Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Forum Member

ICE 1801 Technical Enforcement Officer 1801

Any ICE SA's out there have any current info on this position? Any near future openings in the works?

SHU
    Forum Member
    Are those the guys who break in and plant bugs? If so that is a sweet gig.

Forum Member

I asked a similar question on another board a few months ago, and an ICE agent said it's always one of those a opening is coming soon kind of thing.

Heard it's a great gig with a take home and 24/7 carry.

USPIS had an opening a few weeks ago for technical agents (similar job different title) so that's something to look for.

Other agencies do have similar positions but I have heard the ICE spot is unique in that it is not a collateral duty like it is in most agencies.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by lauderdalehawk4 View Post
    I have heard the ICE spot is unique in that it is not a collateral duty like it is in most agencies.
    Its a sweet gig if you can get it.....

They are 6c/12d covered, carry 24/7, take home ride in most cases, and don't have a case load like SA's do....and top out at GS-13 (same as Agents).

They do want you to have some expereince (depending on the Hiring Grade) but they send everyone to FLETC for specialized training....

This job tends to not be a step over to 1811 spot.....ICE wants people that want to stay in it for good.....

At least that's what the guys out here have told me..... They are supposed to have an opening soon due to a retirement.
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 01-05-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Forum Member

Good to hear, I used to do similar work with a municipal agency but was unarmed. Currently with ICE ERO, would be a nice transition. Anyone know what specialized training is received @ FLETC? and how long it is?

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by alien11 View Post
    Anyone know what specialized training is received @ FLETC? and how long it is?

From what the guys out here told me it was training class that ICE did @ FLETC for their folks.... Gentleman's Course....not sure of the length.....

They didn't really get into it because of the nature of the beast.....but one can suspect it has to do with surveillance, wires, etc....and how to do them legally and sneaky.....

Forum Member
    Are there any age limits on these positions?

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitlow View Post
    Are there any age limits on these positions?
    6c/12d Coverage means you have to be under 37 unless you are a Vet......as it's 20 year LEO retirement......

Why so serious?
    I don't work for ICE, but do work as a 1811 with another agency that has 1801 TEO's. They (along with our 1811 special agents trained and assigned to technical units) assist special agents working cases with technical surveillance equipment (i.e. surveillance cameras, audio/video intercept equipment, GPS tracking equipment, etc.). They're commonly referred to as the "wires and pliers" folks, and for the most part it seems like a good gig. I've seen our guys do some amazing work in disguising surveillance equipment to look like everyday surroundings, kinda like "Q" from the old James Bond movies.

Probably not a job easily attained by someone without a technical background (i.e. it would probably be a long shot for a recent CJ grad with no prior LE or tech background to land the job). Our 1811 agents typically have to have a few years on before they can put in for a Tech position, the 1801 TEO's are hired directly to the position.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    I don't work for ICE, but do work as a 1811 with another agency that has 1801 TEO's. They (along with our 1811 special agents trained and assigned to technical units) assist special agents working cases with technical surveillance equipment (i.e. surveillance cameras, audio/video intercept equipment, GPS tracking equipment, etc.). They're commonly referred to as the "wires and pliers" folks, and for the most part it seems like a good gig. I've seen our guys do some amazing work in disguising surveillance equipment to look like everyday surroundings, kinda like "Q" from the old James Bond movies.

Probably not a job easily attained by someone without a technical background (i.e. it would probably be a long shot for a recent CJ grad with no prior LE or tech background to land the job). Our 1811 agents typically have to have a few years on before they can put in for a Tech position, the 1801 TEO's are hired directly to the position.
    Which Agency is this?

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by alien11 View Post
    which agency is this?
    ncis

Forum Member

I have an extensive background in the film business. Do you think this could qualify me?

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgalvi20 View Post
    I have an extensive background in the film business. Do you think this could qualify me?
    You need an electronics background....and have done surveillance work in the past... It clearly stats that in the 2-3 USAJOBs annoucements that are currently open.....

Forum Member

The announcement lists promotion potential to GS-12, just FYI. Seems to be a sweet gig though.

Operator
    Some locations are 13s. It would be a sweet gig if you had what they are looking for......

As stated above 20 year retirement, Creds, take-home rides in some cases, etc.....

The San Antonio annoucement makes it look like they are wanting folks with skills already and not someone that would be learning them. Not sure about the others......

Forum Member

I think I probably do qualify. I have a solid background in both respects. Are there any more agencies that are hiring surveillance techs right now? How many agencies give surveillance techs the ability to carry? I've never heard of that.

Forum Member

Are there any TEO on the board that would be willing to PM me? Or anyone from the SAT FO..

Forum Member

Interesting, I wonder if we'll finally see other locations open up like was said over a year ago. Good gig.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgalvi20 View Post
    How many agencies give surveillance techs the ability to carry? I've never heard of that.

CBP and ICE are the only two that I know of....but you never know. Just need to read the annoucements....

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by lmnop View Post
    Are there any TEO on the board that would be willing to PM me? Or anyone from the SAT FO..
    There are none....

Forum Member

Our TEO has been on for quite some time, and he came with a crapload of experience from the military. It is a good gig if you are into that sort of thing though. He regularly helps out on surveillance and enforcement ops. But, he is the guy who sets up and operates T-3 equipment, pole cams, ect. As far as training goes, I believe there is a specific TEO course at FLETC. Not sure if that is just for HSI or for all agencies. I have seen some TEOs listed in the graduation lists from ICESAT too, so I'm not sure if they are attending that or not. Anyway, take home car and no duty, though you are the on-call guy for all tech stuff.

Tinfoil Hat Engineer
    As already noted, the selection process will weed out anyone who does not already have an advanced background in electrical engineering and the technical/legal aspects of surveillance; both covert and overt. These positions are few and far between and a successful candidate will have years of experience gained through working Title IIIs, covert applications of video, know the in’s and out’s of wire-line telephones, have coordinated with Telco’s and wireless providers.

This is not to dissuade you from applying, but to reinforce that this is not a journeyman (learn as you go) position, but one that would almost certainly require you to hit the wire running.

Forum Member

Not to be a voice of dissent, but to add some other views - I disagree. I've known a number of TEOs who were hired with a basic understanding of some tech work (even on the commercial side). I don't know that many of them that have advanced EE degrees. They aren't designing and building their own systems after all. You are correct, there aren't too many TEOs out there really (though they keep saying they're going to hire more), but what they generally look for is aptitude...or as one TEO buddy likes to say "is this dude a slug or not? can I work with them or not stand to be around them?"

There are a number of schools you can go to, but I do believe HSI has their own tech school at FLETC, as well as the basic technical surveillance school that FLETC has.

Like anything, apply apply apply. Amazing how some folks with stellar quals on paper never seem to get gigs that people who apply and interview well do.

Operator
    Yes, they will send folks through the school at FLETC.....but starting at a GS-9, you have to bring a lot to the table than just basic knowledge or a year or two of experience....

Guys/gals out here that I've met are top notch and have said basicially what I posted.....

Take it for what its worth.

Forum Member

but what they generally look for is aptitude...or as one TEO buddy likes to say "is this dude a slug or not? can I work with them or not stand to be around them?"

I sure wish they would apply that philosophy to the 1811 position!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last