Forum Member

There was no dress code stated. I would say a collared shirt and jeans would suffice but that's just me.

Forum Member

How do people score over 100 on this test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by isler45 View Post
    How do people score over 100 on this test?
    Veteran credits.

Forum Member

I just got back from one of the seminars. They give you a good idea of what the hiring process consists of and the type of stress that you will go through in the academy.

I have a question on residency as well though. That Correction Officer I posting states that you do not need to be a resident of SC to take the exam, but that as 09fine stated, "To be deemed a legal resident of Suffolk County for the purpose of being granted preference as such, a candidate must have been a legal resident at the time of certification and for at least 90 calendar days prior thereto." I am having some confusion on this now.

One of the seminar speakers (an investigator for SC) said that if you do not live in SC 90 days prior to receiving certification (the card you get in the mail that asks you whether or not you are still interested in the job), YOU WILL NOT BE PROCESSED at all. He was pretty clear about that.

However, the job posting, to me, states that you could be processed, just after the SC residents. I am inclined to listen to the investigator because he was saying how those who pass the test will be seeing him again as he does the BI.

..This puts me in a dilemma if I want to move to SC in order to possibly get the job. It makes it an urgent decision too because they said that the scores for this test will be back quicker than ever before, most likely in January, and then certification soon after. That would mean I would have to move in like 2 weeks . I don't know if its worth the cost of moving to get a possible job opportunity in a year or so.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Suffolk LI

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
    I just got back from one of the seminars. They give you a good idea of what the hiring process consists of and the type of stress that you will go through in the academy.

I have a question on residency as well though. That Correction Officer I posting states that you do not need to be a resident of SC to take the exam, but that as 09fine stated, "To be deemed a legal resident of Suffolk County for the purpose of being granted preference as such, a candidate must have been a legal resident at the time of certification and for at least 90 calendar days prior thereto." I am having some confusion on this now.

One of the seminar speakers (an investigator for SC) said that if you do not live in SC 90 days prior to receiving certification (the card you get in the mail that asks you whether or not you are still interested in the job), YOU WILL NOT BE PROCESSED at all. He was pretty clear about that.

However, the job posting, to me, states that you could be processed, just after the SC residents. I am inclined to listen to the investigator because he was saying how those who pass the test will be seeing him again as he does the BI.

..This puts me in a dilemma if I want to move to SC in order to possibly get the job. It makes it an urgent decision too because they said that the scores for this test will be back quicker than ever before, most likely in January, and then certification soon after. That would mean I would have to move in like 2 weeks . I don't know if its worth the cost of moving to get a possible job opportunity in a year or so.
    Hey "pizza" suffolk is honestly a great place to live, and i believe you would like it (just my opinion) but yes i understand it’s just hard to get up and move, i don’t know what town you live in now but if you need advice i will be glad to point out some good towns to live in, if you decide to move to suffolk and that goes for anyone who doesn’t live in suffolk. and i just wanna ask a question where are the testing locations for the Exam?

Forum Member

How did they say the hiring process would be? You think it will be quick? And I'm pretty sure you just have to move by the time you get the job. Living there 90 days prior to get hired would be insane and almost no one would have that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by not857 View Post
    How did they say the hiring process would be? You think it will be quick? And I'm pretty sure you just have to move by the time you get the job. Living there 90 days prior to get hired would be insane and almost no one would have that.
    I don’t know exactly how the hiring process will go but i will say this, you take the test, is you receive a passing grade then you go through the medical part and ect…….and you should get your score by Jan because they need officers, and by march is when they’ll be hiring because thats when the new jail is supposed to open… and well there giving you 3months to move i know for some thats hard but you also have to understand traveling from nassua or the city wherever you live to Riverhead EVERYDAY is insane Riverhead is and hour and a half drive even for some people who live in suffolk, so if you get called and wanna stay in nassua best of luck to you, you’re gonna be tired with that drive alone and then doing a 16 hour shift you’re gonna be dead tired

