Forum Member

Dealer Temporary License Plate

We've been seeing an influx of fake temporary tags in my area, especially ones which claim to be "Official Georgia Dealer Temporary License Plates."

They are white with black letters and say "Sold by a licensed independent Automobile Dealer" in large letters. That and usually the handwritten expiration date is the only thing you can see until you have the car stopped. There is smaller sticker listing two serial numbers and then a handwritten VIN, make/model, year, and dealer ID.

Some of the early ones we saw had a halogram and looked at least somewhat legit, but people never had any paperwork to back them up and usually admitting to buying the cars from local auctions and the tags from "some guy." Most of the tags we are seeing now are clearly poor copies with no halogram and some of the "serial numbers" match ones I've already got.

So, are there actual tags like this in Georgia, or are they completely bogus? If real, what are the guidelines for issuing/using them? Can anyone provide me a good picture of what a real one looks like and what documents would back-up a real one?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks for your help and happy holidays!

Forum Member

I have stopped quite a few people riding around with way crazier tags then this, my favorite kind of PC "TAG APPLIED FOR", yeah really, most of the time I can get them to admit they bought the car more the 60 days ago immediatly putting that person in violation of 40-2-38. I digress, to ans your question yes we have tags like this in GA, a legit one will have a "secure strip" with the date that the Temp tag is valid until, not exceeding 30 days from the original date of sale, again the only time you can get that date pushed out is if the dealer messes up, the dealer has to apply for it. In addition its supposed to have a vin number, make, model, & dealer ID, on it if you happen to come across a vehicle without all of these on the tag its a fake tag they probably made up. I stopped a car dealer riding around with bogus tags, I dealt accordingly with him because he had his suspended tag in the vehicle with him, he knew exactly what he was doing, as do most who are driving on made up tags. Its so rampant in the city that I find myself on my way to/from work, checking temp tags for all those things, of course I never do anything without my handy dandy blue lights.

I will try and post a pic of a legit one...
    Last edited by MJhopeful-LEO; 12-22-2010 at 08:20 AM.
    "PALMAM QUI MERUIT FERAT"

Forum Member
    Crap like that makes me giggle.

It ends up w/ and Unregistered Vehicle cite, and a call for a hook if thier insurance is jacked up, along w/ any other appropriate cites.

Forum Member
    OCGA 40-2-8

(B)(i) Any dealer of new or used motor vehicles shall issue to the purchaser of a vehicle at the time of sale thereof, unless at such time the purchaser makes application to transfer to such vehicle in accordance with this chapter a valid license plate issued to him or her or unless such vehicle is to be registered under the International Registration Plan, a temporary plate which may bear the dealer's name and location and shall bear, in characters not less than one-quarter of an inch wide and one and one-half inches high, the expiration date of the period within which the purchaser is required by Code Section 40-2-20 to register such vehicle. Such temporary plates shall be made of heavy stock paper, inscribed with indelible ink, and designed to resist deterioration or fading due to exposure to the elements during the period for which display is required. The expiration date, the vehicle identification number, and the year, make, and model of the vehicle shall be handprinted on the plate at the time of issuance by use of an indelible ink marker, with contrasting ink, provided that the month of expiration shall be indicated by complete word or by three-letter abbreviation thereof. The expiration date of such a temporary plate may be revised and extended by the county tag agent only if an extension of the purchaser's initial registration period has been granted as provided by Code Section 40-2-20. Such temporary plate shall not resemble a license plate issued by this state and shall be issued without charge or fee therefor. Such temporary plate shall be surrendered to the tag agent at the time the vehicle is registered, and the tag agent shall destroy such temporary plate. The requirements of this subparagraph do not apply to a dealer whose primary business is the sale of salvage motor vehicles and other vehicles on which total loss claims have been paid by insurers.

(ii) All temporary plates issued by dealers to purchasers of vehicles shall be of a standard design prescribed by regulation promulgated by the department in accordance with the requirements of this subparagraph. All temporary plates shall be required to have a holographic security image and a write-resistant overlay with security features such that any attempt to change or modify the expiration date on the temporary plate will show immediate signs of tampering. All holographic security images required under this division and manufactured on or after July 1, 2005, shall be numbered with a separate and distinct number at the point of manufacture. All holographic security images affixed to temporary plates on or after January 1, 2006, shall be numbered as required by this division.

nom de plume

Isn't there a lighting.
    Last edited by ryker; 04-09-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Forum Member
    40-2-5 through 40-2-7 all deal with improperly transferred plates, altered plates, concealing vehicle identity with false plates, etc. If it's a stolen tag then theft by receiving stolen property would apply. I'm not aware of any specific 40 codes that deal with possession of stolen tags.

Forum Member

Great, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the responses!

Forum Member
    Sorry wrong state.
    Both of you shut up...I can only listen to one person lie to me at a time!

Forum Member
    Is there any paper work that they are supposed to carry in the vehicle at all times like South Carolina?

Forum Member

Actually a new system has been implemented in GA where the dealers are issuing temporary tags that have actual numbers on it that can be run and it will bring back that vehicle. I've seen several already and actually like the new system. Certainly makes it easier to figure out when the vehicle was purchased etc. I believe the program started in December and all dealerships/dealers are required to participate.