• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eitanca
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2010

Chance of Avoiding Speeding Fine

Hi,
    Got a speeding ticket for being paced at 55-60 in a 35 mph stretch of urban street. Ticket listed the violation as having occurred along a 1/3 mile stretch between two main cross-streets. But I began from a standing stop at a red light, accelerated to get ahead of the traffic in the adjacent lane so that I could move into it before arriving at a vehicle parked ahead and obstructing my lane. I then decelerated, checked my speedometer, and continued traveling at the speed limit. I was pulled over and ticketed about a 1/4 of a mile later, though, as I stated, I was definitely traveling within the speed limit at that point. Conditions were clear and dry. Traffic was light to middling.
    I did not explain to the office the reason for exceeding the speed limit at the time of being ticketed. In your opinion, is this a situation in which there any chance that this violation might be dismissed in court, or am I clearly guilty and wasting time by considering contesting?
    An additional relevant detail, I told the officer at the time of the ticket that "I guess I was eager to get home." Is this statement an admission of guilt that seals the deal?
  • Bearcat357
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by eitanca
    In your opinion, is this a situation in which there any chance that this violation might be dismissed in court, or am I clearly guilty and wasting time by considering contesting?
    Find out if the local court has driving school or alternative sentencing (Where you might have to some sort of civic duty like collect trash/help clean the dog pound for a few days in your spare time) and if you stay ticket free for XXX amount of days.....it goes away......

Other than that, man up and pay your fine...... You admitted to speeding and got caught.....

Comment

• 2wheeldep
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2008

Really now, who needs to speed up to 55-60 mph in a 35 zone to get ahead of traffic. I'm sure the officer was behind you and took off with you at the same pace. As soon as you hit an unsafe speed, the officer had the elements of the violation.

The vehicle code section 22350 cvc does not have an exemption for "speeding up to get ahead of traffic clause", which clears you of any wrong doing. In other words, pay the fine and go to traffic school and move on with your life.

Comment

• FireCop604
        "Livin' the dream..."
        • Aug 2007

Sticky Note right at the top of the page. http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ut-a-ticket...

It happens from time to time but you admitted guilt here and to the officer. I would pay the fine and move on.
        "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people f@ck, then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

• exComptonCop
          perspicacious pedagogue
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by eitanca
          Hi,
          Got a speeding ticket for being paced at 55-60 in a 35 mph stretch of urban street. Ticket listed the violation as having occurred along a 1/3 mile stretch between two main cross-streets. But I began from a standing stop at a red light, accelerated to get ahead of the traffic in the adjacent lane so that I could move into it before arriving at a vehicle parked ahead and obstructing my lane. I then decelerated, checked my speedometer, and continued traveling at the speed limit. I was pulled over and ticketed about a 1/4 of a mile later, though, as I stated, I was definitely traveling within the speed limit at that point. Conditions were clear and dry. Traffic was light to middling.
          I did not explain to the office the reason for exceeding the speed limit at the time of being ticketed. In your opinion, is this a situation in which there any chance that this violation might be dismissed in court, or am I clearly guilty and wasting time by considering contesting?
          An additional relevant detail, I told the officer at the time of the ticket that "I guess I was eager to get home." Is this statement an admission of guilt that seals the deal?
          How fast were you traveling before you "decelerated, checked your speedometer, and continued traveling at the speed limit?" If this speed and the speed the officer paced you are one and the same(hint: 55-60mph), there is a an excellent chance the officer was behind you all along. Also, people who aren't speeding, don't usually say "I guess I was eager to get home." Do they?
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

• PhilipCal
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2004

Ding, ding, ding, and yet another poster approaching a Law Enforcement forum for advice on beating a traffic citation. Well, I for one, want to make your effort worthwhile, so here's the free advice you so eagerly sought. You have two basic options, here they are:
            1). Pay the citation-move on. A valid thought especially considering that you've already admitted guilt.
            2). Contest the citation. If you exercise this option, the Officer will be subpeone'd and you will both testify. The court will decide. Keep in mind that pace clocking is an acceptable means of determining speed.

And, here's the part you've probably been waiting for. I believe in California, that it's possible to request Defensive Driving or Driver's School as an alternative to a fine/points. You may wish to inquire about this. Understand, that if this is offered as an option, you'll be required to successfully complete the school. Perhaps in the future, you won't be so "eager to get home". BTW, the Officer can testify to the effect that you made that statement.

Comment

• mdtapd
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2010

Im not sure in cali but in maryland we offer probation before judgement which is for 1st time offenders that plead guilty and explain the situation... Basically if you have a clean record they offer it to you and you cannot appeal.. then you must keep your record clean for a few years.
              No, maybe I can't win. Maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know.