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

The investigator said that when you get the letter asking if you are interested still is about 90 days from when he gets the certification list, so if you get the letter and have not moved you need to asap. No need to move now, but I would start planing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by not857 View Post
    They said that the results from the test should be out by January and depending how things are a class will start around June. And you need to be a resident of Suffolk 90 days prior to the certification list coming out. They made it very clear that residency is a very big thing for them. I would highly suggest getting out to one of the last seminars this weekend, lot's of little things that will help you down the road with the process.

not the "UF" kind

working in Riverhead would be an AWESOME commute, too bad I didnt sign up. Im not a big fan of jails anyway.

good luck guys

Forum Member

how many do you think are taking the test and then to be hired? is it a good chance with a score about ~90 to be hired first time around?

Forum Member

80^ should make the cut
    Opt810 likes this.

Forum Member

hello everyone I am going to see if I can help out with some of these answers......I went to the seminar in riverhead and I worked for nassau non law enforcement.... first off With the residency Part, At the seminar I went to in riverhead the Investigator said what "Pizza" posted which is u need to have 90 days prior to receiving the certification card. he stressed that also because ppl were asking alot about that.... I would listen mostly to him because civil service has nothing to do with that and on suffolk county civil service website it says on every examination list " That all statements and backgrounds of successful candidates are Subject to INVESTIGATION BY APPOINTING AUTHORITY. which means listen to the investigator from the sc sheriff. To me suffolk is great so if u have to move or make arrangements I would do so, and also they are going to have more civil service test than NASSAU OR THE CITY BECAUSE THEY ARE BOTH ARE ON A HIRING FREEZE! I was working for Nassau but now they are laying off everyone. If u look at suffolk tho they have alot of civil service test ( Even more NON Law enforcement) this year alone in law enforcement suffolk county police , Corrections officer , Court Officer (Town / Village), code enforcement officer , (islip) Airport guard , Principal Probation Officer, and as I stated before at the seminar the second guy in command ( of the sheriff Dept ) said that next year around april would be another Sheriff deputy test.

Question 2 : Alot of people have been asking about whats a good score and how many People may get hired ?

first off let me stress from going to the seminar THEY NEED PEOPLE !!!! THIS IS NOT LIKE THE SUFFOLK POLICE TEST WHERE 80 MILLION PEOPLE TAKE THE TEST AND WHEN U LOOK AT THE ACADEMY pic ITS 20 OFFICERS. at the seminar they said that they had to go all the way down the current Correction officer list to people that got a 70 and just passed !!! So if u ever taken a civil service test u know THAT NEVER HAPPENS Ever !!! So my whole point is to really try hard and score well ... theres a great chance u will be called. u have to say and this is a true statement and was mentioned at the seminar even if 3,000 people pass the test some people cant pass the physical test , mental test , and backround check..so that 3,000 goes down ALOT.

anymore questions post and I look every week or so .............. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Forum Member

I don't have a problem moving to suffolk 90 days before the cert card, however I do not want to find an apartment now knowing i may or may not get that cert card. so what is your advice on that? do they send a letter to you before hand asking if you are still interested, then i will move but for now, i just can not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ac316scu View Post
    The investigator said that when you get the letter asking if you are interested still is about 90 days from when he gets the certification list, so if you get the letter and have not moved you need to asap. No need to move now, but I would start planing
    Oh ok this makes my life much easier. Thank you for clearing that up. I have no problem living in SC, I actually really like it out there. I was just unsure of the exact time frame between taking the test and them getting the certification list. So that would mean around January I would have to move to SC. That should not be such a problem with a little planning.

To not857: I think you are pretty much guaranteed to get that cert card as long as you score well on the test.

I for one know I am capable of getting 95+ on the exam.

I appreciate the help guys who posted above, thanks a lot.

Time to get to studying

Page 2 of 67 First 123451252 ... Last