Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Police Officer, Sheriff Deputy, or State Trooper

Forum Member

Police Officer, Sheriff Deputy, or State Trooper

Hi guys and sorry to bother you all. Ever since I was real young, I have always wanted to be a police officer and I will be starting college soon and it will be getting one step closer to my dream. I was just wondering if you had a time where you were either a Officer,Deputy, or Trooper and what did you like about it and if you rather be in a other area of law enforcment. I've thought a little about being a trooper, but when i think of a trooper, wouldn't most of your time doing traffic enforcment or accidents? I never really thought of becoming a Sheriff Deputy and I realize its being like a regular police Officer, but you have the whole county. Where I live at..police does the main city of 30,000 people, and sheriffs does the cities around us population being 500-2000 people, and Deputies dont do much inside the city. Being a Police Officer is all I have dreamed about. You get to respond to calls and do traffic..not saying that you cant do that being a Deputy or Trooper. It just seems like city police would be more of what im "use" to doing ride along with city police officers. I was just wondering if you have had a time, and if you were either a Officer,Deputy, or a Trooper, what are some of the pros and cons about it and if you could switch from being a tropper say to being a police officer would you?
    Thanks for your time, and I apperciate it,
    Futurecop29
    Last edited by futurecop29; 01-10-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Forum Member

Hope that you are happy with which ever one you choose to pursue.

However, in the mean time, please work on your grammar.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
    Quote Originally Posted by futurecop29 View Post
    Hi guys and sorry to bother you all. Ever since i was real young, i have always wanted to be a police officer and I will be starting college soon and its getting one step closer. I was just wondering if you have time and you were either a officer,deputy, or trooper what did you like about it and if you rather be in a other area of law enforcment. I've thought a little about being a trooper, but when i think of a trooper, isent most of the time you are either doing traffic enforcment for accidents? I never really thought of becoming a Sheriff Deputy. I relaize its like being a regular police department, but you have the whole county. Where i live at..police does the main city of 30,000 people, and sherrifs do the cities around us popularion 500-2000 people, and they dont do much inside the city. Police Officer is all i have dreamed about. You get to respond to calls and do traffic..not saying that you cant do that being a deputy or trooper, its just seems city police would be more of what im "use" to doing ridealong with city police officers. I was just wondering if you have time, and if you were either a officer,deputy, or a trooper what were the pros/cons about it and if you would switch from being a tropper say to being a police officer.
    Thanks for your time, and i apperciate it,
    Futurecop29
    Well, if you wanna be a cop, why would you even consider being a State Trooper? Sort of like saying you want to be a man, but wearing a dress and lipstick...
    c.whicker likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by K40 View Post
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience
    Quote Originally Posted by PtlCop View Post
    Well, if you wanna be a cop, why would you even consider being a State Trooper? Sort of like saying you want to be a man, but wearing a dress and lipstick...
    LOL. Priceless.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

It's Complicated
    You should be ducking ................................and running
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Signal 42
    I see lots of....stuff, flying your way in no time.
    In God we trust. All others we run NCIC.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Forum Member

PtlCop....I'll give you a hand. I always wanted to be a State Trooper growing up. Then when I grew up I decided I wanted to work for a living.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

It's Complicated

Hi guys and sorry to bother you all. Ever since i was real young, i have always wanted to be a police officer and I will be starting college soon and its getting one step closer. I was just wondering if you have time and you were either a officer,deputy, or trooper what did you like about it and if you rather be in a other area of law enforcment. I've thought a little about being a trooper, but when i think of a trooper, isent most of the time you are either doing traffic enforcment for accidents?
    Several State Police agencies have other duties /assignments besides uniformed patrol. Some are true State Police in that they handle many of the same cases as a “police officer” except on a statewide basis.

Other State DPS (Department of Public Safety) agencies have divisions that are promotable into from the “State Trooper” level. We have the Division of Criminal Investigation and Division of Drug Enforcement, as well as a Fire Marshal division. While you don’t have to be a trooper to get into those divisions, they do promote a lot of troopers to the other divisions.

One DPS that does require one to be a trooper before promoting to the “Texas Rangers” is the Texas DPS.
    I never really thought of becoming a Sheriff Deputy. I relaize its like being a regular police department, but you have the whole county. Where i live at..police does the main city of 30,000 people, and sherrifs do the cities around us popularion 500-2000 people, and they dont do much inside the city.
    The police does the main law enforcement for my city of 250,000------but each sheriff’s deputy has just as much authority inside that city as the police officers do------------------plus they also have that authority throughout the entire county.

I probably made more arrests in the city than I did in the county (traffic arrests , OWI’s & DUS charges)

Police Officer is all i have dreamed about. You get to respond to calls and do traffic..not saying that you cant do that being a deputy or trooper, its just seems city police would be more of what im "use" to doing ridealong with city police officers. I was just wondering if you have time, and if you were either a officer,deputy, or a trooper what were the pros/cons about it and if you would switch from being a tropper say to being a police officer.
    Do what you like……………………do what you want. You really don’t want this job unless you are doing the job, at the place you want, with the powers you want.
    There are pros and cons for every facet of law enforcement. There is also a job description that most people like------you just have to find it……………………..THEN get hired there.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Sorry for the spelling and grammar errors. I was typing pretty fast and wasen't paying a whole lot of attention. I can promise that it will never happen again on this forrum.