Comment

• BigW
                Sh#% Magnet
                • Jul 2010

I'm not sure what the problem is here? You sped, you got caught, and now you don't want to be held responsible for your actions? I have a hard time following your logic.

Comment

• RoadKingTrooper
                  Have gun......will travel
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BigW
                  I'm not sure what the problem is here? You sped, you got caught, and now you don't want to be held responsible for your actions? I have a hard time following your logic.
                  LOL plus he confessed!
                  "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

• HotSoup
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                    Ding, ding, ding, and yet another poster approaching a Law Enforcement forum for advice on beating a traffic citation. Well, I for one, want to make your effort worthwhile, so here's the free advice you so eagerly sought. You have two basic options, here they are:
                    1). Pay the citation-move on. A valid thought especially considering that you've already admitted guilt.
                    2). Contest the citation. If you exercise this option, the Officer will be subpeone'd and you will both testify. The court will decide. Keep in mind that pace clocking is an acceptable means of determining speed.

And, here's the part you've probably been waiting for. I believe in California, that it's possible to request Defensive Driving or Driver's School as an alternative to a fine/points. You may wish to inquire about this. Understand, that if this is offered as an option, you'll be required to successfully complete the school. Perhaps in the future, you won't be so "eager to get home". BTW, the Officer can testify to the effect that you made that statement.
                    PhillipCal maybe there was a treacherous wench that somehow made him go really fast and it's her fault LOL

Comment

• PhilipCal
                      Forum Member
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by HotSoup
                      PhillipCal maybe there was a treacherous wench that somehow made him go really fast and it's her fault LOL
                      Yeah, hadn't thought of that. It's amazing how those treacherous wenches get around.

Comment

• ryker
                        nom de plume
                        • Sep 2009

Your internal moral justified
                        Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 10:08 AM.
                        Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

• Bully
                          Your Daddy
                          • Sep 2006

Ok here we go again........Pay the fine and ask for traffic school. You are allowed to go to traffic school if you haven't gone in 18 months and your speed wasn't 25 mph over. Since the speed isn't the issue, have you been to traffic school in the past 18 months? There is a chance to go to traffic school a second time within 18 months but there's no guarantee that it will keep it off your record. Don't listen to your friends that talk about the distance the cop must follow you because there's no set distance. Don't try the whole "when was the patrol car's speedo calibrated" argument because it's standard that depts will have them certified every year minimum. Some agencies calibrate them quarterly. Just man up and take your lumps.
                          God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

• Buffaloboy
                            (--GOD--)
                            • Feb 2007

1lim·it
                            noun \ˈli-mət\
                            Definition of LIMIT
                            1a : something that bounds, restrains, or confines b : the utmost extent

2a : a geographic or political boundary b plural : the place enclosed within a boundary : bounds

3: limitation

4: a determining feature or differentia in logic

5: a prescribed maximum or minimum amount, quantity, or number: as a : the maximum quantity of game or fish that may be taken legally in a specified period b : a maximum established for a gambling bet, raise, or payoff

6a : a number whose numerical difference from a mathematical function is arbitrarily small for all values of the independent variables that are sufficiently close to but not equal to given prescribed numbers or that are sufficiently large positively or negatively b : a number that for an infinite sequence of numbers is such that ultimately each of the remaining terms of the sequence differs from this number by less than any given positive amount

7: something that is exasperating or intolerable

— lim·it·less\-ləs\ adjective
                            — lim·it·less·ly adverb
                            — lim·it·less·ness noun
                            Examples of LIMIT

1. He has reached the limit of his endurance.
                            2. In training, she pushed her body to its physical limits.
                            3. He tries to be creative within the limits of conventional journalism.
                            4. There are limits to what I can put up with from him!

Origin of LIMIT
                            Middle English, from Anglo-French limite, from Latin limit-, limes boundary
                            First Known Use: 14th century
                            Related to LIMIT
                            Synonyms: bound, boundary, cap, ceiling, confines, end, extent, limitation, line, termination
                            Related Words: extremity, fag end, terminus; border, brim, edge, margin, rim, verge; outside; bar, barrier, fence, hedge, restraint, stop, wall
                            Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

• Dingo990
                              Forum Member
                              • Jan 2010

Simple questions, where you speeding or not?

If so, the chances of getting out of the violation are slim. From your story, it sounds like you are admitting to driving like an a-hole... in the future, don't do that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 25980 users online. 66 members and 25914 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...