Thread: DUI certified

Forum Member

DUI certified

How many hours is the DUI certification for a police officer?

At your department, can reserves become DUI certified? (assuming reserve is a sworn position at your department)

Barefoot Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by headonstraight View Post
    How many hours is the DUI certification for a police officer?
    It depends on the course. Basic SFST is a 24 hour course around here, but most classes are now 40 hours to include drugged driving and some other concepts.

There is additional coursework available as well such as DRE school, video schools, breath analyst school, PBT schools, etc etc.

At your department, can reserves become DUI certified? (assuming reserve is a sworn position at your department)
    Yes.

Technically speaking, an officer doesn't have to go to SFST to arrest drunk drivers. The only thing that requires certification around here is HGN, PBT, and Intoximeter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Forum Member

As a reserve who is going to go full time in the future, what other certifications/classes should I take advantage of?

Barefoot Ninja
    As a reserve who is going to go full time in the future, what other certifications/classes should I take advantage of?
    Depends on your department and state really. The short answer is take any and all classes you can get your hands on.

If I had to prioritize them, I'd say: 1. SFST 2. Drugs that Impair 3. PBT certification 4. Breath Analyst

The odds of a department sending a reserve to DRE school are almost nil. Its an expensive course with LOTS of time commitment.

It's Complicated
    In Iowa you have to have completed a Implied Consent class....................I have no idea how long it is ---but it is taught in the academy.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    I'm an instructor through our Governor's Highway Safety Office (GHSO) in TN and we have several courses. The basic DUI detection and SFST course is 24 hours, which is taught to all basic recruits at the academy. They also go through the TBI's intoximeter class so that all recruits coming out are breath-test certified. The GHSO also does DUI/SFST Intro to drugs that impair (28 hours), ARIDE (Advanced Roadside Impairment & Detection) which is 16 hours, and SFST Instructor (40 hours). If you really want to go all out, you can become a DRE, but unless you're on a full-time DUI Unit or make a boat-load of DUI arrests, it's not going to be worth the time and energy. You need to stay on top of your game to keep DRE training proficient.

To answer your question in more simple terms, most courses that follow the NHTSA curriculum are around 24 hours for the basic DUI detection & SFST certification.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Barefoot Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    The basic DUI detection and SFST course is 24 hours, which is taught to all basic recruits at the academy. They also go through the TBI's intoximeter class so that all recruits coming out are breath-test certified.
    We've been lobbying for years to get both of those courses (and radar school) added to the recruit curriculum. Instead we got a new class about ethics.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT936 View Post
    We've been lobbying for years to get both of those courses (and radar school) added to the recruit curriculum. Instead we got a new class about ethics.
    The class through GHSO has only been in our academy the last four years in TN. You would think that this would be mandatory across the board given the amount of DUIs that are contested in court. I would say it's probably the most contested crime any given day in any courtroom. Why? because everyone is virtually arrested for it!

Forum Member
    Here the SFST certification is one 40hr week (drug impairment training included), and the intoxilizer machine operator course is 3 days.

These are the two that is required to do your own DUI arrest instead of having to have someone qualified in a particular area come in and assist. In my dept it is mandatory that everyone be DWI certified for patrol.
    Last edited by creolecop; 01-17-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Forum Member

Do you guys actually get certified or are you trained?

Our agency's around here and the DA's are very firm that we are not "certified" in SFST's, but we are "trained." We don't get a certificate or pocket card with the training, so I guess that is the hang up.

Forum Member
    I believe it might be simply an argument in the language. You can be "certified" to administer the SFST's in a sense if you were trained, evaluated, and passed. Our recruits have a written test and they have to be evaulated by an Instructor while explaining and demonstrating the SFSTs to an actual impaired subject in a controlled environment. We have "wet labs" in every class where we have people drink a certain amount of liquor and get them up to the presumptive (or per se) limit of .08%. The drinker can elect to go to .08% or .14%. Sometimes they can climb even higher depending on several factors (tolerance, sex, weight, food eaten prior to consumption, etc). The alcohol is measured and the time-frame of consumption is controlled and they submit to a breath test before, during, and after their last drink. So the BACs are substantially controlled in our test subjects prior to allowing the recruits to administer the SFSTs. Now obviously this is just Phase III of the three phases of DUI detection according to the NHTSA manual, but I don't believe you can't use the word "certified." Wonder what the DA feels is necessary for the officer to claim certified? Actual participant in the NHTSA study? Our jurisdiction only allows "expert" testimony in the HGN because of the scientific issues associated with nystagmus, but I don't see a "certification" issue with the WAT & OLS.

Forum Member

Not really sure where it came from but I think it comes from the documentation.

We do all the same stuff you listed. I think the issue came when someone said "certified" in court and the defense asked for his certification card. It is a language thing but I can say certified in regards to radar/pbt/laser and whip out a pocket card as evidence, I can't do the same with SFST's.

Of course I have an in-car camera and I've yet to go to trial on a DUI/OUI.

Opionated
    In NJ, you must have at least 1 year full time on the street before you can become certified on the Alcotest and SFST/HGN.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Conservitum Americum
    I took a 3 day field sobriety test certification class with "wet lab" instructed by the state highway patrol. I received a wallet card and wall certificate and had to refresh every year. I would think that would qualify as a certification.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    I believe it might be simply an argument in the language. You can be "certified" to administer the SFST's in a sense if you were trained, evaluated, and passed. Our recruits have a written test and they have to be evaulated by an Instructor while explaining and demonstrating the SFSTs to an actual impaired subject in a controlled environment. We have "wet labs" in every class where we have people drink a certain amount of liquor and get them up to the presumptive (or per se) limit of .08%. The drinker can elect to go to .08% or .14%. Sometimes they can climb even higher depending on several factors (tolerance, sex, weight, food eaten prior to consumption, etc). The alcohol is measured and the time-frame of consumption is controlled and they submit to a breath test before, during, and after their last drink. So the BACs are substantially controlled in our test subjects prior to allowing the recruits to administer the SFSTs. Now obviously this is just Phase III of the three phases of DUI detection according to the NHTSA manual, but I don't believe you can't use the word "certified." Wonder what the DA feels is necessary for the officer to claim certified? Actual participant in the NHTSA study? Our jurisdiction only allows "expert" testimony in the HGN because of the scientific issues associated with nystagmus, but I don't see a "certification" issue with the WAT & OLS.
    After 20 documented hit nhtsa will certify you in hgn

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mallninja View Post
    You are certified to administer the NHTSA SFST's, including HGN, upon successful completion of the NHTSA 24hr SFST practitioner course. No additional testing or documentation is required.

Weekend Warrior

What state are you in?

As a reserve in SC, I am Advanced DUI/SFST certified. This consists of a 32 hour class. I am also TASER certified.

As a reserve, I am able to take any training or certifications offered as long as I meet the pre-requisites for the class. I think the next class I take will either be ARIDE or RADAR.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by usmcrob View Post
    You are certified to administer the NHTSA SFST's, including HGN, upon successful completion of the NHTSA 24hr SFST practitioner course. No additional testing or documentation is required.
    In nj the requirements are different. 40 hrs including wet lab and video
    For 10 hits. 10 more come from non-training to be certified in nj. of course you don't have to be hgn certified for dwi arrest and conviction.
    http://njsp.org/divorg/invest/alcohol-drug-unit.html

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mallninja View Post
    I agree, but the state of TN doesn't see it that way.

Forum Member

I am in Mississippi

Forum Member

My SFST class was 40 hours