Forum Member
    Apply to all three types of agencies and see who hires you.

Good luck

Forum Member

Sorry for the spelling and grammar errors. I was typing pretty fast and wasen't paying a whole lot of attention. I can promise that it will never happen again on this forrum.
    Good!! That was a little more better.

Forum Member
    If you're qualified for both apply to all three. I'd go with whoever hires me or the highest paying.

I wouldn't pass the color vision test to work for the state police here.

OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDog4907 View Post
    PtlCop....I'll give you a hand. I always wanted to be a State Trooper growing up. Then when I grew up I decided I wanted to work for a living.
    I was going to be a State Trooper, but decided to finish high school instead.
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

The FNG
    I was going to be a State Trooper, but decided to finish high school instead.
    I was going to be a State Trooper, but my head wasn't big enough to fit in the fancy-pants hat.

Futurecop.... Focus on getting through high school, then finish college. No need to get your panties all riled up before you even get out of high school!

I think that Deputies maybe have the best of both worlds, can roam the entire county, and can assist on all the good calls and fights, but never have to shag paperwork. If you like taking calls, then a PD is the route to take.

Forum Member
    The real men become Game Wardens!! We have state and Federal jurisdiction and we deal with hunters with loaded weapons on a daily basis. Many of which have just committed a violation, hence the reason we are there

In all honesty I have a ton of respect for my local Sheriff's deputies and state troopers. If I'm in the area I back them up on a regular basis and they're always there when I call for them on the radio.

OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewarden3006 View Post
    The real men become Game Wardens!! We have state and Federal jurisdiction and we deal with hunters with loaded weapons on a daily basis. Many of which have just committed a violation, hence the reason we are there

In all honesty I have a ton of respect for my local Sheriff's deputies and state troopers. If I'm in the area I back them up on a regular basis and they're always there when I call for them on the radio.
    Raccoon Rangers
    Turtle Troopers
    Squirrel Sheriff's
    Opossum Police

Forum Member
    My vote is for Deputy.

Jail, Court Security, Patrol, Warrants, Civil Process. Lotss of good assignments, depending on the agency, of course.

Littering and...
    I have always wanted to be a police officer and I will be starting college soon and it will be getting one step closer to my dream. if you could switch from being a tropper say to being a police officer
    Why entertain a high school kid in his fantasy world? Finish HS and live like a rock star for a few years. Then come back and use the SEARCH function regarding Officer vs Deputy vs Trooper ad nauseum threads.

I'm not sure if being a tropper is very appealing to anyone...whatever it is.

Half Way to AARP
    Raccoon Rangers
    Turtle Troopers
    Squirrel Sheriff's
    Opossum Police
    'Possum Police, actually.

Also...

Geese Police
    Tree Troopers
    Trout Troopers
    River Rangers

I was once all of the above.

Forum Member
    I enjoyed being a ranger. The free house was nice. I just couldn't stand the hippy d***** bags that I worked with. I wish I could do it somewhere else.

Cop, Trainer & Locksmith
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDog4907 View Post
    Hope that you are happy with which ever one you choose to pursue.

However, in the mean time, please work on your grammar.
    +1

The amount of paperwork in ANY of the jobs is quite significant. Learning to write a good report will help tremendously! One of the things I have seen in my time as a city cop is that the quality of reports has diminished a great deal over time. This is not meant as a slam on anyone, but rather an observation. Being able to communicate and paying attention to detail (such as grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.) will help you not only as a LEO but in life in general.

One more thing. . . KEEP YOUR RECORD CLEAN! One dumb decision when you are young could destroy your chances at having any future in law enforcement. I have seen many people have their dreams destroyed when they found out something they did in their youth came back and bit them on the butt later in life. Choices, ALL choices, have consequences.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jericho; 01-11-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    "Luck" is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
    www.lockpicktraining.com

"Professional training in practical entry techniques."

Go on, touch it...

Never say never. You misspelled "wasn't" (wasen't).

Trooper, Deputy, City Cop, it doesn't matter, we're all pretty.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MPDCjock View Post
    Apply to all three types of agencies and see who hires you.

Good luck

That! ^

I this market, beggars can't be choosers. Especially in Minnesota where I hear the job market for LEOs is terrible. If a respectable PD, Sheriff's office or State Agency wants to hire you, don't turn them down. Even if it isn't your dream agency, you can put in a few years then move onto bigger and better things.

In the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by gamewarden3006 View Post
    Ah. Someone said it for me.
    I don't know the OP or his qualifications; but statistically speaking, he likely doesn't have what it takes to do the job. Being a game warden, conservation officer, or whatever title is applied, is one of the most difficult and dangerous law enforcement jobs out there. The educational and physical requirements alone force most prospects into something easier like a PD, SO, or HP.
    Then again, he may be a great candidate to become a resource officer if he becomes aware of the job and doesn't listen to the nick-names spewed by the ignorant.
    End Rant

Forum Member
    Boys, boys, boys, this is just silly - local Police vs Sheriff vs State Police vs State Game / Conservation; really now, everybody knows that are far as being in Law Enforcement, you are either a Regular Member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, or you only wish you were!
    Just callin' 'em as I sees 'em! PM full - e-mail me.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last